Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Nakitaninja

Fake Dollfie Dreams?!

BeyondTime

With both my resins the neck hook is under so much tension there is no way I would risk a vinyl head on them. Without enough tension the self standing parts in the legs don't work correctly, so I can't really loosen them either.

A bit off topic here, but while I find resin more beautiful I think the DD skeleton is more pose friendly. Lately I've been playing around with poses for my Makoto Kikuchi based on her dance routines from Platinum Stars. She can hold posses that would never work with a strung resin. I'm looking forward to trying things out with the new DDP body when they arrive.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

galatia9
With both my resins the neck hook is under so much tension there is no way I would risk a vinyl head on them. Without enough tension the self standing parts in the legs don't work correctly, so I can't really loosen them either.

I have one of my DD boys on a resin body. I use a plastic neck donut from CoolCat under the s-hook. I also cut his neck hole a little wider with an exacto knife to accomodate the s-hook. I don't think I would do that with a limited head, though.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

Danielle Silver

Good to know there are no fakes... it's like plague in bjd world

Lookame

I’ve been curious about fakes because any big ticket/ expensive and popular item is prone to possible fakes or reproductions made. Is vinyl a hard material to work with than resin? Or are resin dolls more popular so they make it more worth it to recast?

K-2
I’ve been curious about fakes because any big ticket/ expensive and popular item is prone to possible fakes or reproductions made. Is vinyl a hard material to work with than resin? Or are resin dolls more popular so they make it more worth it to recast?

You can make the molds and cast resin in your kitchen. In order to make the vinyl exterior parts and plastic interior parts you would need a lot of expensive specialized equipment.

https://www.obitsu.co.jp/process/index.html

http://www.rutlandplastics.co.uk/plastics-moulding-methods/moulding-process/

If you were going to go that far you would probably be making knockoffs of something a bit more lucrative than dolls or at least the ones that are more expensive (like resins).

MVSig.jpg

Amara77

Both...like K-2 said it's just not economical to try and produce most vinyl doll knockoffs, there is also that resin dolls tend to be more expensive/limited, but mostly I think it's the process. You'd also need to replicate the internal skeleton as well.

Although I'm curious about injection type like Danny Choo is doing I wonder if that will change anything?

I mean I think if they were made like that it would be easy to spot a fake for sure, but again would even this process be worth it?

I think for now we don't need to worry about this issue...as far as DD are concerned

*Edit*

Nevermind just looked at the links K-2 provided looks like injection would be just as complicated

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

Lookame

Very good to know. I didn’t take into account how easily resin is to cast or that it’s easier to cast at home(not that it’s easier per say but the materials are easier to obtain) plus there are various sources online which tell you how to go about the casting resin whether it be eyes, necklaces, a clay sculpture ect. Makes me wonder how these recasters get their molds though...are they buying the read deal and making the silicone mold from those and selling them or what. I realize I’m getting off topic now...

To bring it back to dollfies I also didn’t take into account the engineering they have specifically. They have their internal structure as well as the vinyl outer pieces. That would be much more work. Has anyone considered the possibility of fake outfits like from the character fullsets or their special outfits? I imagine it probably falls under the same line of it’s a lot of work...I’m just curious. Also, I haven’t seen or heard of knockoff outfits...it was just a thought like hmm...I wonder if someone has attempted to do a cheap remake of those...

Rosie
Very good to know. I didn’t take into account how easily resin is to cast or that it’s easier to cast at home(not that it’s easier per say but the materials are easier to obtain) plus there are various sources online which tell you how to go about the casting resin whether it be eyes, necklaces, a clay sculpture ect. Makes me wonder how these recasters get their molds though...are they buying the read deal and making the silicone mold from those and selling them or what. I realize I’m getting off topic now...

To bring it back to dollfies I also didn’t take into account the engineering they have specifically. They have their internal structure as well as the vinyl outer pieces. That would be much more work. Has anyone considered the possibility of fake outfits like from the character fullsets or their special outfits? I imagine it probably falls under the same line of it’s a lot of work...I’m just curious. Also, I haven’t seen or heard of knockoff outfits...it was just a thought like hmm...I wonder if someone has attempted to do a cheap remake of those...

