Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

BeyondTime
8 minutes ago, Monty said:

I think the death of Cortex may have also complicated the licensed dolls a lot because I remember a while back he said that all licensed girls would use the cortex body.

I think the rest of LiPPS was supposed to be full Cortex, and only Mika was hybrid.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

HazelMaze

I'll eventually write out a more thoughtful reply to some of the qouted comments, but as for the licensing agreement...

*Pure speculation ahead- based on some personal experience*

Could they not also back out citing "loss of confidence/privacy breech"? If info was either leaked too soon, or he put out things that they would not want out there, it could break the privacy agreement. Some of the things he has teased have some /big/ or outright "picky" companies behind him.  One errant post really could land him in hot water.

If he was gabbing off during just /negotiations/ by showing of prototypes that were a part of the early discussions, it would be very easy for the companies to say "sorry,no thank you" easily enough. Though I do believe if he did that even after paperwork was signed, there would be hell to pay and possible cancellations/backing out.Big companies have /zero/ patience, regardless of niche.

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, HazelMaze said:

Could they not also back out citing "loss of confidence/privacy breech"?

I'd expect Japanese license holders to back out if a person proved to be rude, disrespectful, or behaved in a disgraceful way publicly. In addition to the normal things like damage to a property through the association  

With Disney / DC I would expect them to back out if behavior was seen as damaging to their properties. US companies have always seemed very willing to tolerate poor public behavior until it costs them money  

What anyone can do contractually is unknown, but a contract can have an exit clause.

The thing is, I think the issues with Cortex could potentially give a license holder an out. If they agreed to a specific standard for the product release, and that standard can no longer be met, then I would think the contract could breach as a result. They might then look at the two years of bad PR and say "don't call us, we'll call you."

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

moerunamida

Definitely think the death of cortex is another reason why may have gotten more nasty in the past year or so as well as the potential license losses. I remember it being hinted even before I got my first SmD in March 18', and he'd constantly talk about how his cortex dolls were revolutionary and will completely change the doll game. Can't quote any of this now, and I feel that these kind of comments have been more or less scrubbed.

• Like 3

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
On 9/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, ButtonsMcGee said:

I've been surrounded by it and... admittedly the whole SmD Vs. Volks thing kinda makes me feel like I'm not good enough for being a Hufflepuff in a room full of Slytherins again

Smartdolls and their owners are welcome here, as are Hufflepuffs. We may be critical of the business, but lots of us have dolls from multiple brands including Smartdoll and love all of them. I would never hold Danny against my Kizuna, Chitose, or Infinity, and I still like Melody and Athena but if I get the them it won’t be from CJ. Same with the clothing, which I happen to like a lot, and hurray for Mandarake.

I think most folks respect the good things CJ has brought to the doll market, like Cocoa & Tea skin / dolls like Valiant. 

We do have on topic (vinyls - with some limitations based on body features) and off topic (resins - ok in off topic). You can post resins in the Doll Directory using the “Other” category. 

• Like 4

finnleo
6 hours ago, Monty said:

I also often wonder if Squeenix were the ones to seek out Volks and not the other way around. On the website for the Nier preorder they include an interview with members of the creative team of the game (including Yoko Taro so it’s very funny in places although YT please have more confidence in your beloved creation lol) https://www.volks.co.jp/nierautomata/en/special_01interview/ Theres a few interesting hints here and there - namely that Aoi Yuki is well known as a huge doll fan and a lot of the development was helped by her, that they collaborated heavily with the original modellers for 2B and 9S, etc. when I look at his other collab dolls, who overwhelmingly (fo me) resemble his OCs cosplaying (or worse - that Spike...), it’s hard to imagine the same level of commitment.

tl;dr I think the Nier thing -definitely- didn’t help his growing tensions with Volks, him not even asking for permission before hinting at making dolls could not have gone over well and I regularly wonder if this (and other conduct) has affected potential relationships with other IP holders.

Sticking my nose back into this, besides better judgment, because this cought my eye again ...

Considering how heavily Automata leans towards the doll theme's through its visuals, character outfits, and partially story concepts, i wouldnt be too surprised if the design team had reached out towards doll producing companies on the slide before squeenix was even officially on board ... I mean they had to go somewhere for the music video that was made for the DLC patch, that will strike fear in any doll hobbyist, so you might assume Volks had been on board longer than youd think.

Taro expressed some frustrations about wanting to give more to the fans, but square not really willing to do so, so in the end letting the "puppets" be made into reality could have been a gift of sorts to Yoko -- buts thats just my tin foilage at work...

in the words case, it could be that they thought they could do the "I hope sempai notices me" thing, by putting in early design work to help seal the deal that way. this sort of similar approach put me off 'im back in the early days where Orden would speak of other notable people in the doll hobby as if they were best of friends, or Comrads to be specific, as if to boost his own ratings in that field.

