The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

leitan

VMF50 & Angel Philia Discussion Thread (nsfw, doll nudity)

Misha-san

I wrote another version of this a few months ago, but it probably is worth repeating.

An Incomplete Crash Course in the History of the VMF/Angel Phillia, 48/50cm Dolls.

This helped a lot! Thank you very much for both this explanation and the PM. Unfortunatelly I cannot answer to PMs yet because of post count, so I could not reply you there.

just realize her wigs got a lot of frizzy fiber, time for grooming eri!

She is so pretty! Great pose and the eyes are hypnotizing

K-2

This is an overview of my new Pink Drops #23 “Walnut” with Soft Skin.

Specifications

● Head: Type-H (“Miho”), 16mm eyes, 7 inch wig size, face-up included

● Eyes: Original Doll Eyes - Grey 16mm

● Body: Upper torso/Type-C3, lower torso and thigh/Type-H, shin/Type-C, upper and lower arms/Obitsu50, high heel feet (magnets not included), white skin fully blushed

● Bust, abdomen, thighs are Soft Skin

● Option parts included: 2 additional types of hand parts (fully blushed)/open hands, fist hands, gripping hands (on body)

● Inner Frame: Obitsu48cm

The first thing I noticed was the Soft Skin parts are extremely soft and deform with the slightest touch. As I was unpacking I noticed there were deformations in both thighs where the hands had been press against them during shipping.

001.jpg

002.jpg

With the arms pulled away from the thighs, the deformations remained. A little time with the hair dryer and the thighs returned to their original (as molded) shape.

003.jpg

004.jpg

As you can guess, the Soft Skin parts are thin. In this picture we have the Soft Skin part on the left and a regular Type H abdomen.

005.jpg

The Soft Skin part has a wall thickness of 1.68mm.

006.jpg

While the regular Abdomen has a wall thickness of 2.48mm.

007.jpg

Due to the nature of the slush molding process these dimensions will no doubt vary slightly from part to part.

Angel Philia recommends filling the interior of the Soft Skin parts to help them hold their shape. Having several weeks between pre-order and delivery, I decided to try stuffing Walnut with polyester batting, a.k.a. quilt batting. This material is soft, light weight, durable, and will return to its shape after being crushed. The coarse nature of the material allows it to grip itself helping hold it in position. I had some on hand that had a nominal thickness of 3/8” so I went ahead with that.

During disassembly I noticed the holes in the shoulder of the bust for the arm pegs were incompletely trimmed.

008.jpg

On the left arm this flash had been pulled into the socket in the chest piece during assembly at the factory. The flash was thick enough to shatter the socket.

009.jpg

I had a “repaired” spare (very loose) on hand and continued with that. A new chest part will have to be purchased.

Next I continued with the stuffing of the bust with the batting. Two, 2” squares of batting were wadded up and stuffed in each breast cavity.

010.jpg

Another 2”x4” wad was stuffed on each side of the chest part in the front.

Next was stuffing the abdomen. Knowing the difficulty of removing and replacing the spine and hip parts, I opted to stuff the batting around the spine into the abdomen. To assist in the stuffing and placement of the batting inside the confined abdomen, I used a thin wooden clay sculpting tool to push the batting into place. The sculpting tool is slim and not very sharp so there was little chance of poking a hole in the thin vinyl.

010a.jpg

Six 2”x4” pieces of batting were folded in quarters and pushed into the butt and hip areas symmetrically. The number of pieces inserted was determined by putting in a single piece at a time, then checking to see if after the area when squeezed returned easily to its proper size/shape without making the part feel too firm. Several 2”x4” pieces of batting were put into the front stomach area.

With the lower abdomen satisfactorily stuffed, I cut several pieces of batting about 2”x12”, folded them in half along the long dimension and then stuffed them symmetrically in the waist area till the abdomen was filled up to the bottom of the top peg of the spine. Note that very little batting is between the spine and the back of the waist area.

011.jpg

Assembling the bust and torso by making the chest part to spine connection blindly proved difficult so I removed the chest part from the bust and placed it on the spine. Then I replaced the batting that had come out of the bust and inserted the the bust back over the chest part. This process worked much better.

Next came the thighs. I did not want to remove the legs from the body so I pulled the bottom of the legs off from the knee down. If the thigh bones come out with the knee joint, remove them from the knee and reinsert them into the hip joints. Once the thigh is stuffed you won’t be able to find the hip joint to replace the thigh bones.

012.jpg

2”x 6” pieces of batting folded in half to form 1” x 6” pieces were stuffed into the thighs, working them in around the thigh bone so the thigh bone remains centered in the thigh vinyl. Continue adding batting strips till the thighs are padded satisfactorily. Work your way to the end of the thigh bone.

