Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Oculae

Oculae's Hybrid Lab!

RogueMarks
On 9/22/2022 at 12:14 AM, Oculae said:

HAHAHAHA GOOD LUCK. Genuinely. 🥲

This is an AZM3 torso, and the only time it was ever released, to my knowledge, was with Azone's 50cm version of Japan from Axis Powers Hetalia. I have only seen him for sale ONCE, and that's where I got this torso. I have the bust too but it's horrible. This is how it looks all together:

Screenshot_20210620-191144_Instagram.jpg.f5f1f9e8227d39241fa29529a3b43085.jpg

Friends and I call this body in its stock form "Dorito-senpai" for a reason. 🤣

Hah! Yeah you must have nabbed the one I saw, can't remember if it was Mandarake or ebay. I have the Kakuso boy torso on my AP hybrid and the sculpt is *chef kiss* 😄

Edited by RogueMarks

Courtmom
22 hours ago, RogueMarks said:

Hah! Yeah you must have nabbed the one I saw, can't remember if it was Mandarake or ebay. I have the Kakuso boy torso on my AP hybrid and the sculpt is *chef kiss* 😄

Wait, the MDD one? 🤔 that works? 

RogueMarks

Yup! Fits on the obitsu frame just fine :)

Oculae

Project update tiiiime! I got side-tracked in the wig department and ended up having to get one custom made, so Muse's mod is on hold until the wig comes in. Behold my terrible artist rendition:

sketch1.png.6c4c204045f202fab022dbac47ab1560.png

Figured if she's gonna be my muse, she better have all the colors I use! 😆

...In the meantime though, I had plenty to accomplish. Smartdoll's recent prosthetic leg adventures got me thinking about going for an armored look, which got me FURTHER thinking about DD Nero...and one YJA trip later....

20220923_201357.jpg.59a07f22e34b2d6b8a00f82b62d51097.jpg

I didn't realize Nero was a DD3 until the boots got here, so I did a frame swap involving a pair of shin frames from my Sacrificial Bootleg Miku to get them on there, as it turns out DD3 foot sockets don't fit the shin pegs of the f3. The rest of her outfit is a lingerie set called Absolutely Wonderful Night, and I do agree, it's absolutely wonderful. (btw, if anyone wants Nero's outfit sans boots, come find me!)

The leg armor was nice, but she needed some balancing out...so I paid a trip to the marketplace and sacrified the rainbow wig and a lovely custom head I'd never quite bonded with to @MagicalRozen to get the only arm armor that fit my vision: DD Jeanne's!

20221002_164119.jpg.d89aa0f0f9566a4663a843d11d127462.jpg

Some reconfiguration and stressful painting, and then....

20221005_152109.jpg.3fcebcbf326950f970cab823e2bfefc1.jpg

20221005_151826.jpg.2ffa19aee6a0f442de943b8687d53085.jpg

Completion!!! Or as near as I can get it, anyway. She's got some lace socks coming from Manda that I can cut the ends off of so they'll fit under the boots and provide some needed thigh coverage. The lingerie set came with socks too, but considering that set cost me 20k yen, I think I'll leave those alone. I might swap her headdress out eventually too, but Anthy's crown is cute there, so we'll see!

I'm excited to see how the rest of her comes together. ❤️

• Like 8

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Oculae

Despite a sudden uptick of work (and therefore MUCH less free time), I had some time to put together a group photoshoot of some of my crew!

Poppy went as a combo meal, leading the charge for candy!

20221030_111456.jpg.e3d04353bf767a7599617653b4b7aedf.jpg

Sonico went as a sweet witch, using her charm (and maybe a spell or two) to snare full-size candy bars from the unsuspecting!

IMG_20221031_091412_029.jpg.c97b8a6c18f6969d8bcddc712501cf12.jpg

Meteion went as a little bee, with her Elpis flower creating a look sweeter than honey, and just as irresistible to all who saw her!

