Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

eroge-maid

why do YOU like DD?

JChiibs

I'm really surprised that I haven't posted in here yet, I thought I had!

I have always loved dolls, especially Barbie in the 80s. But as I got older she morphed into something I wasn't drawn to even though I still cherished dolls, they seemed only to be good for filling shelf space. Then I stumbled into the Sims games and easily became addicted because I felt like I could play with my dolls all over again, making up stories in my head was just a bonus. Eventually I learned how to make stuff to put in the game, but the sheer amount of time it took for even simple things was staggering. Much of the time I wanted to be working with my hands, and slowly started collecting American Girl dolls. Through searching for AG stuff I ran across the tip of the iceberg of BJD and was fascinated but it wasn't plausible at that point. My Sims addiction passed the 10 year point (I still love Sims 2 the best because the Sims weren't so baseline ugly) and I do play occasionally, but the changes in Sims 3 and how objects are created for the game just changed too much for me to adapt. It was disheartening that one of the biggest creative outlets for myself was gone.

Sure I had my AG and could sew for them, but on the design end of it they have the versatility of a log. I had tried to sew Barbie clothes and it was just too much of a pain because of the scale but I hadn't figured out pattern drafting yet so my few attempts were a lesson in frustration. I had even started to research and learn how to make my own soft sculpture/fabric dolls so I would have the body shapes I wanted to design for. Sometimes it just felt like a lot of work and I would be completely annoyed by it before I could get to the part I wanted to be working on.

Then Raven found the DD through Danny Choo. I instantly fell in love because the girls were so beautiful, they weren't small dolls, and they completely reminded me of the BJD. They also looked like real versions of Sims I could have made all the years I spent in the game. For a very long time I researched a lot of different avenues to see if there were some dolls that I could use to make my own 'Realistic Sims' and the DD with all of their possibilities are exactly that.

I hated that I never had anyone to really show my Sim's stories to, and taking screenshots never really felt like they were my own original photos, despite all the work it took to do. Unlike Barbie and AG, the DD were finally the perfect match for me because of their fantastic possibility, making their movements more realistic like the Sim animations are. Having the anime look to them is just a bonus, but I rarely did realistic looking Sims because I loved making them look more cartoonish. Even just the DD themselves are so wonderful to look at, hold, and interact with.

The other major reason I love the DD is because of these wonderful forums. Without a place to share my silly Tamayuki stories and have nice things said about them, oogling and drooling over other people's girls, and just having loads of fun in the process, I'm not sure if I would be as fanatic about them as I am.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

kyojie011

For me, my passion in the fashion world brought me to buy dd, i love fashion and i love to style people esp girls (my friends).. But sometimes, they don't like to be styled. So best solution is to get a dd,, i can buy clothes and style them by mixing n matching and later take my doll's photo.. ^^, other than that, i fall in love with shining wind kureha and would love to see her in dd form, so i decided to make one once before i re-make up it into my current girl.. ^^,

I started off seeing BJDs on deviantArt a while ago. This was when I was starting to think about doing Toy Photography. I then started playing around with a Playscale Indiana Jones figure I had. (Think Barbie size) It was so much fun taking pictures of him, but the articulation was lacking. So, when Indy finally met his demise, I decided to upgrade to something bigger and better. (Isn't that the american way?) I love how realistic they look, how much articulation they have, and how completely customizable they are. They take breathtaking photos and I don't think I could ever go back.

Talolili

Let's see... I like the anime like style they have and the customization. They are just so much fun!

AriDonut

Basically two reasons; I love dolls and anime . Dollfie Dream faceups seem sweet and cute I love that look on a doll. Some other BJDs are too realistic and creepy so I think I'll stick with the cute dolls .

sofiel

Im not sure how i came to like DD at all.

I started in the bjd world, with resin, and realistic faces. And i love that.

I didnt find DD's attractive at all... I thought they had weird bodies, and their faces were odd.

Somehow in the last 6 months thought, i guess i turned on a switch in my brain that was off.