013.jpg

With the thighs stuffed, reattach the lower legs.

The batting appears to be performing as desired. The Soft Skin parts deform easily yet spring right back into position.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

The Soft Skin parts perform as advertised. Their softness allows those parts to flatten against each other similarly to real body parts.

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Soft Skin does have its limitations. Bending/compressing a part too much can cause unnatural wrinkles and folds in the vinyl. You will have to experiment with the Soft Skin body to determine where these limits are. Next we will have to throw some clothes into the mix and see what happens.

022.jpg

Edited by Guest

MVSig.jpg

cirquemom

Well, she would not be the first girl to "stuff", so....

Hey- cool pair of digital calipers!

So the "soft skin" is just very thing vinyl?

She looks a little.....worried about the whole process.

I can't wait to see where she fits into the MADn Scheme.

Corvus

K2 - thanks for the detailed write-up! It really clarifies the differences between the soft and regular skins. I was thinking of using cotton balls as filler for my upcoming Marika, but your quilt batting material seems like a much better alternative.

I was concerned that the soft skin might be more vulnerable to staining, but it appears that it's just a thinner variation of the regular vinyl formulation.

Now that you have a soft skin version in-hand, any regrets? Do you feel that the improved posing possibilities outweigh the potential drawbacks (deformation, possible long term durability issues, etc.)?

K-2
I was thinking of using cotton balls as filler for my upcoming Marika, but your quilt batting material seems like a much better alternative.

The polyester batting (not cotton batting) is much springier than cotton balls would be. I'm also hoping that the larger pieces of batting used won't shift around much over time and usage.

I was concerned that the soft skin might be more vulnerable to staining, but it appears that it's just a thinner variation of the regular vinyl formulation.

Yes, it appears to be our familiar vinyl material, just thinner.

Now that you have a soft skin version in-hand, any regrets? Do you feel that the improved posing possibilities outweigh the potential drawbacks (deformation, possible long term durability issues, etc.)?

Regrets? No. This girl was purchased purely to find out what this Soft Skin was all about.

I am wondering about clothes. Will waist bands and other tight details permanently deform these parts? Since she's one of the sexy RAP girls, I get the feeling that she's not supposed to be wearing much in the way of clothing. I'm probably just going to have to play around with her and see what shakes out.

But I gotta get that chest part replaced ASAP! Her droopy arms are bugging the shift out of me.

Come on Parabox! EMS me some parts!

MVSig.jpg

Corvus

Thanks for the reply.

Hey, isn't there some kinda warranty on these puppies? That shoulder socket damage was clearly a manufacturing defect.

K-2
Hey, isn't there some kinda warranty on these puppies? That shoulder socket damage was clearly a manufacturing defect.

I have never seen a published warranty of any kind. There might be one somewhere in the fine print on some obscure "About Us" page on someone's website, but I haven't found it. I would guess a broken part that came with the doll could probably get replaced. I just don't have the energy at the moment to deal with the problem in that way. The doll came from Hong Kong so there is a shipping issue. I was planning on making a parts order with Parabox anyway. I might reconsider in a few days, but for now...

MVSig.jpg

Nyx Whitestar

Thanks for the comparisons photos!

Angel Philia recommends filling the interior of the Soft Skin parts to help them hold their shape.

I did not fill mine with anything (Lena tan), in my opinion it is not really necessary, she holds herself perfectly!

She also had the deformation due to the hands on her thighs, but the shape came back on its own in a few days.

I'm sorry for you for the broken part ><

ig-log10.png ap10.png

Corvus

Got a new wig for Marika so she'll have something nice to keep her big egghead warm when she arrives, but Ran managed to get her greasy mitts on it.

bunny%20ran_zpsvmxhtfvb.jpg

K-2
Got a new wig for Marika so she'll have something nice to keep her big egghead warm when she arrives, but Ran managed to get her greasy mitts on it.

It's hard to get mad at them when they look so cute.

MVSig.jpg

Corvus
It's hard to get mad at them when they look so cute.

A human foible they're more than happy to exploit. These things are devils masquerading as angels.

elianti

Soft skin looks really interesting! The thinnest dolly part vinyl that I have is a stock 48/50cm L bust.. I have no idea how that compares to this newer skin though. I like how the thinner vinyl looks so natural in poses.

