Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

littlebearries

What Manga are you reading?

littlebearries

I've started a few new series:

Oreimo ~ (cute, but more pervy than the anime... so far... still not bad though)

Blue Exorcist ~ I've only read the first one, but it's pretty adorable.

Mayo Chiki! ~ It was cute... but I'm not sure how I feel about continuing to buy it.

Toradora! ~ LOVE this! Why are there only 5 volumes in the US??? WHY????

Higurashi When They Cry ~ I've read the first two arcs and may I say... creeeeeeeepy

Durarara! ~ Interesting so far. I enjoy the mythology in it, and I'm interested to see where it's going.

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

SchroedingersCat

Agree with the comment about Toradora. I adore both the manga and anime for it, and its a pity it hasn't been completed here. Yet, at least.

On Oreimo, I've never read or watched any of it due to the content, but is it actually good? I'll admit that enough different people have mentioned it, at least in passing, that I'm beginning to, get curious.

Now with +/- 15% more uncertainty!

baldylox
I've started a few new series:

Oreimo ~ (cute, but more pervy than the anime... so far... still not bad though)

Blue Exorcist ~ I've only read the first one, but it's pretty adorable.

Mayo Chiki! ~ It was cute... but I'm not sure how I feel about continuing to buy it.

Toradora! ~ LOVE this! Why are there only 5 volumes in the US??? WHY????

I've seen all the anime for the above manga you mention and all of them were great. ESPECIALLY Toradora. THAT show was excellent....

Higurashi When They Cry ~ I've read the first two arcs and may I say... creeeeeeeepy

I'LL SAY! I have all the volumes out in English so far and while some may not be quite as good as others, overall this story is intense and oh so friggin creepy. And it's due to those EYES. Those dead, angry, EVIL eyes the girls get when they are upset or angry. I used to see those in my dreams....

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Anna-neko
On Oreimo, I've never read or watched any of it due to the content, but is it actually good? I'll admit that enough different people have mentioned it, at least in passing, that I'm beginning to, get curious.

if you enjoyed Toradora's main girl (blankin on her name) being a total bitchy tsundere... you may enjoy Oreimo as Kirino is exactly the same useless stereotype. Her world centers on eroge "little sister" genre things, and she drags everyone around her (well, brother practically kicking and screaming and some new otaku sorta friends) into it

BTW, I actually hated Toradora, but liked Oreimo... go fig

And Oreimo anime is a bit similar to Genshiken (dunno if you've seen that. Its excellent!) in the way that each episode focuses on a specific area of the otaku world (collecting, fanfic/doujin writing, massive fan events, maid cafe.. etc)

littlebearries

if you enjoyed Toradora's main girl (blankin on her name) being a total bitchy tsundere... you may enjoy Oreimo as Kirino is exactly the same useless stereotype. Her world centers on eroge "little sister" genre things, and she drags everyone around her (well, brother practically kicking and screaming and some new otaku sorta friends) into it

BTW, I actually hated Toradora, but liked Oreimo... go fig

And Oreimo anime is a bit similar to Genshiken (dunno if you've seen that. Its excellent!) in the way that each episode focuses on a specific area of the otaku world (collecting, fanfic/doujin writing, massive fan events, maid cafe.. etc)

Did you read the manga, or are you only talking about the anime here... since you talk about episodes?

For me there is often a huge difference between the manga and anime versions of things... and it's always based on how annoying the voice actors are.

In the manga, Taiga is often sweet, vulnerable and adorable.

Yes, she's often also a little jerk-face... but her vulnerability is very apparent.

I've read a bit of Genshiken... and I do enjoy it... but other than both being about "collectors" I'd say the flavor of the two manga are very different. Oreimo is more like "Oh, tee hee hee! What happens if totally cute girls in skimpy clothes are into... omg... fetish anime?!" where Genshiken is much more of a sausage fest focusing on the guys who *wish* there were girls like the Oreimo girls. In other words... I find Genshiken much more believable and I can relate to it a lot more, because the characters seem less contrived to me... mostly because I've known people *exactly* like quite a few of them, LOL. (and that is not a criticism )

On Oreimo, I've never read or watched any of it due to the content, but is it actually good?