Im also not 100% sure, was this also around the time Volks showed their near fully animatronic Mirai of theirs at a dollpa that they did just for funzies, as if adding insult to injury, since apart from a few displays for the arms moving without any covering pieces, das wort never showed his animatronic Mirai live to the general public ... so that could have been a thing.

sunlightandtea

I'm not sure if Danny's hinting at a 2B would violate contract if it was supposed to fall more into the realm of fanart than anything else. Which, that would be cool, if he made one off fanart dolls for himself and didn't sell them. I don't know much about corporate contracts though, and I know even less about copyright law and fair use in Japan.

The whole thing is just sad to me. I can separate the art from the artist pretty easily. But in this case, I just simply don't like the aesthetic of the brand anymore. I've gotten a taste of a customs, now I don't think I'll be turning back to pre-painted anything. At this point the entire appeal to this hobby for me is seeing my characters and ideas come to life. With the chaos heads it seems like there's more of a chance for the customization, but those seem somewhat insulting too.

No Danny, I want a singular, blank Katana sculpt head with cut eye holes in milk. Not two random or potentially male heads with half cut eyes. And if I request the product I'm actually willing to pay for, my order gets cancelled? These antics make it impossible to justify the costs. Sure you get two blank heads for around $60, but there's a high potential you don't get a single one you want, not to mention they're in chaos because somehow or another they were considered defective. Hard pass.

Don't even get me started on the 'only the brave' dolls. The people who I see buy them and get 'rare' dolls tend to be Youtubers and creators in Danny's sphere anyway. I'd like to see one of them actually get a pebble just to prove that Danny really isn't rewarding his most devoted through this 'random' gatcha system. Upload THAT unboxing.

It's a shame cortex failed because that could have propelled him further as a beginner doll company. Cortex seemed like a good compromise between the anime aesthetic vinyl and some of the material properties of resin. I definitely liked mine during the brief time I had it, but ultimately I went back to vinyl.

Edited by sunlightandtea
Corrected by kalisha, it's actually 2 blank heads in a chaos pack, not 3. Thank you for letting me know!
  • Like 10

Yumeiro
56 minutes ago, sunlightandtea said:

It's a shame cortex failed because that could have propelled him further as a beginner doll company.

Not to mention properly kid-friendly.

• Like 1

kalisha

The blank heads chaos are 2 not 3 and yea its totally random what you get and no head cap, i bought two paquets because i was curious and want some smart heads for practice my anime style make up. I got 3 L4 heads and 1 L1 head all in milk skin whit the eye holes made.

• Like 1

Q_T

I don't think his partnership with WB is gone, but for someone who lists in their resume that they were working in Amazon's JP web department - one could sure be a bit more organized instead of oddly chaotic when it comes to finding info on their own site.

https://info.smartdoll.jp/en/posts/dc-smartdoll

I mean it's still not as badly organized as other doll selling sites - or looking like something out of Netscape Navigator days but still some cleaning up would be helpful.

Honestly, though while there may be people thinking I'm completely hating on the dolls, it's actually more like criticisms where it could be improved. I mean for example, Volks option parts let me save up and buy parts here and there to have a doll finally. The problem is I'd like a dark skintone which Volks doesn't/wont have. I also like the bodies that CJ has. Volks can look sometimes a bit more...absurd in proportions (because of the anime style). While CJ can tout how they're better race wise, other practices still treat me like... "my life doesn't matter" I get that it's better to buy a full doll - but option parts help so much where people with more limited incomes like POCs could save up here and there and buy parts to put it together and customize. Where we could make the doll "look like us" instead of being told what "us" should look like. Honestly, the gatekeeping of how the dolls should be sold or the incredible cost of a head feels emotionally to me no different than walking into a Walmart to see they locked up the ethnic hare care products because we supposedly steal them more often. At least those stores finally are stopping the practice (I mean it only took enough deaths for companies to finally wake up).

Where do I honestly have to go for dolls of this kind of aesthetic? Where can I go where I'm not treated like a criminal for buying parts to put a doll together (which generally from taxes and shipping does cost more in the long run, but allows me to do things over time).

I just want the same opportunity people have to buy a light skinned doll and get them in parts (because one company DOES offer it) to do it with darker skin tones. That goes for Volks AND CJ. I am tired of it being some odd war of attrition just to want the same footing in what should be a fun hobby.

Little side comments.

