Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Averis

What Anime are you watching?

Akito

Well... first of all, I started to watch anime in 2005. But I've never watched Neon genesis evangelion. So I'm watching it finally now and I'm in the middle of the series. I had a thing back then that I was very suspicious towards to really famous series. As it's available on Netflix, decided finally try it. No regrets.   

Tasuke
On 8/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, finnleo said:

Haruhi Suzumiya S1 & 2 -- As a bit of a effort in modernizing some pieces of my collection, the master of disaster is still quality entertainment at least for the first season ... the second season taking a bit of a hit due to part of the story reserved for it being lifted for the Movie... Nagato is still best girl.

a rather imperfect series, IMO, but nevertheless one that bestowed unto me two of my favorite Anime girls of all time;

Mikuru_-_Minmay_1-3-21_RESIZE_30.jpg?wid

Yuki_Nagato_Sweet_Witch_RESIZE_35.jpg?wi

Edited by Tasuke

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

baldylox

I've been super busy with work and other things so my anime watching time has been drastically shortened as of late.  But I did start watching one yesterday called "High Rise Invasion". It's quite violent but the premise is pretty cool and the characters are interesting.  

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Veravey

Oh boy, I don't know know why but I'm going through a re-watch period, or finishing shows I dropped long ago. This is likely because I feel extra stressed lately so I watch things I can half pay attention to. I recently finished:

- Gatsu No Lion (re-watch, what a blessed show)

- Danganronpa (finishing after dropping)

- K-On (re-watch)

- And currently on the Monogatari franchise (on season 2 now; I couldn't recap myself so I had to start over :'>)

And new titles I started and /finished include DanMachi (all 3 seasons), Demon Slayer, and Jujutsu Kaisen.

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

finnleo

Well this season seems rather nice considering whats on offer at my end:

Eighty six -- need to have your dystopia fix I guess... so far nothing special, sawano hiroyuki music included.

Higehiro -- this could be a bit of a touchy series for some, but so far seem to deal with the topic nicely though some scenes might still be a bit too much.

Koikimo -- a bit more traditional take on the latter, though as a nice change of pace the heroine isnt all sparkly eyes over the lead schmoo.

Nagatoro-san -- a slightly grown up Karakai jousu Takagi-san on steroids.

To your eternety -- A bit of a space filler, since it seems to have a bit of a storytelling issue in my opinion, but seems like there might be a payoff in this in the end...

Osamake -- Triangle (or quadro?) love drama ... a bit of a space filler which works with the basiscs.

Demon lord Omega -- I was a bit curious how this would continue, and not really caring about certain dimensional rules gives it some worthwhile resuts, which make for certain theories about the plot ... all this despite the slightly too saucy service bits ...

Farewell my dear cramer -- Who would have thought that after Your lie in april, youd get a football (or soccer for you 'muricans) series from the same original author ... seems rather amusing still, despite the animation isnt quite up there with what april had.

But the definate pics of the season are still:

Zombie land saga revenge -- I was worried about this, and they seem to have upped the game promptly as witnessed in the last few eps, with certain peculiar assumed homages thrown in the mix throughout.

So I am spider -- The start of S2 was a bit precarious with kumoko turning into a bit of a bully at that point, but once the balances of power returned to near normal, entertainment has been gauranteed... but -- This series has taken quite the turn into the dark side of things how the lead character thinks and acts...

Spoiler

as in "I think Pretty boys taste better."

Its harrowing and hilarious at the same time.

Tasuke

going through the 1989 GAINAX classic Nadia; THE SECRET OF BLUE WATER on Blu-Ray for the second time now.

the series has many high points... alas it suffers a great deal of lows as well...

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 1

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

ChrisFhey

Recently started watching Shokugeki no Souma, and I am enjoying it way more than I initially expected.

I've not really watched anime in a while, so I'm mostly playing catch-up on some older shows that I was going to watch, but never actually did.

• Like 1

Shamrock
On 5/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, Tasuke said:

going through the 1989 GAINAX classic Nadia; THE SECRET OF BLUE WATER on Blu-Ray for the second time now.

the series has many high points... alas it suffers a great deal of lows as well...

Oh I miss Nadia!  I don't think I ever finished watching it.  I've been wanting to rewatch Escaflowne and Slayers...

SleepingElf

My hubby and I just finished up Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Very sweet and cute. We limited ourselves to an episode a day and I found I enjoyed that so much more than just blasting through everything in a single sitting like we used to.