That... is a good question. LOL.

In the US, only the first two volumes are out... and I just got the second one and haven't read it yet.

It's cute... but you have to be able to tolerate some fan service... nothing as bad as High School of the Dead... but still, unnecessary panty and "down the shirt" shots as the manga tries to accentuate the whole "sexy/vulnerable little sister" thing.

A friend of mine has watched quite a bit of the anime, because she was curious after hearing so many people mention it... and she can't get over the plot where it seems that the brother and sister might actually become an "item"(especially since there are a great number of non-direct-blood-relative girls who are interested in the main boy's attention)

And I can't say I blame her... I may give up on Oreimo as well if that's truly where it's heading.

Anna-neko

@Littleberries - both! Watched some anime, read some manga

Its true, sometimes even with similar basic story, the difference between the show & book is huge. Like Ouran High School Host Club anime may be shorter, but its superior in the looks department (nothing but love to the manga-ka, but the anime look was much better rounded out)

...yeah.. Taiga's dere-dere side never reached me in the manga either. Sorry series, I must of become far too jaded to the moe stereotypes goin around that year (on the same note, the whole "little sister" wave of inappropriateness goin around in series at the time was seriously getting out of hand! Come on Japan, stop being creepy with wanting to get into imouto's frilly pants)

starswirl

I've been reading Rosario Vampire & Psycho Busters recently. Both I'm liking so far!

katnaper

Been reading Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. Can't say if I like it or not but I still wanna find out what happens next though.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

Shailara

Ahhh I've been reading a LOT of manga lately XD;;;

Tower of God (korean webcomic)

Witch Hunter (korean) -mentioned it in my previous post too-

Tomodachi no Hanashi (really liked this one altho only 3 chapter) -this one also-

Dear, Only You Don't Know (korean webcomic)

Fairy Tail

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Bleach

Soul Eater

Dark Air (korean)

Lessa (korean webcomic)

Deadman Wonderland

Kingdom Hearts 2

Natsumeki!!

Hadaka no Taiyou

Ally of Justice

Gangsta (anyone who's read Dogs: Bullets and Carnage might like this too)

Zyklus;Code

Nickelodeon (finished it, but putting it here because it has REALLY refreshing art and chapters only last 9 pages each, each one is a one-shot supposedly)

And then a few random webcomics from around and some random yaois XD

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

katnaper

Just finished a Korean manwha called "Love in the Mask" also finished the Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro along with a few of its doujinshi. Loved both of them.

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

HPotaku

Right now I'm reading Kimi ni Todoke and I'm loving it. I really want to watch the anime now.

HimeNeko

I'm not reading any right now, but my all time favorite is Remei no Arcana (or Dawn of the Arcana).

On temporary hiatus.

Home: Charlotte (DDS Mayu)

Saving: currently none

Eribella

Well, right now i'm reading Naruto and Shaman king, once again ^^

Ravendruid

I'm currently trying to (very slowly) read the latest issue of Comic Yuri Hime, in Japanese. The kanji is a huge struggle for me, but I find that the hiragana is coming much faster, much easier, while working through this than it ever has before, and I'm actually starting to pick up a little bit of the katakana, which has ALWAYS eluded me previously. Plus I'm starting to recognize some of the words by sight. It's really neat that they use a variety of fonts, so it makes me really pay attention to the differences between similar characters.

It's pretty fun, with a lot of variety, kind of like Shonen Jump, but with a lot more romance/drama, and a LOT less fighting. Yuriko made me order it

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

lordloss

Woo! manga talk! My own tastes are pretty eclectic so im always jumping from one genre to the other all the time, so heres my list

eerie quiree

negima!

alone in my kings harem

only the ring finger knows

naruto (ocassionaly)

and whatever weird thing i can find in the shonen jump.

there is no such thing as perfection. and i can only hope, with all my might that no such thing ever does exsist. kind of implies a limit to how amazing a person can be or something like that.....

katnaper

Currently following

-Pureblood Boyfriend

-Noblesse

-Naruto (just because I want to know what happened next)

-Fairy Tail (filling the void left by the anime)