20221030_111516.jpg.8c43f0992cc1b0e465f225a54f874a4e.jpg

And Eiran went as their chaperone, to take beautiful pictures of their costumes...and also to make sure none of them got hit by a car, thanks to his hi-vis jacket. 🤣

20221030_111527.jpg.b351d8b9169faec0801f9a93dc20d525.jpg

Happy Halloween, everyone!

22-10-31-09-43-48-951_deco.jpg.72036821188ff6560302e5d7a858b4ac.jpg

IMG_20221031_091412_187.jpg

• Like 11

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Oculae

I am so bad at posting updates aaaa

Poppy has paws and a tail now.

20221212_160858.jpg.43a48bebf88ffcea6d9dd9ceccd9a35e.jpg

20221213_092944.jpg.70a1b9fe74e112285b9c01df2ff3f4e1.jpg

My poor abandoned DD Anthy has a new lease on life as a faux-Icon thanks to newly painted ombre lipstick and the Volks bubble undercut wig. She goes by Chain now.

20221130_210957.jpg.c49e1a48787a16a1026914f2c13ea891.jpg

And I have a new hybrid body that I used EXTENSIVE mods to make. She's the closest to a proper "chubby" doll I think I can get. Spoilered due to doll nudity.

20221213_220923.jpg.8d6705a653778c79af4eec0c900b0bb6.jpg

Phew! I think that's everything!

• Like 5

Oculae

The hybrid I mentioned in the last post has a head, a temporary outfit, and a name now! Meet Sinclair!

20221224_105153.jpg.09a162a24db4a10507c18deb3ae2dd9e.jpg

She'll be getting her wig on Monday, which is when I'll do a full writeup of my whole journey to make her body. As for her head...it's a DDH-07 painted by ねこまっしぐら (Nekomasshigure), and for those who like trawling Manda, yes, it's that one that cost 58k. Worth it. 😆

Her faceup had more red in it in Manda's pics, though, and I was disappointed by how anemic she looked in person...so of course the first thing I did upon her arrival was add some extra blush to my astoundingly expensive doll head. And then reseal her. In subzero weather. At least it's not that humid...?

20221224_104909.jpg.0723f632c7d538564ea39e4a3af23174.jpg

Thankfully the god of MSC didn't punish me for my hubris - the shininess in this pic faded as the sealant dried, and I imagine she'll be perfectly matte this time tomorrow. Phew! She matches her Manda pic perfectly now, so I'm absolutely in love.

20221224_193657.jpg.913117ebc43062d9a1ea9579fff85cb7.jpg

EDIT: Two Christmas Eve miracles! Her wig showed up today! This is Perfect Maple in Short Wavy by DallasDollCo and I'm so glad it fit. I'm never sure with wigs made for Smart Doll, but I found someone on Facebook with a DD who helpfully modeled it on her to show me it fit just fine. Hooray!

Edited by Oculae
  • Like 9

PolitelyNefarious

@Oculae   Please forgive me for rambling- there's a lot to cover here!

First thoughts: Poppy upgrades? Love them. That's the Dream Valley event plant, right? It makes a fantastic tail. And the paws suit her whimsical design to a 't'. She's unlike any doll I've ever seen; truly a product of your creation, and her evolution makes her more uniquely 'Poppy' with every change.

No neglected Anthy's on this watch! Like you, I want to repaint her, but it seems so few people are. Seeing her with a nice lipstick upgrade is cathartic, and you were able to get the Terra wig after all. Congratulations! Hopefully she is coming into her own. Those goggles are rad- perfectly suited to someone named 'Chain'.

Man, photos versus reality are the biggest kicker. I'm sorry you had to fix such an expensive faceup right away. But I must say she glows. And she's looking great on the hybrid body. Again, the clever reuse of the Hetalia torso gets me every time. It's so good! I'm loving the nice, dimpled flow of her legs down to her feet.

And I'm relieved that her wig fit too. I've had mixed luck with DallasDollCo.- the first wig I bought from them was excellent quality and reasonably flexible, but the next two had noticeably worse fiber, and the one I use on Sundae is so tight that it can't even fit over a wigcap on a Smart Doll. But this one looks lovely. It's the perfect colour for her and has nice texture and volume to boot. Congratulations! May her glasses arrive safe and soon.