They buy the real deal to make their silicone mold yes. That or they know someone who is willing to lend theirs to them. Sometimes they buy recasts to make recasts, and then they have what s known as recast-shrinkage, because for each time they make a new mold, the actual doll get a bit smaller, so a third generation recast should be significantly smaller than the original.

Outfits could be copied, easily and 100% legally. It's hard to take copyright on something simple as clothing, which is why high end brands have their logos plastered all over their stuff, because their logo is copyrighted but the basic design not so much. Only cosplays MIGHT actually be illegal, because the original maker of the character can have copyright on their character design and thereby their outfits, IF their outfits are something truly unique and not just say a school uniform, though they can have copyright on the school logo and then it would be illegal to make clothes with that logo on... In theory. Copyright is complicated.

Amara77

I think recasting the resin as a whole is easier it's easier to make a resin mold overall. I see people that make molds of heads they have to use as mannequins with other materials as well.

Like Rosie said you just buy a doll and cast a mold. I've made molds for eyes and such it's not a very complicated process actually.

There are actually recast companies that people prefer because they have "higher grade" recasts than others.

The process of making vinyl while cheaper overall is more complicated to do from home.

There are plenty of knock off outfits, but none are being sold as a "Volks" set or what have you.

They tend to be just similar looking sets. Alice Collections gets them a lot.

I guess I wouldn't call them knock off more like a copycat outfit.

But then again that happens with human clothing as well. If something is in high demand other companies will make their own version.

Plus you are well aware that it is from said company so you're not really being tricked into buying/paying for something it's not. Although comparatively Volks sets aren't usually that much more than the copycat version. Sometimes you may actually like the copy set, or just can't get your hands on the real one. This however is totally legit.

There are people who make cosplay sets, like Cherry Milk although they tend to limit the number so I assume this helps avoid copyright issues.

There is no shortage of knock off sets like this even for humans though if you look at Halloween costumes cleverly changed names lol like Super Sailor Celestial Girl costume etc.

With clothing it's kind of the same thing it's going to cost you as much time and materials to perfectly replicate a set.

Spoke too soon....

cfx

From everything I've read, Cherry Milk and Ginger Tea license the cosplay clotthing they make, and I believe that has to be the case since they sell at Dolpa.

They've made some of the same Idolmaster outfits as Volks. I suspect maybe they have released them first but I don't really know. Their pricing certainly doesn't beat Volks and aftermarket they're usually much higher.

Ginger Tea for example has their own version of the Snow Miku Crane Priestess outfit. http://ginger.3rin.net/ and http://www.cherrymilk.jp/

Amara77
From everything I've read, Cherry Milk and Ginger Tea license the cosplay clotthing they make, and I believe that has to be the case since they sell at Dolpa.

They've made some of the same Idolmaster outfits as Volks. I suspect maybe they have released them first but I don't really know. Their pricing certainly doesn't beat Volks and aftermarket they're usually much higher.

Ginger Tea for example has their own version of the Snow Miku Crane Priestess outfit. http://ginger.3rin.net/ and http://www.cherrymilk.jp/

I didn't know they were licensed but that makes sense since it's mostly sold at Dolpas.

But ya they almost always beat Volks to the punch with their sets

I mean look Volks finally just released Sailor Moon

Edited by Guest

Spoke too soon....

cfx

I don't know if it's always licensed, but here's a couple of examples on Mandarke of things that definitely are:

Their outfits seem really nice and wish they were more available to those outside of Japan and unable to go to the events where they sell. When Mandarake gets something it's expensive and generally sells out quickly. They made Snow Miku outfits that Volks hasn't.