-Kamisama Kiss (waiting for the ending)

-Kimi ni Todoke

AnnaOctober

Actively following:

Yuuyami takkoutai (it's getting a bit boring as of late, also following Pico pico shounen & hiscore Girl by the same author)

Mitarai tante i mitara iki Yoshinoji ken kiro ku

Detective Conan (I read practically anything in this genre)

Assassination Classroom

Boku dake ga inai machi

Biorg Trinity

Tokyo Ghoul

XXXHOLiC

Hōzuki no rei tetsu

Fuan no tane+

Series that update so infrequently, I only read when I stumble upon a new chapter 3 or 4 times a year:

Oyasumi Punpun

Kindaichi Case Files

Daidai wa, Han Tōmei ni Nidone suru

Seikai oni

Hyakkiyakoushou

Prison School

Also rereading all the manga collab between Aki Shimizu & Natsuhiko Kyogoku, namely the Kyōgokudō Series

tangy_melon

I am really into skip beat right now! I never read it before because I didn't like the art style but I started watching the anime and I really wanted to know what happens next so manga it was! The art ended up growing on me too

Semienigma

Just finished King of Thorn, it was fun but don't watch the movie of the same name. Its blah!

Currently reading:

Alice in the Country of hearts

Are you Alice

Dogs Bullets and Carnage

Noblesse

Kamisama Kiss

Loveless (this thing is so heading into blah territory...)

Soul Eater

Soul Eater Not!

Otomen

That's all I can think of right now. Favorite Manga of all time: Angel Sanctuary.

Cocoa (Custom Tan Yukino) is currently taking over my house, and soon...THE WORLD! Now Mocha's here...And Latte too...this escalated quickly didn't it...Wait...is that...is that SABER EXTRA?! and now there's a Yukari

http://www.semienigma.wordpress.com

YuukiNico

Hi At the moment I'm reading:

-Good Ending

-Dark Rabbit (Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi)

-To Love Ru Darkness

-Triage X

baldylox

Only one at the moment, the newest Yotsuba!, volume 12. I seriously love this manga and really wish the mangaka would do an anime version of it. But he has said MANY times that he has no plans to make an anime of it until the series is finished. And he has also said he has NO idea when it will be finished, if ever.

Still, I find myself rereading the whole series quite often as the scenarios never get old. That and I am in love with Fuuka.....

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

JChiibs

Finally decided to splurge my Christmas money on more manga instead of being responsible with it (aka putting it towards my business) and I can say I don't regret it one bit.

Picked up #16 of Ouran, opened the cover after I got home and nearly started crying seeing Honey and Mori in cap & gown. It has taken me so long to get the final books just because I don't want it to end. Never in my life did I think I'd ever love a manga this much. It might be another year before I get #17 to put off the inevitable, but what a horrible spot for #16 to end! I'm so torn because on the other hand I want to buy the last two right away and see what happens, but then it will be over. How do uber fans deal with their favorite series ending? I've never had to deal with this before, but even my screen name reminds me of how much I love it.

On some happier notes, I also picked up the first book of Soul Eater. I have seen the entire anime but just hadn't gotten around to the manga. OMG Black Star and Stein are so much cuter in the manga! And I love the fact that the manga drawings aren't as purely innocent as the anime. Black Star looks like he could be one of Tamayuki's friends! I nearly died when I saw the one picture of Death the Kid in glasses! He looked like Kyoya the Kid, Death the Megane, or something like that, but it was awesome! I can't wait until Crona pops up eventually. Even after watching the anime and loving Soul, I can say that I've never really understood his relationship with Maka. Even just in the first book I think I'm starting to understand a tiny bit better but it is still confusing. Oh. Darn. I will just have to buy more to really understand it. (Actually Raven and I ordered books 2 & 3 shortly after we got home from the bookstore. )

