Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MikoAkiko23

what kind of games do ya'll play?

Gabriel

Playing Langrisser I via the Langrisser I & II pack that recently released for PS4.

I kind of wish I had dedicated myself to playing this game a long time ago via Warsong or Langrisser translation patches on the Sega Genesis.  The reason why I didn't is the game gave an illusion of a vertical difficulty curve needing to be figured out.  In actuality, it's just a game where it expects you as a player to just go with the flow for the first couple of missions and figure things out along the way.  Since I wouldn't let it do that, it seemed far more confusing than what it was, and that's expecially embarrassing because all I really needed to do was hire a handful of mercenaries and run to a yellow square to get started on the first mission.

But when you have hundreds of romz you're trying out, any hurdle you need to cross to get into a game is a deal killer.  So, I'd chalk it up as something to figure out later and move on to the next, more intuitive game.  But then I'd never get back to it.

But spending $50 on a new game as opposed to just downloading romz is a good incentive to actually try to figure it out.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through the game.  I spent a couple of missions over the weekend just replaying the same mission a couple of times in order to unlock an alternate story path and grind for levels.  So far the game is very much my cup of tea.

Narm is my favorite commander so far, because I made her a Dragon Lord.  She commanded a flock of Angels for a while, but now she typically brings a squad of Gryphons to battle.  She's been my most deadly and efficient commander so far, just due to having powerful air units.  But I think that's about to end.  Enemy magic units are starting to become prevalent and her and her soldiers' Magic Resistance sucks, so I'll have to be more careful about deploying her air force.

cfx
2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

But when you have hundreds of romz you're trying out, any hurdle you need to cross to get into a game is a deal killer.  So, I'd chalk it up as something to figure out later and move on to the next, more intuitive game.

That's an argument I had with multiple people back in the Usenet days. Games are worth what you pay for them, more or less. When you have hundreds/thousands to look at, they become disposable and worthless.

I hope you are playing it with the Urushihara art. :)

When I first saw pictures of this with the new art, my first reaction was "ugh, another classic game ruined by replacing the original artwork with inferior generic styes" (as has happened especially with a lot of VNs like EVE and Yu-no). But then they showed it also would have the old art mode which was a surprising welcome addition.

It would be nice if they eventually do Langrisser IV and V as well. Langrisser III was a bad attempt at a real-time game and is best forgotten.

In Japan, Mesaiya had a lot of these SRPGs. One I loved was SDF Macross: Eternal Love Song; there's also a Megadrive mech one called Vixen 357.

• Like 1

Gabriel
6 minutes ago, cfx said:

That's an argument I had with multiple people back in the Usenet days. Games are worth what you pay for them, more or less. When you have hundreds/thousands to look at, they become disposable and worthless.

I hope you are playing it with the Urushihara art. :)

When I first saw pictures of this with the new art, my first reaction was "ugh, another classic game ruined by replacing the original artwork with inferior generic styes" (as has happened especially with a lot of VNs like EVE and Yu-no). But then they showed it also would have the old art mode which was a surprising welcome addition.

It would be nice if they eventually do Langrisser IV and V as well. Langrisser III was a bad attempt at a real-time game and is best forgotten.

In Japan, Mesaiya had a lot of these SRPGs. One I loved was SDF Macross: Eternal Love Song; there's also a Megadrive mech one called Vixen 357.

Well, like an uncultured savage, I'm playing it with the remastered art.  I had been playing it for a few missions before I thought to switch it and see, and by that point I had gotten used to the new character portraits.  Tonight I may try switching to classic portraits since I have a lot more characters now.  

I think I have a translated version of Vixen 357 on my Genesis flashcart.  I don't think I've ever done anything more than boot it up to make sure patching it didn't scramble it.

Did Eternal Love Song get a translation patch?  I had always wanted to play that one, but back when I was taking a peek at Turbo emulation, there was no translation or guide for it. 

• Like 1

cfx
6 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Did Eternal Love Song get a translation patch?  I had always wanted to play that one, but back when I was taking a peek at Turbo emulation, there was no translation or guide for it. 

I don't know, but if you haven't seen one, probably not.

I played it in Japanese and while I didn't understand every single thing, it wasn't too difficult to play through. But I can read a little Japanese, moreso back then. Still if you want to try it, it's nearly all the "wipe out all enemies" mission type, very few of get to a certain location, or any other different type of objective. There's one mission maybe halfway through the game where you have to survive a certain amount of times so an event happens; I can't remember beyond that what else there is as it's been nearly 20 years since I played it, I guess.

This game, along with Mesaiya's Macross 2036, really felt like Macross games to me, as opposed to just a random game with a license stuck on it. I think it's because they used the real music as well as other that fit the style and the storylines are consistent and with existing characters as well as new ones. Macross Scramble Valkyrie on the Super Famicom was a decent game but didn't really feel that much like Macross, and that capture-an-enemy-ship mechanic didn't seem like something that made any sense in the Macross universe. The weapons you buy in 2036 were mostly new things too but seemed more consistent.

• Like 1

Pit
On 3/20/2020 at 3:03 PM, Riesz said:

spacer.png

I dunno, animal crossing is pretty hardcore.  I have a badass swollen eye and I'm holding an axe I crafted myself from the scarce resources in this abandoned wilderness.

Now you just need some metal music for that axe to start cutting trees with violence. 

• Like 1

Conuresans

Aside from Granblue Fantasy, currently going through New Horizons and just got all the fruits + bamboo the other dayI would say I'm waiting on terraforming permit but tbh I'm not even remotely close to that so maaaaaaybe later. For right now, I'm just spamming my Nook Miles tickets and hoping that I get something new 😅 I still have a massive backlog to deal with eventually but for right now... Those 2 things keep me occupied enough. 