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg 855019605_DeletelaterSmol.jpg.136e5d245c2328488f8736543aceb78d.jpg

Oculae

NEVER apologize for rambles! I love attention and am a rambler myself. As you'll soon see. 😆

It is! I was gonna go for a scorpion at first, hence the tail design - it was meant to evoke chitin. I went from that idea, to calling her a manticore, to googling manticores and finding out they have SNAKE tails and not scorpions like i thought, to scrambling to find something I could use to make it snakey....and then calling her a chimera instead after all this construction anyway, because manticores don't have wings either. ADHD! Woo! Tea's head is glorious, but it is a bit heavy, so I'm glad I invested in really strong magnets and put the one on her body behind her vinyl - the vinyl provides extra grip that really helps posability!

The tail itself is made of Jeton tubing, which is commonly used as an armature for art dolls. It's great at posing, and since it comes in black, I just had to dye Tea's head to match. I told myself I'd never dye again after Meteion's legs were a disaster, and yet....😅

Resin is nicer to me than whatever ABS nightmare Meteion's legs used, though, and Tea turned black just fine. I even dyed the tongue part red!

As for the paws, those were a Y!JA find - I gottem from an artist called r*bit doll, who does a lot of MDD anthros. They're resin, use magnetic connectors, and are fully posable! Four-fingered poses require a bit more imagination to look good, but they really fit her monster look better. I love how she looks now.

I was SOOOO stressed repainting Anthy. My plan was to add to her all along, but it's scary actually committing to it, especially with black paint! But my doll journey is all about me learning to quit being scared of my giant toys, so black paint it was! It's hard to tell in the earlier pic due to her bangs, but she also has some extra eye shadow - I added more blacks and reds to further the goth Icon look. She'll even get glued lashes when I get around to buying some!

20221124_144348.jpg.c70507291071fa3040fc8565bac3b30c.jpg

Chain is a punk rock mechanic character, and I think I'll lean into a sci-fi or post-apoc look, like Smart Doll's doing, for her. She'll be fun to dress, and I already like her better than either Anthy or the halfling chef OC I was originally gonna use her for!

Sinclair's torso is even more genius, actually - my HANJI doll got the HETALIA torso, which suits my nonbinary AMAB headcanons for her as well as the needed beef. SINCLAIR got an OBITSU 65 boy torso. Full writeup on Monday, but if you're bored, I highly recommend searching up that body on this very forum and looking at the proportions of the lower half. Especially the leg holes. You may notice the biggest challenge I had with her. 😆

Y'know, I've wanted this wig for months, and I found out after this one arrived that this style was sold out on DDC for who knows how long! One of my friends had emailed them asking them to put it on their Etsy, and it turned out that it had still been on their webstore by mistake. Thank goodness I found this one on FB, and that it fit and had the quality I wanted! It's a very special wig, and knowing it was a near-miss made it even more precious to me. I'll have to be careful with it! Hopefully her glasses arrive on Monday like I keep banking on, so I can do the full writeup - I have a lot more to say about her that really deserves its own topic.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's nice to be reminded that my mad science projects are loved by more than just me. ❤️

• Like 3

Poofiemus

Do you mind if I ask how you attach Poppy's tail, maybe even close up pics? I have similar tubing/armature ready to go to make a tail for my dragon MDD Asphodel, but haven't felt quite confident in how to attach it beyond "magnets, yo". Like, do you have a magnet inside of Poppy, or did you put it on the outer vinyl? I gotta solve this tail mystery; Asphodel rarely demands anything but she DOES demand her tail!

• Like 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

PolitelyNefarious

@Oculae  Tea is the name of the tail? I love that. I didn't know that jeton came in black- I've only ever seen it in white or light blue. That is perfect! The whimsical spots and her pawpads remind me a little of H.R. Puffinstuff and an anime I am unfortunately forgetting that had an extremely colourful, patterned, slightly abstract style.

When in doubt, chimera works! While I don't see a reason there couldn't be a manticore with wings, chimera certainly fits the bill.

