Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Dollfie Icon

cfx
3 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Well, I think they have a point about the frame breaking. That's the one part of the doll you are likely to need to be able to replace, outside of the torso frame though you can't buy the other frame parts by themselves, so you'll end up with extra vinyl bits that don't match Icon.

It's a point, except for the fact that all the DDIII body parts are discontinued, only sold in-store at Dollpoint and online for however long they are, and since frame parts outside the upper body aren't sold separately you'd have to buy DDIII parts and remove the skin. I think it's just marketing speak too.

2 hours ago, michinyan said:

Mismatching joints aren’t that visually pleasing for sure, but it’s not really a valid complaint when these are just early prototypes.

But the final product is the same, it's not just a prototype thing, according to what Volks told someone earlier in the thread.

My guess (only a guess) is that this is such a limited quantity run in each color, that producing injection-molded parts would have been prohibitively expensive. The smaller a production run is for injection molding, the more each item costs to make, at least when you are below a certain point.

RiverR

Icon is really stunning! 😍 Love the pearly shimmer and detailed face-ups.  I'd love to bring one home if I had the means. 

On 7/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, BeyondTime said:

As far as the DDIII body goes it's also possible that they started this project before the F3 body was ready for production. I can think of one big drawback to these, and that is there aren't any option parts in these colors.

All the design stuff on them indicates these were made by the normal Volks design department, so it's interesting that they are releasing through the LA Dolpa. Has there ever been a new doll release at the US Dolpa?

That's a good point.  Prototypes were shown off at the last LA Dolpa, so DDIII was the standard.  If they were planning to use DDIII before the F3 body was ready, and then decided to change, they might not have had Icon ready for release this year. Still doesn't change the fact that DDIII is discontinued as @cfx pointed out, so it will be harder to get replacement parts. . . .

Among the SD line, the first SD16s were released at a NYC Dolpa. Interestingly, Volks explained they styled SD16 more like a fashion doll to appeal to collectors in the West.  Here again with Icon, they are focusing on a high fashion look instead of antique dolls.

In a way I can see what they’re saying about highlighting the joints but I might just be a doll romantic lol. Actual ball joints are a key component of bjds and the frame/joints are what sets DDs apart. Posing a DD is so different than a bjd in my experience. Really focusing on the joints is kinda cool when I think about it in an artsy way. Curious if Volks will forever keep the joints like that on the Icon line though. 

Edited by Guest

Gabriel

So who has read the spontaneous announcement from the Volks President?

So, he says the ICON dolls will be limited.  OK.  Then he says the dolls will have different colored joints as a feature and says some stuff that boils down to this being a characteristic of the branding and also distinguishes these particular dolls as event limited items.

I presume what is the intended message is that the joint colors will still not match the vinyl, but this implicitly hints that "maybe" that won't always be the case beyond these limited dolls?

Probably more interesting, from what he seems to be saying at the end, this was originally going to be a USA event item only, but because of the response Volks is now considering expanding this line to other territories.

So, I guess this means that they originally intended these as something akin to those lottery SDs they periodically do: one of a kinds.  

foo

The weird thing is that the Volks page says that the bellybutton piercing is limited to the first production only, which implies there will be a second production. I think they're just saying words to solidify the current situation to head off questions ("just buy what we're selling, ok?"). We can't tell what they plan for the future but Volks USA wouldn't have been able to do this without the significant support of Volks JP (may just be JP's idea), and those head moulds didn't pop out of thin air.

Aichan

I love their faces but as far as colors I would like a tan one and I wish they had made a black one since I dont own any dolls that are tan or black.  Don’t really care for piercings on my dolls unless its the ears.

borrie

I am not in the market for this style of doll, but I do see at the bottom of the official page some interesting bits.

Eyes: “Dollfie® ICON” Original Resin Eyes / 18mm *one of seven varieties included at random

Wig: DD Size *one of five varieties included at random

I see the 5 different wigs styles, but I'm not sure I see the 7 different eye options. Is this sort of randomness normal for their SD line?

Gabriel
3 minutes ago, borrie said:

I am not in the market for this style of doll, but I do see at the bottom of the official page some interesting bits.

Eyes: “Dollfie® ICON” Original Resin Eyes / 18mm *one of seven varieties included at random

Wig: DD Size *one of five varieties included at random

I see the 5 different wigs styles, but I'm not sure I see the 7 different eye options. Is this sort of randomness normal for their SD line?

I had noticed that as well.  It's like how Volks sells the SD line.  If you look at the SD Standards, you'll notice that while the eyes are fixed, the wig is a random selection that the purchaser cannot choose.  I've assumed that you only get a specific wig and/or eye combination of choice if you buy a limited or a full choice system doll.

Shailara

If they decided to broaden their audience because the USA folks complained about the joints, I'll be mighty happy haha! 😄

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

CuteOne
On 7/26/2019 at 10:48 PM, Gabriel said:

So who has read the spontaneous announcement from the Volks President?

So, he says the ICON dolls will be limited.  OK.  Then he says the dolls will have different colored joints as a feature and says some stuff that boils down to this being a characteristic of the branding and also distinguishes these particular dolls as event limited items.