Since they have - milk, tea, cinnamon, cocoa, they could go for a coffee or Caramel skin tone just to keep the theme.

Additional comment (this actually isn't to bash but a YIKES moment since it isn't really CJ's fault) Anyone notice after watching the Boys Season 2 a certain character shares the same name AND haircut?

• Like 2

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Q_T said:

Volks can look sometimes a bit more...absurd in proportions (because of the anime style).

I don't think it's anime style as much as it is how the bodies are segmented. Anime characters, even sexy ones like Kei & Yuri, have much more normal looking waistlines than that.

dpaonhd.jpg?w=800

Those proportions are more like an SDGr, which given Kei & Yuri's more realistic facial design might even be the ideal choice for a Dirty Pair collaboration. They're more like Belldandy or Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road in the sense that they are so classic they're more like anime's version of Disney Princesses.

The mid torso segmentation on the Vinyl doll results in a wasp-like waist on the lower torso so it can slide into the chest. Volks also uses thicker Vinyl than some others, which makes them sturdy, but makes that torso join even narrower. The way SmartDoll handles the torso join brings some aesthetic benefits along with it.

I tend to think of SmartDolls as more of a fashion doll, and the Volks Vinyls as more of a giant articulated anime character. SmartDoll has very hip trendy fashions, and bodywise they look like tall thin fashion models to me. In a way they play into the more realistic asthetic Danny is going for with heads lately.

I still suspect that he is repositioning SmartDoll into a Vinyl market that Volks doesn't compete in. I'm not saying he's going to stop making anime heads, but they do seem to be a shrinking portion of his interests. If you add in his sizable western market share, and the move towards appealing to a younger audience, it seems almost like he is moving towards making dolls that appeal to girls who are too old for Barbie, but who still want a doll.

As a business direction I think that would be a smart choice for his company, because it would be a market where he is the largest player.

• Like 2

Q_T
23 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I don't think it's anime style as much as it is how the bodies are segmented. Anime characters, even sexy ones like Kei & Yuri, have much more normal looking waistlines than that.

I tend to think of SmartDolls as more of a fashion doll, and the Volks Vinyls as more of a giant articulated anime character. SmartDoll has very hip trendy fashions, and bodywise they look like tall thin fashion models to me. In a way they play into the more realistic asthetic Danny is going for with heads lately.

I still suspect that he is repositioning SmartDoll into a Vinyl market that Volks doesn't compete in. I'm not saying he's going to stop making anime heads, but they do seem to be a shrinking portion of his interests. If you also add in his sizable western market share, and the move towards appealing to a younger audience, it seems almost like he is moving towards making dolls that appeal to girls who are too old for Barbie, but who still want a doll.

As a business direction I think that would be a smart choice for his company, because it would be a market where he is the largest player.

I think it's a bit of both, Dirty Pair (while I miss some of the older anime asthetics) you have you have the other ones where Kazushi Hagiwara look that became prevalent in not just anime but a quite a bit of late 90's Comics like Image Comics

If he is positioning himself for that market, he may as well get on TikTok since that's the age demographic he's targeting, Most of the Instagram/Twitter folks are older 😉

While it's not an entirely bad marketing strategy, with long disclaimers - parents who may be holding the purse strings will probably be turned off to buy their child something like this.  If he's targeting the demographic for say people who grew up on Monster High he may want to push more aspects of what made them so collectible - the personality in those sculpts. Hopefully he finds his happy medium, because it seems like he is kinda all over the place with the ideas akin to throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.

I'll also agree with another poster: His Only the Brave section just seems to be more targeted at "reveal/box openers" specifically giving specific Youtubers more items that is catered to them. It's almost akin to tablet makers like XP  X P Pen giving out their product to get more "Favorable" reviews and eyeballs. Glowing reviews crowding out the honest ones because of who they gave the tablet to.

Edited by Q_T
  • Like 2

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Q_T said:

Glowing reviews crowding out the honest ones because of who they gave the tablet to.

Honest reviews of his dolls should be favorable, but I can see how CJ might need to drown out the noise from the social media antics. 

• Like 1

RainbowNanaki
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

Honest reviews of his dolls should be favorable, but I can see how CJ might need to drown out the noise from the social media antics. 

Yup. He can call me a "hater" all he wants, I genuinely have no problems with the Smart Doll products I own other than occasionally the prices. I adore my Cortex Mirai, and wish the kits had stayed around so I could buy one in each tone in the subsequent years. I also love my Eiji to bits, and hope to acquire a Crimson in the Tea tone at some point. I really, truly, like the dolls a lot!

But I also don't feel comfortable recommending the brand to others or buying directly because of, well, all this. People can holler "death of the author" all they want, but at the end of the day I do not want the 'author' getting my money.