ABS / hard plastics are the worst. The smooth surface doesn't like colour at all, whereas resin is more porous and textured. (Usually) Tea turned out stunning! Hopefully future projects won't require dyeing ABS again.

The paws do suit her better. They round her out. Every time she evolves, she looks a little more whole.

The eyeshadow is gorgeous, wow! You nailed the Icon colour palette- Chain rocks it. I will confess that I am not confident in repainting vinyl yet- I need to get higher-quality materials and figure out how much MSC to use before I even try. You are far braver than I, and the results speak for themselves. Steampunk / Post-apocalyptic is the aesthetic of vinyl choice around here. This may be personal bias, but I think she would look amazing in that style.

Aha! This is what happened to Eiran's old torso. I see! I'd forgotten about Hanji's upgrade. If those are AP or Dollfie thighs, I can easily see how fitting it all together would be a challenge.

Oh man. Grail wig alert! Grail wigs / eyes / clothing can sometimes be more difficult to acquire than the dolls. It is crazy how much finagling you might have had to go through, only for it to fall in your lap. Congratulations! I look forward to that writeup. I'm curious to hear how Sinclaire fits into it all.

Your Mad Science Laboratory is one of my favorite topics on the forum, period. I always come the moment I see a new post here. It was a no-brainer to subscribe. Your creativity and hands-on approach are the heart of this hobby, and oncemore, you take your dolls places after you finish them. You have fun. The passion you have for each of them shines in every photo.

Edited by PolitelyNefarious
  • Like 1

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg 855019605_DeletelaterSmol.jpg.136e5d245c2328488f8736543aceb78d.jpg

cluffy

just wanted to say i adore your poppy so much, shes a cutie!! the stuff you do with dolls is so so so inspiring!!! makes me appreciate the creative possibilities of this hobby even more @onion26@

Oculae

HUAGH BACK AGAIN MORE UPDATES

I subscribe to this topic to get emailed when people reply to me and I still fall behind. Ugh!

On 12/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, Poofiemus said:

do you have a magnet inside of Poppy

Yup, got it in one! The tail setup has two big rare earth magnets - one is glued into the end of the tail with E6000, on the socket side so the tail would sit flush against her backside. The other magnet was glued with Loctite's Vinyl, Fabric, and Plastic glue to the inside of the vinyl of her torso. Like so!

20221212_103025.jpg.33d4a1827c8ad6863a1b6c341c2a7966.jpg

I did that for two reasons: the magnet is about the same size as 2 or 3 US nickels stacked on top of each other, so obviously, it looks better this way. But it had the added effect of providing a nice grippy surface for the tail magnet, which was totally the opposite of what I expected. Having it this way improves the posability, despite the magnet having to connect through a layer of vinyl!

The glue on the inside keeps failing me, though, I think cause the magnet isn't compatible with the glue. I'm going to try E6000 next, and if THAT fails I'll go back to the vinyl glue and glue a patch of vinyl over the magnet on the inside to get that vinyl-to-vinyl adherence the glue does best with. Since it fell off recently and I'm on vacation rn, I'm making do by just carefully posing her tail so it LOOKS like it's attached. It's worked really well so far, so it should be fine until I get back. (Another benefit of a magnet on the inside is that if the glue fails like this, you can just leave it rattling around loose in there and not worry about losing your magnet. 😅)

On 12/26/2022 at 4:37 PM, PolitelyNefarious said:

Tea is the name of the tail?

Nope! Tea is the official name of the head sculpt on the end!

dream_valley_event_tea_2021_08.jpg.afc4fab79a39bef13eee3e06afb682af.jpg

It's supposed to be the head of one of Dream Valley's many many resin "pet" dolls, but I've repurposed it. I'm still debating on the tail's name, actually. 😆

But yeah, I'm surprised that Jeton came in black too. I've only found one supplier on eBay that carries it, but it DOES exist! Which is good, because I doubt it'd take well to dye.

Aha! This is what happened to Eiran's old torso.