I presume what is the intended message is that the joint colors will still not match the vinyl, but this implicitly hints that "maybe" that won't always be the case beyond these limited dolls?

Probably more interesting, from what he seems to be saying at the end, this was originally going to be a USA event item only, but because of the response Volks is now considering expanding this line to other territories.

So, I guess this means that they originally intended these as something akin to those lottery SDs they periodically do: one of a kinds.  

I haven't had the opportunity yet but that's wonderful news! This might mean they might become a main staple for Volks and they may make a run past these where the joints will match the vinyl parts. I'd guess that's going to be difficult since they have a pearlescent shine to them. This makes me even more excited for these girls. This could lead to other sizes being made in these skintones as well as boys too!

You know you can turn off signatures if they make you uncomfortable.

📸Instagram📸

Nyx Whitestar

Volks USA has published new photos, they are so gorgeous, I'm dying! There are more photos on Volks USA Facebook

I can't wait to see Lilac, she is the girl I want 😍💕

67384357_2845949925420709_6446834439161905152_o.png

67413734_2844091742273194_6153936520186167296_n.jpg

67372576_2844171652265203_1396355075508535296_n.jpg

67575664_2845949955420706_7990401490130829312_n.png

• Like 5

ig-log10.png ap10.png

hellomystar

I'd like to see them with animetic eyes! I do really like the pouty upper lip, super cute.

jadepixel

I was able to bring home Serra from LA Dolpa! 

It's difficult to capture in photos but the pearly glow effect is very pretty! The petal skin tone is a bit lighter and pinker than semi-white skin- the different colored joints don't stand out too much. Volks mentioned some flaws due to the pearl process and what I've seen so far are thin gray streaks (like pencil marks) most noticeable on the upper neck and inner shin areas.

serra-9994.jpg

• Like 7

archeotech

I really hope there'll be someway to get these in the international market. I'd be happy with any but I'd really like Clover or Lilac.

Nyx Whitestar

She is so beautiful, I can see the pearly effect on your photo and it's so gorgeous, congrats on getting her! ♡

I'm curious about the process, were you able to chose the model or was it random? On photos posted on instagram I've seen there was numbers attached to the dolls, so far I've seen up to the number "35", so they were limited to 35? 

I really hope they will be available soon, I want Lilac so much ♡

ig-log10.png ap10.png

jadepixel
6 hours ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

She is so beautiful, I can see the pearly effect on your photo and it's so gorgeous, congrats on getting her! ♡

I'm curious about the process, were you able to chose the model or was it random? On photos posted on instagram I've seen there was numbers attached to the dolls, so far I've seen up to the number "35", so they were limited to 35? 

I really hope they will be available soon, I want Lilac so much ♡

Thanks! I don't remember the highest number, but 35 sounds about right. Lottery entry was for each doll by number - so at the end there were some dolls that nobody entered for and Volks staff did a rock-paper-scissors for the remaining (mostly Lilac) dolls. There were still people that wanted Icon who weren't able to bring one home, but the odds ended up surprisingly good if you were less particular about which doll and skintone.

• Like 1

BeyondTime

At the Icon panel I think they said the idea for icon began more than 4 years ago, and 2 years from prototype to sale at the LA Dolpa. The face-ups were designed by one of Volks USA’s own staff, and as you can see she does incredible work. She did a lot of research into styles before painting them. Seriously, one incredible young lady. 

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Nyx Whitestar
2 hours ago, jadepixel said:

[...] so at the end there were some dolls that nobody entered for and Volks staff did a rock-paper-scissors for the remaining (mostly Lilac) dolls. 

Nooo what a shame, I wish I was able to attend the event, I would certaintly have won a Lilac xD I hope they won't let down Lilac color because of the leftovers!

I agree the staff made an amazing work on these beauties, I like everything about them, really beautiful line of dolls.

ig-log10.png ap10.png

BeyondTime

I think part of it was how the lottery worked. You had no way of knowing 10 people entered for one Lilac, and 0 for the one next to her. 

They had no trouble finding buyers for all of them. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

marishade

I love Lilic, but with 2B and 9S showing up soon I cannot spend anymore on dolls any time soon. Hopefully this 'test' of sorts was successful so I can maybe get one at a later date.

Gabriel

That's interesting.  They have Dollfie Icon prominently displayed in the graphic for the Volks USA After Event.  

archeotech
18 hours ago, Gabriel said:

That's interesting.  They have Dollfie Icon prominently displayed in the graphic for the Volks USA After Event.  

Fingers crossed they'll be selling them again, hope I can snag one on the aftermarket since there's no word on an international release.

BeyondTime
19 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Not just prominently displayed, but the text "Dollfie Icon" is there. That makes me think she's not just there to model the outfit. The outfit is one of the summer outfits too, so hopefully they do have stock to sell online.

I love how they are calling it an After Event too. I know it's a little thing, but to me it says something.

Edited by BeyondTime

asianed

I think there were about 40 Icons total at the event (I remember seeing #39 on one of them). My girlfriend and I were each lucky enough to being one home! I got mine through lottery (Lilac #20) and she got hers through the third chance rock-paper-scissors (Terra #26). 

We got to spend some time talking with the US artist as well as the Japanese artist, both were super nice! 

• Like 1