Because now i cant get over how much i like them xD

I love the bodies and how they look in clothes.

Their posing is SOO much easier than with a bjd. By far.

I dont find their faces weird at all anymore. (okay well maybe some still are to me xD)

But there are a handful that i think are just gorgeous~

Still not exactly sure what part of my tastes changed for me to suddenly start liking DD's.

Guess it will just be a mystery xD

galatia9

Like a few others here, I started off with resin BJDs. The first BJD I knew I wanted was a very anime-looking girl, and she was the fifth one I brought home. And I have always preferred a more anime look in my BJDs, as opposed to a realistic look. But I found out about DDs soon after I started acquiring BJDs, and always wanted one. I have a DDII body now, and I do love how lightweight and ultraposable it is compared to my resin dolls. And just like the BJDs, I love how customizable DDs are.

I do watch some anime and read some manga, but I am not a rabid fan. I prefer the stories about real people and not so much the fantasy ones. So it is definitely an influence, and that is probably why I like the look of DDs so much. It is just so hard to choose which one I want! Right now I have plans for only two, but I am afraid I will want to bring home more!! Every one I see seems cuter than the last. I love the sexy ones, but I am more drawn to the cute girls when it comes to acquisition. I think I would like a few of each.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

Dolly

I have always love dolls, I played with them as a child, collected Barbies as a teen, and eventually discovered 1/6 Dollfies and Volks SD's, which seemed like the "perfect" dolls to me because I loved anime and preferred dolls with joints. I am actually partial to resin over vinyl (due to staining/durability issues), so it took me awhile to warm up to the idea of a DD. But I adore their curvy, stylized bodies, and their faces just make me melt! Whenever I try to say, "no, I should stick with resin dolls", I see a pic of a DD and I just turn into a puddle of goo.

My first BJD was one of the most stylized ones in existence (Volks Nono, love her to bits!), and I always preferred Volks DD outfits over the SD ones, so I guess it is no surprise that I eventually caved!

<3 At home: Smartdoll Dimension & Onward 

(*) Wishing for: Dollfie Dream

Sailorcosmos

Without wanting to sound like a parrot, but I started off with resin as well. Actually, started with porcelain dolls. So, I was never afraid of dolls and can usually find something of beauty in almost any well-made doll style.

I appreciated Dollfie Dreams as part of the Volks family. They just didn't fit in until I made a character that was a living mechanical doll. Originally I was going to go with HDD-03, but ended up with my we Alna after falling hard.

At first I only wanted one DD and Alna filled that slot up. But, now I find myself want at least two more DD. I like that they are so different from my resin dolls. They can wear the same clothes, but they are just so different.

Keijogirl

I started in resin camp, but kept looking at DDs a little here and there. At first they were too stylized for me, but then the more i looked at them the more i wanted one. But never really took the plunge to get into them just because I thought they were weird (seriously, I even thought their hair was rooted) xD

It wasn't until I got to see and play with one in person that I truly started liking and wanting a DD to bring home, I had liked them from afar, on Volks' website. Just gawking, but never with my wallet ready. Especially when they had the character dolls up on the Volks USA site for a while.

However, goofing off with billy's whole crew and actually seeing how pose-able and cute they are in person, I finally started cooking up ideas for a couple of girls of my own. :3

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

baldylox
However, goofing off with billy's whole crew and actually seeing how pose-able and cute they are in person, I finally started cooking up ideas for a couple of girls of my own. :3

Heh heh heh.... my enabling has finally paid off! It will start with you and then the others in the group will soon follow. Then ALL of you will have DD's!

BWAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

I love my job!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Misheru

Hmmm...I blame KOSMOS.

I have always collected dolls. Barbies for as long as I can remember (early childhood), on to Tonners/Ellowynes and some 15-16 inch fashion resin. I never got into resin BJD (60cm range, with the exception of Toph and she came after my DDs).

Then I played my first real video game. Xenosaga (III to be exact). I was in love with the characters, the style, just everything. I wanted more and more. This lead to anime (Hand Maid May was the first). I found DDs while searching for figures and knew that is what I wanted "someday".