Not quite - Eiran's old body was an Obitsu 55! I actually found the 65 torso used for Sinclair on Mandarake (along with a chest) WAY before buying Eiran's old body, and bought the set with the intent of putting him on there and frankendolling the rest of the body...but his head looked so tiny on that sculpt's beefy neck that I abandoned the idea. It sat sadly in my vinyl parts graveyard until I had my crazy hybrid idea, so I'm glad it finally got used! Still no idea what to do with the chest. It'll come to me eventually.

(One day I'll post about my OTHER Obitsu 65 project, but that one's gonna be on the backburner until I get comfortable with the idea of "dying" vinyl with paint, so no point in getting everybody's hopes up until then.)

Your Mad Science Laboratory is one of my favorite topics on the forum, period.

The passion you have for each of them shines in every photo.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:54 PM, littleclover said:

i adore your poppy so much, shes a cutie!! the stuff you do with dolls is so so so inspiring!!! makes me appreciate the creative possibilities of this hobby even more

Y'ALL ARE GONNA MAKE ME CRY, thanks so much!!! I've been customizing my toys since I was old enough to find out that was a thing you could do (baby's first customs were Pokémon figures repainted with nail polish, lol), so finding this hobby has really provided a great outlet for the mad scientist in me to blossom. It's great to hear that I'm an inspiration to other people out there, because making wacky stuff is a lot of fun! And any wacky stuff other people end up making because of me just inspires me right back! It's a whole big cycle of fun. :) I hope my creations continue to bring as much joy to people here as they bring to me!

Okay, now on to the ACTUAL update! I'm on vacation in Puerto Rico! And so's Poppy! We have matching worm plushies now because I found a big one and a small one at the airport and have poor impulse control when running on 3 hours of sleep!!! (It's okay, because they're very cute.)

20230204_200738.jpg.d85481336fb95ea93c08d50ec98030f5.jpg

More importantly, I have risked life, limb, and pants to get a nice photoshoot in today.

20230208_103254.jpg.933c64cfb9798d57a6e6cd1c575a7249.jpg

We're currently staying up near El Yunque, Puerto Rico's famous rainforest. They weren't kidding about the rain, Poppy donned her raincoat as soon as she could because it could be sunny one minute and pouring the next!

20230208_110923.jpg.ee140b9efbed71a718bb3fe1b5584ad9.jpg

Speaking of, did you know that Puerto Rico's national animal is a tree frog called the coquí? As soon as Poppy found that out, she insisted on climbing up a tree to try and find one and see if it matched her raincoat. (Yes, she's ACTUALLY about 4 or 5 feet off the ground here and standing unsupported. Harrowing!)

20230208_104123.jpg.6eafa9466be4e5e0b563e039733d2876.jpg

No tree frogs, but we did spot some other creatures...like this Pseudosphinx tetrio caterpillar!

20230208_105740.jpg.acc631cfff3e0162f8a5e1d1d234a27d.jpg

And some lizards, though we really had to sneak up on them to get a picture!

20230208_104729.jpg.02600138a7e20c5a76ec8770ee79cf7f.jpg

And the shells of some Puerto Rican tree SNAILS, which Poppy deemed close enough to be excited about.

20230208_110352.jpg.fccc8cd9514525fcee4c377402157628.jpg

Phew! Time for little sit before we head back to the villa we're staying at to pick up the hunt again...

20230208_102543.jpg.9227f31470142fd4dadea2266b0547b8.jpg

And another, now that we're back...I'm starting to think you just needed an excuse to get outside in your new coat, Poppy!

...And then Oc and Poppy tried to climb a hill they shouldn't have, and Oc get a very nice nonconsensual exfoliation sesh by sliding all the way back DOWN said hill and getting covered with mud and grass. My legs were coated from the knees down, my arms were coated from the elbows up, but Poppy only escaped with some mud on her ears, tail, and raincoat, which all washed out just fine without any damage or stainage. Thank you, raincoat. 😅

While Poppy and I waited for our clothes to dry, Poppy hung out by the pool while I admired my now weirdly shiny legs. Wasn't expecting a spa treatment, but hey, why not. I'm on vacation!