Anna-neko

Their outfits seem really nice and wish they were more available to those outside of Japan and unable to go to the events where they sell

preeeeeetty sure the only reason they get their temp approval stickers from big companies holding expensive IP copyrights is precisely why they can't be sold outside of events to people elsewhere. They're given the go-ahead to sell the small number of items only made for that specific fan-gathering, thats it

cfx

While I hadn't consdiered it, that makes perfect sense, because full-blown licensing like Volks pays is no doubt not feasible for them.

Of course they're not concerned with any overseas market, which would be pretty tiny for them anyway. Just a little disappointing to see this cool stuff that we generally can't buy, at any price.

SakuraSylph

Yes, the Cherry Milk & Ginger Tea outfits are licensed for sale at Dolpa. Volks requires it, and not many dealers go through the hoops. Consequently there's barely any cosplay or props for sale at Dolpa, which feels weird as a buyer until you know the reason why.

I wouldn't say that Cherry Milk outfits are impossible to obtain for a non-Japanese. Proxies will buy them from YJ for you, as one option. Our very own DD Forums has had Vocaloid, Idolmaster, Fate, and Aria ones for sale here in the past.. The Aria one is still there now, and I think Rin's Senbonzakura might be too unless it sold. Overall they are indeed rare, but they do show up from time to time!

SakuraSylph

xandman

Hi all.

Sorry for necro-ing this topic.

But i just saw a Miki Hoshii selling for 1.3k usd at a shop near my place.

When asked, the seller said it’s made in china.

That made me wonder.

I thought DDs are made in Japan? Is there any made in China?

Or could it be this Miki is a china copy?

Please enlighten.

Thanks!

BeyondTime

DD's are make in Japan. I'd be curious to see photos of the doll in question.

This post, and the one it links to is probably the best thing on the issues with recasting vinyls.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=287&start=140#p214629

If the Miki you are looking at was made of resin it might make more sense for her to be a recast.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

xandman

Good to know and confirm that DDs are made in Japan.

It could be that the seller is not really into DDs.

So he thought DDs are similar to Azone stuff.

36253206_2094606673901489_6614013365394079744_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=990c309c2cfdac0c3695483edc1a17ed&oe=5BDF61AB

The box is on the top left hand corner.

Thats the best pic available from seller's fb.

Looks pretty legit to me. But then again, i am new to this.

K-2

Azone vinyls are made by the Obitsu Plastic Manufacturing Co., Ltd., located in Tokyo, Japan.

MVSig.jpg

cfx

Given that the rest of what is visible in that picture is figures from Good Smile Company, S.H.Figuarts and others from Bandai, and various prize figures, all of which are made in China, isn't it just as likely he's just misinformed about where DDs come from? Do the yellow boxes have a "made in Japan" somewhere on them even? (I'm asking...I don't know.)

The DDs could be counterfeit, but since there seem to be basically no reports of such existing, it doesn't seem very likely. $1200 or so is an insane deal for Miki Hoshii (wish I could buy her for that price), but I've seen things like that in physical stores before and can be the case for many reasons. Maybe they're not up on the current value of something. Maybe in their market that's what they think they can get. Maybe they got her at release and don't feel scalping her that high is something they want to do. Who knows.

Monty

It could also be that he received her from a Chinese seller or something and just assumed that meant she was made there?

xandman

Azone vinyls are made by the Obitsu Plastic Manufacturing Co., Ltd., located in Tokyo, Japan.

Ahhhh ok!

I was wrong all this while then.

Always thought Obitsus were made in China.

I guess we learn new stuff everyday.

Thanks for correcting me k2.

xandman

From your replies, most likely it's not a fake.

And that thing has been there for quite sometime.

1.3k usd might be a bit too steep for Malaysians since it is arnd RM5k.

CeliathePikachu

User F15alice has just posted via their Instagram that a recast Snow Miku has been spotted. It appears to be made from ABS. They have it up on their story highlights under the title DD recast.

https://instagram.com/f15dolls

Currently at home: Autumn (DD2 DDH-01), Sakura (MDD3 DDH-08), Haku (Mio Akiyama), Mashiro (Mashiro Mito), Kaito (Vocaloid KAITO)

Mashiro Mito is my wife and I love her!