Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

Mirai SmartDoll Info thread (UPDATED)

baldylox

Howdy folks! I decided to make this thread so people who don't have a Mirai but are interested in seeing her or buying her can check things out that you might not have seen online yet. I'll keep updating here with things as I find them or come across them while owning/playing/photographing her.

First up I'd like to show people how to change her bust. She comes standard with what is termed an S-bust. This size is closer to the DD M-bust size tho. I already swapped out her bust last weekend so a few friends could check her out so she's already gotten the L-bust on.

14563287414_47ec911bd1_c.jpgDSC_2169 by balldylox, on Flickr

As you can see, it looks HUGE in this T-shirt! Plus, her headlights are definitely on high beam.

14378327958_87f357d94d_c.jpgDSC_2170 by balldylox, on Flickr

I'm still not 100% sure what bust mine will keep but for now, I'm swapping back to the S-bust. Here's how you proceed. First, just like a DD, you have to pull her head off. Grip the neck with one hand to stabilize it and then grab her head with your other hand and pull up with a twisting motion. This is what her neck piece looks like.

14378267560_54911ed2ff_c.jpgDSC_2171 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's the L-bust. It's bigger in size than a DD L-bust. I didn't have a spare DD L-bust to show comparison too but trust me, this one's a bit wider and larger.

14378359399_6d732d40d6_c.jpgDSC_2172 by balldylox, on Flickr

From the side you can see the high waist joint where the underside is cut. This is similar to the DDdy trim.

14541852266_e04a3420c7_c.jpgDSC_2173 by balldylox, on Flickr

Next you have to pull the arms off. Just grab the shoulder on the arm with one hand and pull it straight out while twisting it back and forth. Make sure you grip the shoulder inside the torso too with your other hand because you don't want to damage the inner frame. Plus this makes it easier to pull the arm out.

14378501477_a8562b0e41_c.jpgDSC_2174 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's what the arms look like when out. Very similar to a DD arm but the pegs look different and have those rings on them. More on those in a bit....

14563272084_a231137bba_z.jpgDSC_2175 by balldylox, on Flickr

After both arms are off, just slide the bust off the top and you're done! Now you can see the inner skeleton/Miraiframe inside. The joints that make the skeleton are called "Jeton Joints" and are surprisingly strong and stiff.

14378495787_4cb517b4f6_c.jpgDSC_2176 by balldylox, on Flickr

Unlike the DD frames, this one is very slim and takes up hardly any room inside the body at all. But since this vinyl skin shell is also designed to work with the Automatic SmartDoll, this room will be filled up with the addition of those electronics and motors.

14378493257_1a3cb7fa10_c.jpgDSC_2177 by balldylox, on Flickr

This frame is flexible! Very cool how it works..... I'm still amazed at how strong it seems to feel considering it looks very fragile.

14561547231_4d52c90b96_c.jpgDSC_2178 by balldylox, on Flickr

These are the shoulder tubes that the arms go into. I know they look dainty and slim but they feel pretty solid. They also move backward and forward independently as seen here.

14564096472_e40afebbed_c.jpgDSC_2179 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's a shot of the underside of the L-bust. It's wide open under there! A lot less vinyl here than on the DD versions.

14378339179_27aa0d2cef_c.jpgDSC_2180 by balldylox, on Flickr

For comparison, this is the underside of the S-bust.

14564081592_98333e4d50_c.jpgDSC_2184 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's a comparison of the L-bust and the S-bust. Notice the size and shape difference of the breasts and the lack of nipples on the S-bust.

14585014823_cb5d646095_z.jpgDSC_2181 by balldylox, on Flickr

14561537701_b3cbebf056_z.jpgDSC_2182 by balldylox, on Flickr

14561534211_7195f21f9e_z.jpgDSC_2183 by balldylox, on Flickr

The S-bust back on the body.