20230208_160926.jpg.daf38771b2dba1c8b181bd7be2501b20.jpg

It seems she and her tail are having a disagreement about whether the pool's too cold to swim in or not...

20230208_161503.jpg.f36b5c1c22d7b4a6296edd1757e79888.jpg

...And as expected, Poppy won. You can't go swim if you're not the one in charge of the legs! She was nice and sunbathed close enough to the edge to let the tail dunk its head in if it wanted to, at least. It decided to amuse itself by blowing bubbles in the water instead.

20230208_162252.jpg.9690321660aacb3dade6a38c686e7a26.jpg

All toweled off and ready to head back in for the day! Looks like the tail's forgiven her after their argument, too.  All's well that ends well! Hasta luego, see you next time!

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Poofiemus
16 hours ago, Oculae said:

HUAGH BACK AGAIN MORE UPDATES

I subscribe to this topic to get emailed when people reply to me and I still fall behind. Ugh!

Yup, got it in one! The tail setup has two big rare earth magnets - one is glued into the end of the tail with E6000, on the socket side so the tail would sit flush against her backside. The other magnet was glued with Loctite's Vinyl, Fabric, and Plastic glue to the inside of the vinyl of her torso. Like so!

20221212_103025.jpg.33d4a1827c8ad6863a1b6c341c2a7966.jpg

I did that for two reasons: the magnet is about the same size as 2 or 3 US nickels stacked on top of each other, so obviously, it looks better this way. But it had the added effect of providing a nice grippy surface for the tail magnet, which was totally the opposite of what I expected. Having it this way improves the posability, despite the magnet having to connect through a layer of vinyl!

The glue on the inside keeps failing me, though, I think cause the magnet isn't compatible with the glue. I'm going to try E6000 next, and if THAT fails I'll go back to the vinyl glue and glue a patch of vinyl over the magnet on the inside to get that vinyl-to-vinyl adherence the glue does best with. Since it fell off recently and I'm on vacation rn, I'm making do by just carefully posing her tail so it LOOKS like it's attached. It's worked really well so far, so it should be fine until I get back. (Another benefit of a magnet on the inside is that if the glue fails like this, you can just leave it rattling around loose in there and not worry about losing your magnet. 😅)

OMG thank you! I'll test which magnets I have work best, I got a whole mass of different sizes from K and J lol. Also it's interesting E6000 stuck so well, I was planning on using plumber's epoxy lol. Then again, I was also planning on using some Apoxie Sculpt to make a shaped base for the tail, because Asphodel's dragon tail is not going to have the knockoff Jeton exposed. (It works great for Poppy, don't get me wrong, but Asphodel isn't edgy enough to pull that off lol.) Might end up using a combination on the tail side in the end, so I can get serious strength AND gription. Here's hoping that E6000 works to attach the torso side magnet too lol

Still it's a huge relief to know that if I use the right magnets I can just have the torso side INSIDE the vinyl, instead of having to modify the vinyl or something. I was having a legit mental block over it lol. But now I just need to disassemble this poor child so she can join the Tail Club. 

I have some dumb suggestions for Poppy's Tail's name: Chompers. Twoey (after Audrey II). Stamen (Or Pistil, if it leans more female). 

Looks like Poppy had TONS of fun in Puerto Rico! I hope you did too, despite her dragging you across half the rainforest lolol. I can see why she wanted to get photos though, a photogenic spot for a perky, photogenic girl!

Rajke

Poppy turned out very nicely. Your vacation photoshoot was enjoyable to look at. Your passion and enthusiasm are shown clearly through this shoot. 
@onion26@

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Oculae
On 2/9/2023 at 11:30 AM, Poofiemus said:

I'll test which magnets I have work best, I got a whole mass of different sizes from K and J lol.

I recommend either one HUGE magnet if you plan on rotating the tail for poses frequently, or several medium to small magnets if you don't, as that'll hold it a little more stable in one position. At least from my experience, I'm no magnet expert lol.