My doll collecting had evolved to the point that I had left behind the fashion dolls for the most part and I really wanted something more custom. For our 10th anniversary, my husband and I decided to gift each other with a special doll. He wanted a custom 60cm Obitsu and I wanted a DD. I got Miu and that was the beginning of dolly love.

I, too, love the very curvy figures (Dynamite is my favorite body, of course!) and sweet happy faces. I like that I can "make them my own". I just love them. Most of mine are based on anime characters that I identify with. I just like happy dolls and DDs make me smile.

That is the bottom line as to why I like them.

~ Misheru...the *M* in H&M House of Vinyl ~ ℒℴѵℯ❤

( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒) ˚₊✩‧ All your dolliehs are belong to us! ✩‧₊˚ ( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒)

Semienigma

Heh heh heh.... my enabling has finally paid off! It will start with you and then the others in the group will soon follow. Then ALL of you will have DD's!

BWAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

I love my job!

Billy

This is all your fault Billy! Now i'm actually buying one o.o Seriously I found my Yukino on here with a body and eeeeeeeeverything. I am so gonna get her after I get back from Columbia! XD *Falls off the Edge* I regret NOTHING!

Cocoa (Custom Tan Yukino) is currently taking over my house, and soon...THE WORLD! Now Mocha's here...And Latte too...this escalated quickly didn't it...Wait...is that...is that SABER EXTRA?! and now there's a Yukari

http://www.semienigma.wordpress.com

extravagantawesome

I like the big size of the DD's and the fact that i can create any character i want to! A big plus is that i can buy a base doll which is not possible with Pullip or Blythe dolls! The possibilities with DD's are nearly endless and i hope in future they will make a male body that would be so cool!

evilbluepoptart

I have read everyone's one here and like most of you I have always been into anime and the Japanese culture. I started going to anime conventions in middle school and occasionally I would see these people with these strange dolls (BJDs) but I didn't know much about them and though most were creepy. Then as I started to evolve my interests outside of JUST anime and decided to buy a few figures, I started to love BJDs but never knew anyone with one or how to get one. So it wasn't something I decided I would try to buy. It wasn't until about a year or so ago that I met my best friend who is HUGE in the BJD community in my state and I fell in love with her boys. I would look around online and think "gee, I wonder if they have any that look more anime or that are less child-like" and I came across Danny choo's site. I fell in love with those pretty girls but didn't even know what they were. It wasn't until my friend told me they were from Volks and I became OBSESSED with looking at them and dreaming about having one. Then I went to a con back in Sept. and by that point knew I wanted one but wasn't totally motivated because of the price...but at that con I saw a girl with two of them and she let me hold one of her girls and it was instant love. And now I am only about $150 away from being able to buy my first girl! I hope to have her soon and be able to officially share the love as all of you do!

But I don't understand when several of you say they are cheaper than resin dolls??? All of the resin SDs or even some of the Dollmore model dolls I want which are WAAY bigger than DD are CHEAPER than DD...so I don't get that...but I definitely like that DD can't be strung too tight or too floppy and will be more stable than a BJD.

JChiibs
But I don't understand when several of you say they are cheaper than resin dolls??? All of the resin SDs or even some of the Dollmore model dolls I want which are WAAY bigger than DD are CHEAPER than DD...so I don't get that...but I definitely like that DD can't be strung too tight or too floppy and will be more stable than a BJD.

I have been drooling over a 63cm Soul Doll for months now and to get him (with eyes) and a Leeke World wig he would be $750 and no clothes included. My first version of my MDD Tamayuiki (when he had the girl S bust) was $340 plus shipping, and my husband's DD Yuriko was $350 plus shipping and that includes the blue striped underwear set for her too. The same doll (with underwear set) currently would be $382 plus shipping. So yes, DD are cheaper.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Yukamina

I have been drooling over a 63cm Soul Doll for months now and to get him (with eyes) and a Leeke World wig he would be $750 and no clothes included. My first version of my MDD Tamayuiki (when he had the girl S bust) was $340 plus shipping, and my husband's DD Yuriko was $350 plus shipping and that includes the blue striped underwear set for her too. The same doll (with underwear set) currently would be $382 plus shipping. So yes, DD are cheaper.