As for what to watch next... I'm not really sure! I have a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to watch/rewatch but nothing is catching my fancy at the moment. Might give Gurren Lagann another go since a friend wants to see it. Gotta prepare myself emotionally for that one though.

ChrisFhey

Recently re-watched Yuru Yuri in its entirety after I learnt that I had never watched season 3. Not surprising I didn't, given that the second season was released in 2012, and the third was released in 2015. And then there was another special in 2019. They sure know how to delay their releases and make people forget about them. 😄

But yeah, thoroughly enjoyed watching those silly girls and their shenanigans.
Perfect if you like anime that's basically about nothing. :3

1 hour ago, SleepingElf said:

My hubby and I just finished up Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Very sweet and cute. We limited ourselves to an episode a day and I found I enjoyed that so much more than just blasting through everything in a single sitting like we used to.

I watched Kobayashi-san with a friend of mine recently, and also really enjoyed the show. I'm looking forward to season two.

Weltfremd

I recently decided to watch One Piece again ... from the beginning. So far I'm at Arlongs Arc again! This will take a long time because I'm only watching some episodes before going to sleep haha.

baldylox

I finished up both seasons of Jujutsu Kaisen yesterday and started Darwin's Game today.  JK was interesting but kind of drawn out and ended with an opening for season 3.  DG is much more fun with some serious oddball cell phone game stuff affecting the real world.  I'm only 4 episodes in but it's pretty cool.

Billy

finnleo

Something I wish I was watching ... since somewhere a galactic micro-imposion happened:

Really cute they retained the original opening theme, but with the newer cast ... and the apparent minor strife between the many sabers... also... darth-d'arc

oh well, money being what it is, can probably only swing the full collection when it comes by... as happened with Carnival Phantasm...

and now I really want a gudako even more ... oh well... (adds to list of things that will never happen.. )

Edited by finnleo

battrastard

Flipping back and forth between VanDread and Moretsu Space Pirates. 
Do want to see Nadia, though. 
Might see if rightstuffanime.com has it on blu-ray......

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

finnleo
4 hours ago, battrastard said:

Moretsu Space Pirates. 

We are unable to get more Martian successor Nadesico, unable to get more Stellvia -- but we got this ... and it is a fun one for the most part, Sailor-moon references included ... and now I want to rewatch the whole trifecta (actually I do rewatch Stellvia every now and then, Nadesico not so much because obvious non-ending reasons) ... actually haven even opened up all the laserdiscs I have for Nadesico...

Tasuke

i finally took the plunge on NADESICO a year or two back, after hearing some great things about it, off-and-on, for a good 20 years.

well, i'd like to say i was blown away, but, i was... Not.

i mean, i could see PLENTY of potential here, but, -executed as it was- i couldn't help but come away... Disappointed.

perhaps i've simply seen too much Anime in the two decades since, and, as such, my expectations are just a bit unrealistically high?

Anime_Collection_John's_6-1-21.jpg?width

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 2

baldylox

@finnleo OMG that intro is the best!  The Carnival series is always hilarious to me and this one looks to be right on with the first one.  I can't wait to watch that!  And yes, seeing the stress between red and blue Sabers in that intro made me giggle like a girl.  I hope they let those two square off somehow.

@Tasuke Your anime shelves look like mine!  Lots of classic series full of goodness!  :)  I agree that Nadesico was decent but not as earth shattering as most reviews say it was supposed to be.  Still a fun romp.

I just finished up "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!"  That was quite the fun show and it had a really neat art style with great characters and story.

Billy

SakuraSylph

@battrastard TRSI should have full-season blu-rays of Mouretsu Pirates and Nadia, assuming they aren't out of print. Good shows, well worth watching.  One thing they have in common is both have excellent OP themes - "Mouretsu Space Symphony Mvt. VII" by Momoiro Clover Z with guitars by Marty Friedman, and "Blue Water" by Morikawa Miho which also gets used to great effect as BGM internal to the show.  It's worth commenting on this because great anime OPs seem to be a lost art, more or less.

@finnleo Other genuinely good space-opera anime include Crest of the Stars, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Outlaw Star, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.  All well worth watching the whole way through.  Though also all 20+ years old, so I'm dating myself a bit here.  (I liked these four much better than Stellvia or Nadesico or Ryvius, but on the other hand I would include MoPi in the list of good ones).