I'm also pretty uncomfortable with people painting themselves as "victims" because they enjoy the products, as if those of us that have been hurt (for example, by certain social media antics) are somehow the real bullies. If anyone is a victim, its the people that get made into public examples over legitimate QC issues! The "culture" surrounding Culture Japan can be very concerning at times.

Edited by RainbowNanaki
clarification
  • Like 9

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

BenjiTheSenpai

IDK If there was anything about this, but here I go.

SmD Simplicity

I've been watching the SmD website lately and I've noticed that there's a SmD kit called Simplicity. There was no pricetag and it says you have to be in the right place at the right time to get the doll in the description. 

I don't even know how people get one of these. There's no way to determine where and when to get her. It's really annoying.

Only the Brave

Why the heck would I buy a $500 rock? Is this something else, or literally a $500 rock?

Clothes

The clothing they have is very nice and looks very well made. The only problem is that it's a little expensive. I mean, a bra and panties set is around $40-$50. I think that's a little overpriced, but that's just my opinion.

BeyondTime
58 minutes ago, BenjiTheSenpai said:

Why the heck would I buy a $500 rock? Is this something else, or literally a $500 rock?

I asked about that, and so far no one has reported getting a rock. The pebble idea may just be window dressing. 

BenjiTheSenpai

Does anyone know what they actually get?

Edited by BenjiTheSenpai

BeyondTime
33 minutes ago, BenjiTheSenpai said:

Does anyone know what they actually get?

If I am remembering what I was told correctly, everyone who has talked about it has gotten a random doll. 

bbotss

@BenjiTheSenpai You get a doll. It can be any skintone, can be a previous/current release or a future release, can be one with a unique faceup, can also be one that you already have because you have to have purchased a doll from them before, otherwise your pebble order will be cancelled. The doll does not come with warranty and might have defects. No exchanges or refunds, you get what you get.

BenjiTheSenpai
4 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

If I am remembering what I was told correctly, everyone who has talked about it has gotten a random doll. 

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, bbotss said:

@BenjiTheSenpai You get a doll. It can be any skintone, can be a previous/current release or a future release, can be one with a unique faceup, can also be one that you already have because you have to have purchased a doll from them before, otherwise your pebble order will be cancelled. The doll does not come with warranty and might have defects. No exchanges or refunds, you get what you get.

Oh, so you have to of ordered a doll from them before, or your order will be cancelled?

bbotss
1 hour ago, BenjiTheSenpai said:

Oh, so you have to of ordered a doll from them before, or your order will be cancelled?

Yes. This applies to all chaos items as well. Even if you have a secondhand smartdoll, as long as you did not buy directly from the shop, your order will be cancelled.

Katsudon
9 hours ago, BenjiTheSenpai said:

IDK If there was anything about this, but here I go.

SmD Simplicity

I've been watching the SmD website lately and I've noticed that there's a SmD kit called Simplicity. There was no pricetag and it says you have to be in the right place at the right time to get the doll in the description. 

I don't even know how people get one of these. There's no way to determine where and when to get her. It's really annoying.

Only the Brave

Anytime you have to be in the right place at the right time, or "a portal will open up", and every other euphemism; it's only the brave. So all kits have been sold through that.

It.... sucks.

BenjiTheSenpai
12 minutes ago, Katsudon said:

Anytime you have to be in the right place at the right time, or "a portal will open up", and every other euphemism; it's only the brave. So all kits have been sold through that.

It.... sucks.

I mean, if you're running a business I would suggest selling things the normal way. This is just one way not to get as many customers.

Edited by BenjiTheSenpai
  • Like 2

BenjiTheSenpai
6 hours ago, bbotss said:

Yes. This applies to all chaos items as well. Even if you have a secondhand smartdoll, as long as you did not buy directly from the shop, your order will be cancelled.

It isn't really that fair that your WHOLE order will be cancelled, I can, however, see the reason why you can't buy Chaos Items first. If you ordered the right things you could get a whole other Smart Doll. 

BenjiTheSenpai
16 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I still suspect that he is repositioning SmartDoll into a Vinyl market that Volks doesn't compete in. I'm not saying he's going to stop making anime heads, but they do seem to be a shrinking portion of his interests. If you add in his sizable western market share, and the move towards appealing to a younger audience, it seems almost like he is moving towards making dolls that appeal to girls who are too old for Barbie, but who still want a doll.

Although the dolls do cost around $500. I'm not sure if many parents would pay for those. 

Some do, Some do. But it's not everyday your kid comes up to you and asks for a $500 Doll.