And that sounds exciting! I was tempted to put a skin of some sort over her tail, but I am fundamentally lazy so I decided against it, lol. Let me know how the sculpting works out, I'm super curious!

And a big thanks to you and @Rajke ! I had fun with this shoot despite my slow start, so I'm glad it's fun to look at too. ❤️

Now for something completely different...

Despite saying months ago that I was satisfied with not having her, since I was able to make my Roe OC, Solemn, I ended up putting a secondhand nude Y'shtola on layaway after all, to help my friend with a split...and also because dammit, she's really gorgeous in the owner pics. 😅

I finally finalized her eyes, wig, and first outfit in a passable edit, so I'm debuting her!!

879372617_Screenshot_20230208_221148_LINECamera.jpg.e7584b0b6e0fd98f24dc922a6b409029.jpg

(I said PASSABLE, not good, lmao)

This is 祥金珠 (Xiang Jinzhu), my lucky black cat! I spent hours researching Chinese names and I'm still not sure if it's stupid or not, but Google's told me an actual human person has it, so I've deemed it safe to post. 🤣 (If anyone reading speaks Chinese, feel free to tell me I'm silly! I'm trying to go for authentic, or at least respectful, here!)

Xiang is her family name and means "good luck"/"good omen", and Jinzhu is her given name, meaning "gold pearl" or "golden beads". The family name is obvious given that she's a lucky cat, and I went with the given name to draw attention to her eyes, because I LOVE THEM. I hope it's a good name, because then it'd let me call her Zhuzhu, which is ADORABLE.

Her ears and tail are a set from Luts, her eyes are from AlrunasAesthetics on Etsy (and will have holographic glitter in them for extra sparkle), the wig's from Purple Plum (and those pigtails are clips, so I may or may not remove em if I decide it's too much hair), and the outfit's a Vermillion Chinoiserie set from Volks. Her necklace is a tiny pendant I've been wearing, it's got a whole bunch of good luck symbols like a clover, an elephant with its trunk up, etc. I'm super excited for her. ❤️

• Like 3

Poofiemus
On 2/13/2023 at 7:58 AM, Oculae said:

I recommend either one HUGE magnet if you plan on rotating the tail for poses frequently, or several medium to small magnets if you don't, as that'll hold it a little more stable in one position. At least from my experience, I'm no magnet expert lol.

And that sounds exciting! I was tempted to put a skin of some sort over her tail, but I am fundamentally lazy so I decided against it, lol. Let me know how the sculpting works out, I'm super curious!

Yeah the multiple magnets is probably the route I'm gonna go--her tail design has a distinct upper and under side, so I don't want to risk it flipping upside down. Any rotation will occur in the actual armature itself instead. 

Jinzhu has such a great balance between adorable and ladylike, I approve!

Oculae

20230222_110315.jpg.27c21a9c655d10a5dc38c8eb5c95058a.jpg

Nobody's complained about her name, so Jinzhu it is!!!

She showed up yesterday, unbeknownst to me cause I never got the tracking number email from PayPal. Poor kitty sat out in the cold for hours. But she's here with me now, and looks just like I dreamed she would! The resin ears from Luts were even polarized correctly, so I didn't have to do any magnet surgery - they snapped right onto her, and look great. Amazing what a wig and ear change can do.

I've got new eyes coming for her too, but they're all the way across country, so it'll be a few more days. Exciting!!!

• Like 10

tinydollproblem
On 2/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, Oculae said:

20230222_110315.jpg.27c21a9c655d10a5dc38c8eb5c95058a.jpg

Nobody's complained about her name, so Jinzhu it is!!!

She showed up yesterday, unbeknownst to me cause I never got the tracking number email from PayPal. Poor kitty sat out in the cold for hours. But she's here with me now, and looks just like I dreamed she would! The resin ears from Luts were even polarized correctly, so I didn't have to do any magnet surgery - they snapped right onto her, and look great. Amazing what a wig and ear change can do.

I've got new eyes coming for her too, but they're all the way across country, so it'll be a few more days. Exciting!!!

Oh she's stunning!!!

