Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

plasticyears

Dollfie Dream Frieren

finnleo
1 hour ago, plasticyears said:

perhaps a DDS

just watched past the first half of the animes starting episode(s), and probably a Semiwhite DDS S-bust (given the cliché comparison bit with the girl she picked up as a companion)

but have to say that this is quite fast, even if there was old source material for the anime that just premiered, of which the announcement art is from.

but she is a likeable flatpan character, and the series seems to run deep in the theme of how time passes differently for some people.

But considering elves out of recent stuff I would have thought Sylphiette out of Mushoku tensei would have come first.

And now we just have to wait for the scale of her staff to be bodged like Megumins, and how big of a gap they can make the eye makeup to eyehole this time.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1

Dolly

I'm not familiar with this series, but a SWS likely-DDS elf has my interest piqued! I really like her calm expression, though I suppose it will depend on how the sculpt and faceup turn out (though I would wish she didn't some with her staff that makes her more expensive).

Can't wait to see her!

<3 At home: Smartdoll Dimension & Onward 

(*) Wishing for: Dollfie Dream

Monty

Will this be the biggest elf ears on a head so far? I’m curious if they’ll be part of the sculpt or clip-ons. Her bangs hang in front of them, so a clip-on seam could easily be hidden.
I’ve been meaning to get around to reading this because the plot sounded interesting (although sad) and it’s apparently extremely well-regarded, but I might check out the anime too.

miraclelovely

im extremely excited about this! depending on how it turns out, i'm sensing a new potential grail doll.

PolitelyNefarious

I am also not privy to this series, but if she's got the ears and those narrower eyes? She might end up being a future budget goal. Elves are my weakness. I like her clean, simple but strong design. The staff would make a fun prop as well.

• Like 3

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg 855019605_DeletelaterSmol.jpg.136e5d245c2328488f8736543aceb78d.jpg

Beani

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an anime get a doll this quickly? Didn’t the first four eps literally just come out?

Making time to watch it now cause her design is perfect for a doll.

Anna-neko
19 minutes ago, Beani said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an anime get a doll this quickly? Didn’t the first four eps literally just come out?

well, the anime may be new, but the manga has been around for a couple years.....

anyway, wow Volks way to jump on the elven ship. I wonder how big her ears will be, and the staff too! Will she come with her lil suitcase?!?!?

Beani
1 hour ago, Anna-neko said:

well, the anime may be new, but the manga has been around for a couple years....

Yeah I’m aware the manga was and is a big hit and started in 2020 but it’s still unusual to jump on the wagon right at the start of an anime release (usually they would do it before the anime or after they have confirmed the anime isn’t trash). If the adaptation goes poorly it won’t get the surge in popularity that may be expected. Also the announcement uses the anime art. 

But from watching one ep so far it seems very promising. Can see why the manga took off. 

Still Spy Family was expected as a big hit with a massive manga fan base and it didn’t have immediate dolls. That took about 6 months? Perhaps the production committee and Volks are happy to take more risks or were able to agree faster than usual. Just find it an interesting change to the norm. Interested to know if any other dolls were anywhere near this quick. 

finnleo

manga has been around for a couple years.....

Did do a amazon check, and the first english volume did come out in nov 2021, but given how series discovery works for some folks the anime was the first I personally heard of this. (then again I have a pile of unread novels and manga from years ago I just dont seem to have time for because work and life reasons, so havent really even looked at new stuff)

I wonder how big her ears will be, and the staff too! Will she come with her lil suitcase?

Kirika's ears are probably close at least the base of the ear is about as chunky compared to what I remember of Asuna-Titania. Already mentioned my reservations of getting the staff scale correct ... the suitcase would really be a nice addition but somehow I think it would be either that or the staff (But there's always the optional extras approach).. but whats really going to be new for volks is the thicc stubby eyebrows, which really make me hope they dont do sillyness with the eyeliner this time.

16 minutes ago, Beani said:

Just find it an interesting change to the norm. Interested to know if any other dolls were anywhere near this quick. 

there probably was some negotiations going on awhile back. I seem to recall some posted background info that Volks tends to have a set agenda that goes at least a year in advance (but my memory is what it is, so thake that with a grain of salt).    Id have to check release dates since its decades ago, but I guess the visual novel based character releases back in the day were similar?  with the pure version of any given game getting a release, the accompanying anime and the doll to go with it in near succession.

But nothing quite this fast in terms of anime to doll thats for sure.

Edited by finnleo

Monty
4 hours ago, Beani said:

Interested to know if any other dolls were anywhere near this quick. 

I think the closest I’m aware of was Amamiya Sakura being announced as soon as the Shin Sakura Taisen game released (iirc the announcement was literally the same day as the game release) although Volks did have an existing relationship with the franchise. Still, a pretty big gamble for a character no one really knew anything about yet.

It’s possible the anime team requested the Frieren collab - I know that kind of thing happens with Good Smile Company and often as a way to promote the series. Making dolls of seasonal anime is always a risky business considering the amount of time that passes and how quick fans move on these days but the announcement right when the anime starts airing might mean the hype is still fresh when she actually comes out.

Edited by Monty

dolloramore

I'm very excited as I've been following the manga for a while! I really hope they'll do her sculpt justice and if they do I'll try to go after her 🔥

I was surprised by how quick she was announced too! Definitely a surprise 

Beani
18 hours ago, Monty said:

I think the closest I’m aware of was Amamiya Sakura being announced as soon as the Shin Sakura Taisen game released (iirc the announcement was literally the same day as the game release) although Volks did have an existing relationship with the franchise. Still, a pretty big gamble for a character no one really knew anything about yet.