These days I've been really into riichi mahjong thanks to the Yakuza games, so I watched all the mahjong anime I could find. There were two excellent ones - "Akagi" and "Legendary Gambler Tetsuya" - and one mediocre one, "Saki".  Saki was more slice of life school anime with unrealistic superpowers magical mahjong, meaning it wasn't true to the game. Akagi and Tetsuya on the other hand were seinen-aimed shows (ugly art yet seriously-treated topics) that dealt heavily into the logic, strategy, and skills behind gameplay. These were fascinating, but certainly best if you understand the rules of mahjong at least a little because both assume that the viewer does.

• Like 1

SakuraSylph

finnleo

@sakurasylph - the reason why i specifically mentioned those two alongside moretsu pirates is the link with the director/writer Tatsuo Sato. Nadesico has some aging issues, but thats sort of to be expected being one of the series that were in the forefront of the parody genre, also the total flip in mood with the Prince of darkness movie. Stellvia holds a soft spot for me because everybody in the cast hits some kind of wall in the story that they have to overcome, but again it has some age related stuff, most notoriously Xebec doing 4:3 aspect ratio stuff when their sister companies Gainax and Production IG were well into widescreen stuff, something that really hurt Fafner in the Azure originally (Though by the Right of Left ova, they were in widescreen I think...)

Sato also made a peculiar announcement that he wanted to make more of Nadesico, and Stellvia (both were sort of left hanging in terms of story ends), but the production company apparently made that impossible -- hence he went off and made Moretsu Pirates which again is quite good, but I feel it has some lineage to Nadesico and Stellvia.

Taylor's directors worklist is quite Beetrain heavy... which is an aquired taste, though im sort of interested, then again im not that into the Yamato type of stuff in terms of space operahs.

If I were to recommend an space opera it would be Gundam Blood Orphans, which to me was Sunrise taking a look at Aldnoah/Zero, and going "We can do that -- even better." -- and it really does get a bit savage -- very unorthodox for a Gundam series. Before this my recomendation for a Gundam would have been Gundam Seed (Forget about destiny which was more about selling modelkits).

To me Sunrise has always been a bit amusing, especially their Off-gundam series ... for instance when people were clamoring about Madoka Magica being all new and edgy, when Mai-HiME had pretty much done the same basic thing a good bit earlier.

--

oh well.. enough nerding out .. *goes back to his moody corner*

• Like 1

finnleo

A bit of a self indulging wiener double post ... but we all know nobody reads edits...

So the Tetsuo Sato binge is on ... and to celebrate I dug up all A/V media I could find around the subject ... I might have artbooks on the subject matters... but if I do they are behind my photostage, which hasnt seen the light of day in three years since its been in place...

51222436108_9f8476c6e2_b.jpg

things007

I sort of scratched my head a moment where I had gotten the Stellvia OST from ... and then remembered from the sticker that it was from the huge geneon fire-sale from The Right stuff... that was a sad day to be a hobbyist in the field.. but bargains were bargains.

The Nadesico LD's probably are the nicest thing in the collection:

51222436088_f178c00221_b.jpg

things008

Limited, is limited:

51222217571_6e0dbf1198_b.jpg

things009

The white box related to prince of darkness was a rather fun accident ... I bought it expecting a limited edition OST of sorts ... and I actually got the true movie audio soundtrack with dialogue, accompanied by a book with the full movie storyboard.

51222989794_e53fa701a2_b.jpg

things010

51223296020_e21984dc32_b.jpg

things011

Despite obsolete media ... my current BD player seems to have a heck of a upscaler built in and the old ADV DVD's of nadesico so far have been a giggle to watch... intended warts included.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1

Tasuke

i'm a casual Laserdisc collector myself;

CLD-3030JOHN11-18-131_zps888e09b9.jpg?wi

LD%20COLLECTION%20John%203-4-16%201%20CR

DSC_8509_zps10fa2afb.jpg?width=1920&heig

DSC_8403_zpsf4546c12.jpg?width=1920&heig

CLD-3030JOHN8-3-135_zps1cf225f3.jpg?widt

PIONEER%20CHERRY%20BLOSSOM%20SALE%20AAFE

PIONEER%20VIDEO%20COMPONENTS%20AAFES%201

PIONEER%20VIDEO%20COMPONENTS%20AAFES%201

• Like 1

Tasuke

got this coming my way;

The_Disappearance_of_Nagato_Yuki-chan.jp

Tenukihandcrafts

I've been watching Erased and Violet Evergarden.

• Like 1

SleepingElf

Found a new anime to watch- Himouto! Umaru-chan. Hubby and I can't stop laughing at this slacker girl's antics. It reminds me of Lucky Star sometimes.