Oculae

Her outfit is FINALLY here. It's midnight, so I'll edit in the morning with nicer pics, but I had to show it. 😆

20230301_000431.jpg.66eb480d3851fd7453657b74dc049154.jpg

Another pic from this morning - her eyes are stunning, just like I hoped!

20230228_083932.jpg.ddb3814d526607afb6d399981a909583.jpg

EDIT:

OKAY, it is no longer midnight! Behold my kitty!

20230301_093043.jpg.db1dab1a19e2c61b73724224af41a7f7.jpg

20230301_092205.jpg.0e98b28f5ba01281a27d6aa92fdbd521.jpg

She's got a stress ball in this one - one of my coworkers found out she can hold it unsupported. 🤣

Edited by Oculae
  • Like 11

Geck_O

Wow @Oculae her design you came up with is really striking! I love her red and gold colour palette, she reminds me of lunar new year decorations!

Oculae

Thanks @Geck_O! That was the goal - from my very rudimentary understanding of the culture, those decorations are red and gold specifically to bring in good luck and prosperity. The new year's certainly a great time to get a little extra luck!

And as an aside, did you know that while it's the Year of the Rabbit in most countries that observe Lunar New Year, Vietnam celebrates the Year of the Cat this year? Jinzhu picked a good year to show up. 😆

Onto general updates...

Nothing too interesting in the lab lately as I've been busy, but I did some experimenting with Poppy today and discovered she can support herself pretty well with her tail if I balance it right. She can do this pose totally standless now!

23-03-09-12-24-40-610_deco.jpg.cb965cc19bbc9d1b7056f31a193e8513.jpg

I also have a couple of other Poppy pics I'll dump here too for funsies:

20230303_125757.jpg.5248a1a68a939414a901cc9d8729729d.jpg

Here she is in her carrying bag, tucked away safely with me while I was at an event! The pocket contains my secret stash of Poppy stickers that I give out to people who ask about her...and a cool folding toothbrush that I use to fix flyaways on the go.

20230306_104058.jpg.89dc3cdda2ca8876f9d76fb85dc55e82.jpg

And here she is sitting with me at a friend's house while I work hard to keep my personal website updated. I'm already behind again, I take too many doll pictures! 😆

That's all for now!

Edited by Oculae
  • Like 6

tinydollproblem

I love seeing Poppy pop up! Her carry bag is amazing!

Yuns

I just went through this thread and I love all your hybrids! That's really impressive how you can combine pieces from so many bodies like that.

Greta
On 12/24/2022 at 10:36 PM, Oculae said:

The hybrid I mentioned in the last post has a head, a temporary outfit, and a name now! Meet Sinclair!

20221224_105153.jpg.09a162a24db4a10507c18deb3ae2dd9e.jpg

She'll be getting her wig on Monday, which is when I'll do a full writeup of my whole journey to make her body. As for her head...it's a DDH-07 painted by ねこまっしぐら (Nekomasshigure), and for those who like trawling Manda, yes, it's that one that cost 58k. Worth it. 😆

Her faceup had more red in it in Manda's pics, though, and I was disappointed by how anemic she looked in person...so of course the first thing I did upon her arrival was add some extra blush to my astoundingly expensive doll head. And then reseal her. In subzero weather. At least it's not that humid...? 

20221224_104909.jpg.0723f632c7d538564ea39e4a3af23174.jpg

Thankfully the god of MSC didn't punish me for my hubris - the shininess in this pic faded as the sealant dried, and I imagine she'll be perfectly matte this time tomorrow. Phew! She matches her Manda pic perfectly now, so I'm absolutely in love.

20221224_193657.jpg.913117ebc43062d9a1ea9579fff85cb7.jpg

EDIT: Two Christmas Eve miracles! Her wig showed up today! This is Perfect Maple in Short Wavy by DallasDollCo and I'm so glad it fit. I'm never sure with wigs made for Smart Doll, but I found someone on Facebook with a DD who helpfully modeled it on her to show me it fit just fine. Hooray!

She is super cute, how did you put dollfie legs in the body? I have always wanted to do that but i don’t know how to 🥲