And it's kind of a REALLY odd question but do any of the wider-hipped(Type A/G/H?) torso pieces have kinda flat stomachs? One of the girls I'm working on is practically a chimera with all of the different company parts she'd have (Parabox high heel feet, Azone AZO2 thighs, modded DD and/or Smart Doll hands, SQ Lab head, and regular Obitsu for everything else), so I figure I might as well add an AP part in there as well since I can anyway. Her current AZO2 torso looks good with the thighs but the slightly chubby tummy doesn't fit the skinny pear shape body she should have so I'd like to know if any of the vmf50/AP torsos fit the bill. ^^"

K-2
And it's kind of a REALLY odd question but do any of the wider-hipped(Type A/G/H?) torso pieces have kinda flat stomachs? One of the girls I'm working on is practically a chimera with all of the different company parts she'd have (Parabox high heel feet, Azone AZO2 thighs, modded DD and/or Smart Doll hands, SQ Lab head, and regular Obitsu for everything else), so I figure I might as well add an AP part in there as well since I can anyway. Her current AZO2 torso looks good with the thighs but the slightly chubby tummy doesn't fit the skinny pear shape body she should have so I'd like to know if any of the vmf50/AP torsos fit the bill. ^^"

The "chubby tummy" kind of started with the Type G body, continued with the Type Cs, and has peaked (so far) with the Type H body. The Type A abdomen has the flattest tummy of the "wider hip" abdomens followed by the Type B, which has a more muscular look. The Type D, E, and F abdomens are relatively flat but not as "hippy" as the Type A and B. The stock Obitsu abdomen is the flattest but is pretty bland compared to the more shapely Yamato/AP bodies.

MVBustChart02.jpg

http://madhvinyl.com/Posts/333/MVBustChart02.jpg

MVSig.jpg

elianti

The "chubby tummy" kind of started with the Type G body, continued with the Type Cs, and has peaked (so far) with the Type H body. The Type A abdomen has the flattest tummy of the "wider hip" abdomens followed by the Type B, which has a more muscular look. The Type D, E, and F abdomens are relatively flat but not as "hippy" as the Type A and B. The stock Obitsu abdomen is the flattest but is pretty bland compared to the more shapely Yamato/AP bodies.

Thanks once again for the helpful info, K-2! I'll go with the type A then. Wide hips are really important so this girl looks right. ^^ I also really like the look and uniqueness of the Type B body, but I think it might be too muscle-y for even the most athletic of my shorter girls(If they had a similar one at the taller DD or DDS size on the other hand...).

scheli79

K 2 your posts are so helpful! I myself like the "normal" Body more , the flesh parts look interesting but the thin skin frighten me a bit lol

scheli79

here is my manami , she has a custom face up by a artist from germany

20161025_120330.jpg

i have allready changed her wig now because i like her "darker" better , i am just now looking for some cool horns and a big bust and i am happy ^^

20161221_213022.jpg

K-2

That's one hot little trio. They can come by caroling anytime.

MVSig.jpg

Amara77

So what are the odds they will re-lease another tan Ran? What type head is this again J?

I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for a pre-order or not.

I don't mind which version it is, I'm just looking for this sculpt.

I plan on having her re-painted, I just need her in tan.

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

K-2
So what are the odds they will re-lease another tan Ran? What type head is this again J?

I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for a pre-order or not.

I don't mind which version it is, I'm just looking for this sculpt.

I plan on having her re-painted, I just need her in tan.

I don't remember seeing a tan Type J sculpt.

Ran is the Type J sculpt, the same as Rin:

http://www.faithz.com/%C3%A3%C2%80%C2%90angel-philia%C3%A3%C2%80%C2%91-%C3%A5%C2%87%C2%9B-%C3%AF%C2%BC%C2%9Crin%C3%AF%C2%BC%C2%9E-p-1419.html

I don't remember seeing a tan Type J sculpt (not to say there wasn't one, just that I don't remember one). I'll have to check my VMF/AP/RAP database at home.

My Rin with her G bust upgrade:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3723&start=1140#p207274

MVSig.jpg

Nyx Whitestar

Angel Philia Chica was Type-J in tan too Nobody can predict the next type which will be release. You can try to find Chica or Ran on YJA or Mandarake, as they are sold out.

Here's my Chica :

Angel Philia Chica

ig-log10.png ap10.png

Corvus

Happy new year, kiddies.

Ran's all set fer winter.

Ran%20Winter_zpstikpdlzd.jpg

Amara77

I just meant the type J as in Ran and Chica and Eri etc. Rin is also a type J?

I just want that sculpt in tan. I can work out the rest of the body parts to my specifications later.

So I will just have to wait and see or look for one in the meantime. It's ok since I'm broke after Christmas anyhow haha.

Corvus As usual I love her. Could you take a couple shots of her profile for me if you ever get a chance?

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....