I had an inkling there was another case of this and Sakura would definitely be the one I remember thanks! A lot of people were confused about that early announcement too as that was a brand new character. At least Frieren has quite a lot of manga for people to know her (11 volumes since 2020 seems high? The author works hard!). 

After watching a couple of eps I definitely like the character enough. Excited to see how the doll turns out, though since I’m out of space and not at the best point to get more dolls a small part of me hopes I don’t like the sculpt once we see her.  

Astraea

I remember really loving the manga, though I haven't caught up in a couple of years at this point haha... From what I remember it's very emotional and the art is beautiful, I should catch up soon.

finnleo

coming into ep 5 of the anime, and along with the happenings in ep 4, im starting to wonder if the body might actually be a DDP, since frieren seems properly short when the apprentice overtakes her in height.

• Like 1

Cydril

Frieren is so short and kind of stocky. Her face reminds of of the two newest DD 28 and 29. I wonder if they're going to put her on the new mdd body. My friend group has been really into this manga but I'm still new to it 😅

SakuraSylph
On 9/29/2023 at 10:22 PM, Beani said:

Interested to know if any other dolls were anywhere near this quick. 

Wasn't Yaya from Unbreakable Machine Doll out also right when the anime started airing? I seem to recall it being used as an advertising tie-in product to introduce the character. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "whoa that doll came out early."

SDs Victorique and Kujou were out around the time the Gosick anime was airing, although that property had many light novels out by that point. I don't think it was as close as Yaya though.

• Like 1

SakuraSylph

Beani
4 hours ago, SakuraSylph said:

Wasn't Yaya from Unbreakable Machine Doll out also right when the anime started airing? I seem to recall it being used as an advertising tie-in product to introduce the character. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "whoa that doll came out early."

SDs Victorique and Kujou were out around the time the Gosick anime was airing, although that property had many light novels out by that point. I don't think it was as close as Yaya though.

Fantastic memory! Yayas anime started early Oct 2013 and she was announced with full doll reveal in mid-Nov that year so super close but not quite as sudden as Frieren (can’t find any earlier mention before that Volks news but maybe there was a teaser earlier). 

Yaya is a gorgeous doll so the fact Unbreakable wasn’t a huge hit didn’t harm them much (I’m surprised to see it with so many ratings these days, guess it was more popular than I initially thought). But I was pretty disappointed and dropped the anime. Still would have grabbed Yaya if the timing were better for me though.

13 hours ago, finnleo said:

coming into ep 5 of the anime, and along with the happenings in ep 4, im starting to wonder if the body might actually be a DDP, since frieren seems properly short when the apprentice overtakes her in height.

I was thinking she’d suit DDP as well. Earlier on in the anime I thought perhaps the guys were just particularly tall but her height next to Fern suggests shorter. 

If she is DDP that will give me a reason to skip at least. I love that body and have been tempted often by Iori or Ribbon but I simply don’t want yet another clothing and shoe size right now..

If she’s really nice though… sigh. 

Edited by Beani

jadepixel

The doll that comes to mind for coming out of no where is Haruka Niimi, I think the game/anime/doll announce were almost at the same time. It didn't seem like there was much anticipation or existing fandom for that one either.

But back to topic, I'm thinking Frieren is going to be DDS just because Volks is allergic to releasing DDP 😅 It could be cool if they update the body shell the same way they've done for MDD though, wonder if/when that will happen.

• Like 2

finnleo
23 hours ago, Beani said:

Yaya is a gorgeous doll so the fact Unbreakable wasn’t a huge hit didn’t harm them much (I’m surprised to see it with so many ratings these days, guess it was more popular than I initially thought)

Machine doll has its peculiar charm points (The way Yaya cries beads or pearls is hilarious), but at the same time its sort of generic in nature. also during the airing of the anime I dont think there was enough written material for a second season, and not really much to continue the story in written form either so there wasnt really anything to keep the momentum up.

Also looking at the studio timeline Machine doll came after Danganrompa from Lerche and the latter leaves a bigger impression so Yaya & co. had a tough act to follow.

Its not a bad series, but its no Kabaneri of the iron fortress.

Xiongmao

I don't know this anime/manga, but as I'm making my way through Sword Art Online I'm happy they've decided to make another elf.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Oculae

I've heard a few things about this manga even before the announcement, so this was the final kick in the pants to go read it.

I'll have to see how she looks in doll form, but I loooove Frieren now. If the doll looks good, I'm in trouble. And I've got a spare SMD Eiji head whose faceup (originally based on my OC) would fit her companion Himmel perfectly. Dangerous...

• Like 2

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

MagicalRinchan

I checked out the anime because of this dollfie announcement, and so far it's a lovely show with themes of the passage of time, memories, and a bit of Frieren making up for some regrets of opportunities she didn't previously value. I've been crying a bit at all the flashbacks, it's a very sentimental story.

Based on 5 episodes, would recommend it if you're curious!

Oculae

Frieren pics were shared to GL/GS/VIP members today, and she's been confirmed to be a DDS.

https://dollfie.ec.volks.co.jp/ext/blog/231013_dolpa50.html

I believe she's also getting released at Dolpa 50, if I read it right? The machine translation is tricky.

I really like her look as a doll, but I hope we get some more pictures, especially of her face. Either way I'm gonna try to grab her, she's lovely!

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

finnleo

Not really sure do I like the heavy outline on her eyebrows ... but they be thicc true to source... also staff + suitcase combo, which both look to be to scale for once.

She has a nice squint going on, However ... The... stupid... eyeliner... stuff... continues...

ufff...

EDIT; Meanwhile in ep 6 of the anime ... Fern with the Savage critique ... almost died of laughter.

Edited by finnleo