~Sister Kyoya

DD are only cheaper if you buy the blank parts to build your own... Even then, MDDs tend to be more expensive than resin BJDs of the same size (ex. Luts Kid Delfs are $240). The character dolls are so expensive :o especially second hand.

Jezrah

Well yes, but that's because they're a fullset. A fullset resin doll from Volks costs more- even the standard model SD13s that only come with a slip are $823. The new Creamy Mami release is a fullset character, and she costs over $1400. From Fairyland a tiny Pukipuki fullset costs about $300, and a larger Feeple60 fullset runs about $800. So it really depends on the company, whether it's fullset, and what kind of parts are included in the set.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

SchroedingersCat

I suppose for me the anime style is the main appeal of dollfies. They're like giant, posable anime figurines. Dolls that look more human just trigger the uncanny valley for me, while other more stylised dolls just don't grab me at all.

Now with +/- 15% more uncertainty!

Yukamina

Yeah, prices vary a lot company to company... I'm glad I'm not into Volks Super Dollfie because the prices are astronomical. I tend to go for blank dolls myself.

Nigoki
I suppose for me the anime style is the main appeal of dollfies. They're like giant, posable anime figurines. Dolls that look more human just trigger the uncanny valley for me, while other more stylised dolls just don't grab me at all.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I got into DDs; their appeal as enormous, crazily high quality representations of Anime characters. It just helped that some of my favourite characters of all time have their very own DDs .

evilbluepoptart

Yeah I have seen several fullset resin dolls that are still less than DD full sets and naked dolls still less than Yukino or Aoi So to me DD is more expensive but I like them WAY better than most resin dolls so it doesn't really matter to me. I was just wondering how you figured they were cheaper because all of my experiences with trying to buy a DD whether it be brand new or second hand are way more expensive than all the resin dolls I would love to have...which aren't many tbh. And yeah all Volks merchandise is crazy expensive compared to other resin companies. I don't get it >.

Guy9394

for several reasons that are converged to the same point:

1) I mainly stick with 1/7 and 1/8 anime figures with dynamic poses so I didn't pay attention to dolls. When a friend talked about 1/6s with real cloth clothes I found it to be a bit off since the fabric is way too thick relative to the figure since it is using 1/1 sized cloth. Well then, if the figure is bigger then it would look less odd. So I entered the 1/3 territory to test the waters... didn't get out

2) I was stressed out at the time and I needed some distractions. Researching on DD helped me stop thinking about other stuff.

3) Beatrice. Enough said. But I wasn't able to get one.

4) The possibility of creating a custom character if I have the right parts. End up getting a SQLab head and did the modding and painting. Results were not impressive but learned a lot in the process.

5) being a dude, there are a lot of territories that will always seem mystical and forbidden. I couldn't resist the thought of buying female outfits (of course not for me), applying makeup and a bunch of other stuff.

6) The idea of spending way too much on hobbies and told myself that "If I can have 1 super awesome figure, I'll stop spending on lots of other things. I only need one!" Well, that didn't work, I'm up to my 3rd with 4th coming.

DejahThoris

I just feel drawn to the DD style. I've seen, and owned, other BJD's, and I remember first seeing SD's in an import figure/modeling magazine my dad had when I was a kid, and while wildly intriguing they weren't my thing. Years later, I'm browsing the internet and saw a Sasara and immediately fell in love. Browsed around some more and they're all so lovely. I guess it's the fuller-figure compared to most dolls.

elfinder

One of my favorite things is how much lighter DD are! I have at the moment only resin bjd. But I've always planned to get a DD girl in my doll family. Comes in handy for dollmeets where I gotta take transit as such, also conventions.