I grabbed the only two Saiyuki that they had, Saiyuki #2 and Saiyuki Reloaded #7. I found out about the anime after seeing a Saiyuki poster on JList last year and had to find out who the glasses guy was (Cho Hakkai). I know, its an embarrassing addiction... I can't help it, but I have found a lot of awesome anime/manga that way! So the Saiyuki manga was the same as some of the anime I have, but I expected that and didn't mind at all. I actually like having the 'stills' version, I just love manga artwork. Saiyuki tends to be one of those that you can just fall into it along the line and not be too horribly confused. I knew very little about Saiyuki Reloaded, and jumping into it with the 7th book was mildly confusing, but yet again I still loved it. Some action don't always translate well for me in manga format (Letter Bee for one) but I didn't have that problem at all with Saiyuki. If nothing else, I can use my colored pencils to color in the complicated scenes to have them make more sense to me. The lack of color sometimes can make things hard to identify in complicated panels.

The last one I got was finally the first BLEACH manga! I have been wanting to start on this for ages, but with the series being so huge it would drive me nuts not starting at the beginning. I've seen the first episode of the anime but a dyslexic trying to read subtitles on an action anime... is not fun. Much to my surprise I like the manga way more than I was afraid I would. This generally can be a bit of a slippery slope for me. If it is just too geared for boys and filled with constant 'let's fight' scenes there isn't enough to keep my interest. If they veer more towards the situationally or visually funny direction then it can hold my interest. I never expected grouchy looking Ichigo to have so many funny facial expressions. I love how the art style borders between realistic manga and slightly more cartoony (often in the same panel), but it really works well together. I can't wait to delve further into the series!

Manga: Candy for my eyeballs.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

littlebearries
Only one at the moment, the newest Yotsuba!, volume 12. I seriously love this manga and really wish the mangaka would do an anime version of it. But he has said MANY times that he has no plans to make an anime of it until the series is finished. And he has also said he has NO idea when it will be finished, if ever.

Still, I find myself rereading the whole series quite often as the scenarios never get old. That and I am in love with Fuuka.....

Billy

YAY! It will continue indefinitely!!! I reread it all the time too... it's just so happy... although I'm not in love with Fuuka, but I do like her, lol.

katnaper

Picked up #16 of Ouran, opened the cover after I got home and nearly started crying seeing Honey and Mori in cap & gown. It has taken me so long to get the final books just because I don't want it to end. Never in my life did I think I'd ever love a manga this much. It might be another year before I get #17 to put off the inevitable, but what a horrible spot for #16 to end! I'm so torn because on the other hand I want to buy the last two right away and see what happens, but then it will be over. How do uber fans deal with their favorite series ending? I've never had to deal with this before, but even my screen name reminds me of how much I love it.

I know how you feel. In my case though, I had to have the whole series, even though I'd already read the whole thing online. I wanted to be able to read them anytime. Its my feel good manga and I love reading it over and over again.

The last one I got was finally the first BLEACH manga! I have been wanting to start on this for ages, but with the series being so huge it would drive me nuts not starting at the beginning. I've seen the first episode of the anime but a dyslexic trying to read subtitles on an action anime... is not fun. Much to my surprise I like the manga way more than I was afraid I would. This generally can be a bit of a slippery slope for me. If it is just too geared for boys and filled with constant 'let's fight' scenes there isn't enough to keep my interest. If they veer more towards the situationally or visually funny direction then it can hold my interest. I never expected grouchy looking Ichigo to have so many funny facial expressions.

~Sister Kyoya

Ichigo is awesome. I never read the manga or bought it being torn between Fairy Tail, One Piece and Kimi ni Todoke as my next manga to start getting, but I saw the anime and both me and hubby loved it. We loved it a lot that i made a shinigami outfit for my daughter to cosplay in on Halloween (she was Yachiru). I might have to add Bleach to my manga to get list.

What I would love to get in an actual book form is Noblesse an online manhwa from Korea. If they ever compile it in book form, I would be hightailing it to the bookstore so fast. I just love the art and story.

DarkAvenger696

so maybe I'm a weirdo but I read manga online...since alot of the stuff I am reading that I really enjoy hasnt been released in English yet...currently my addiction is 'Iris Zero' I absolutely love it it has a very similar feel to Spiral and I am collecting that manga since it IS in English fufufufufu oh and I am also currently reading My boyfriend is a Vampire which will always make me giggle XD