Home: Melt (DDH-09), Kano (Iris Collect), Kirika, Y'Shtola, Suzune (Iris Collect Petite)

RobotDollOmega

Figured out how to use Wine on Linux, so playing some old-ish PC games. Currently gping through GTA San Andreas XD

Thespian

I'm neck deep in Animal Crossing right now. I'm a pretty pink princess collecting bugs and fish and chopping down trees like a proper outdoorswoman. I've also been replaying Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines in anticipation for Bloodlines 2 coming out later this year (team Malkavian for the win) and I'm really hype to get my grubby mitts on Persona 5 Royal. I still haven't beaten P5 (I'm on the last boss and I'm a little underleveled for this fight), but I'm okay with that for now.

Oh, and I'm working on Pokemon Sword (already beat Shield).

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09

Any pronouns are fine

buncho

I don't have a Nintendo Switch, so I ended up digging out my copy of New Leaf just to satisfy that Animal Crossing itch I get from watching everybody else play New Horizon... I've also been meaning to restart Death Stranding. I got a very small portion of the way through it, and ended up putting it down because of work/because I'm a coward and freak out around the BTs. 😅

KingyoNingyo

I booted up Breath of the Wild again and I forgot just how beautiful this game is... when I'm not getting spanked across the wilderness by Lynels because I've failed to git gud!

Boyashiro

Dark Souls, Bloodborne and COD are my fav, I'm mostly a PS4 player. Also Minecraft and got back into GaiaOnline, but the community seems to be half of what it once was and struggling for it T__T

• Like 1

Chiakisenpai

I love RPGs and open world games. I have PS4 and Xbox so I don't play any PC games sadly.

My favorite game is KH2

Edited by Chiakisenpai

Devonian

I play mostly RPGs. At the moment the games in the rotation are Pokemon: Sheild, Neir Automata, Warframe, Deep Rock Galactic and Diablo 3. There's a few others that I'll pick up every now and then but these are my main games right now.

Anna-neko

is "VN's but heavy on the puzzle aspect" a distinct enough genre yet....

Edited by Chise

Turta

I have always been hugely into Rpg's (FF, grandia, suikoden, skyrim, dragon age, dragon's dogma, pokemon), certain life sims/simulators (sims, harvestmoon, planet Zoo) and most big nintendo titles:) (zelda, mario, donkeykong etc)

(+ horror/action Dark souls, resident evil, fighting games, tactical disgae series, oh I like many kind of games)

I used to play a lot more, but the last couple of of years I haven't really had much time to play, but switch really got me into gaming again. It's such a handy console.

finnleo

A few items have managed to draw me away from my usual FFXIV Schlog .. where I finally managed to get all jobs (apart from BLU) to 80, so I now have the sleepybird to go around in.

A few steam sale items:

Frostpunk - a rather interesting steampunk setting for a survival rts ... can be a bit frustrating, at least with the scripted missions. but probably not for everyone since it is actually a bit gruelling in terms of themes.

Subnautica - another surivival type game, though a first person exploration and construction thing. rather neat, and also rather frustrating if you happen to miss things as I did because it happened to be night when you were at a plot crucial point.

Normal steam sale items:

Command & Conquer, and C&C Red Alert remaster - This one is a giggle right from the first startup, since it starts the faux upgrade from the original DOS version of the game, and I chuckled out loud when I saw Gravis Ultrasound in the sound settings, along with the DMA, IRQ settings. Unfortunately its also rather sad to see the old Westwood logo appear, as if a ghost of christmass past. .. at least the games are still very entertaining, although it seems the difficulty has been bumped up a bit on some missions.

Some items just dug back up from under a layer of dust:

Idolmaster Platinum stars - as I playing around my rythm game selection, I spotted the case for this on my shelf, and decided to give it another bash after quickly dismissing it shortly after getting it due to progression frustrations. turned out I had quit just about when it was starting to get on a roll for me. Once moving its been oddly fun, and for what it is well put together, although the rythm game section is a bit lack luster due a lack of songs compared to the likes of Project Diva, and how the bursts are always the same animation, but it does alleviate things once you get to rotate the group leader... but on the other hand it impresses the heck out of me, that every character can sing any part of any song at will. also the motion capture team is worth a commendation -- i keep watching the The Live Kakumeki show thing in awe.

Kitty Blue

I just stumbled back into World of Warcraft after a 8yr hiatus..thanks Covid..lol. On a side note I'm curious if people have dolls based on characters from their favorite game. I have several that are loosely based on WOW characters a Draenei, Night Elf, Orc and Blood Elf (resin bjds that is) 

Crimsonhope

Currently I play FFXIV and Crusader King a lot.

Mega Negi

Skyrim and a buttload of mods is giving me ideas for outfits for dolls...

PumpKing

I've been playing an OBSCENE amount of animal crossing lately

I also really like big open world RPGs like Skyrim and Dragon Age!

finnleo

PS+ offered NFS: Payback as a freebie this month ... I had been on the fence on this, because the previous game ran like hot garbage even on a ps4pro, but so far I've been pleasently surprised, and spending time tinkering with the customization options...

Mah drift rig:

50502125162_d687fd2e58_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018183834

Drag bug:

50501969786_a55a62be4b_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018183603

50501969861_8062ff0f1e_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018183541

runner: (wh3lm4n licenceplate)

50501257478_51e4a05f5f_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018181354

and one slightly homage built racer:

50501969986_2d83f9e03f_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018180810

50501257623_ce3d982911_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018180749

(mildly annoyed you cant get the stock front bumper on the old Z ...)

Amusing licence plate moment with the brick...

50502125427_2626207f7a_b.jpg

Need for Speed™ Payback_20201018171031

Miruna

Mainly RPGs and rhythm games. Persona 5 Royal is my favorite.