14378229210_9c6d8d9f32_c.jpgDSC_2185 by balldylox, on Flickr

Since I had these busts off, I decided to check the fitment of a Volks DDdy bust onto the SmartDoll body. Here's how the different busts look together. L-bust on the left, then DDdy in the center with S-bust on the right.

14378467297_064c90c8ac_z.jpgDSC_2186 by balldylox, on Flickr

14378464427_bc28af524d_z.jpgDSC_2187 by balldylox, on Flickr

Well, that didn't work out at all. It seems the opening on the bottom of the DDdy bust is way too small to slide over the lower body.

14563236194_4258031a55_c.jpgDSC_2188 by balldylox, on Flickr

The inner frame tubes can't even get close to the shoulder openings.

14563233254_2fa9ea3867_c.jpgDSC_2189 by balldylox, on Flickr

You can clearly see the issue here. The lower torso on Mirai is too wide to let the DDdy bust slide down. I'm not even sure if you trimmed the bust that it would fit. I don't think it will at all.

14378273018_10c2d9f579_c.jpgDSC_2190 by balldylox, on Flickr

So it's back to the S-bust! Just put the arms back in like normal. But it's not normal when they go back in. Remember those rings we saw on the shoulder pegs? Those actually make a loud "CLICK" noise when you put them back in! So you know the arms are in properly once you hear that.

14563228644_c4e30b7274_c.jpgDSC_2191 by balldylox, on Flickr

And Mirai is back too! Just in time to try on a Volks outfit made for the DD girls. It fits her very well I think.

14541801066_725733464f_c.jpgDSC_2192 by balldylox, on Flickr

14561506171_04a9d27f7e_c.jpgDSC_2193 by balldylox, on Flickr

Now let's discuss hands. I was wondering if any of my spare DD hands would fit on her so I figured why not try some out? Mirai, can you show me your hands please?

"Hmmm? What for?"

We're gonna try something out with some new hands ok?

"Okay...."

14378300139_2450a44da3_c.jpgDSC_2195 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here are her default hands. Kind of a cross between the default DD hands and the gripping hands with their shape and look.

14378259128_4322e67e97_z.jpgDSC_2196 by balldylox, on Flickr

To get her hands off, you do the same as you do with a DD. Pull off the vinyl while holding onto the arm and wrist frame. This is what's underneath. See that 3rd joint there? I wish the DD girls had that! It makes posing their hands so much easier! Also, that little open slot is for something....

14541789716_7a2e966e58_z.jpgDSC_2197 by balldylox, on Flickr

It's for magnets! AsianEd hooked us up with some tiny rare earth magnets so Mirai can hold onto metal bits and weapons. These magnets go right underneath the hands and don't cause any issues with swapping hands out.

14563211444_2a79128d5c_z.jpgDSC_2198 by balldylox, on Flickr

Now in checking out hands, I found that not ALL DD hands will work on Mirai. Why you ask? Easy, it's these holes at the base of the hands that make the hands either work or not work. On the left in this picture is the default Mirai hand. On the right is a default pose DD hand. See how the DD hand has a slightly wider and bigger opening? That causes the hand to not fit snugly onto Mirai's hand frame. Any other hands that have small opening s will fit nicely tho.

14378436927_d57fba990c_z.jpgDSC_2199 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's the two defaults side by side. The DD hand is slightly larger than Mirai's. As for color, the DD hands are a tiny bit lighter than Mirai hands. But not by much.

14561491281_db88f0589e_z.jpgDSC_2200 by balldylox, on Flickr

So what DD hands work and which won't? I tried all the ones I had and found that the following hands will work nicely on her. These all fit tightly with no wobbling around.

Paper or open palm hands:

14563203164_3a8e0f9c5f_c.jpgDSC_2201 by balldylox, on Flickr

Peace sign/victory hands:

14561485701_6a949aa4fe_c.jpgDSC_2203 by balldylox, on Flickr

Kitty hands/fists:

14378178220_ff3cd010d3_c.jpgDSC_2206 by balldylox, on Flickr

One note on these hands, you have to have the OLDER fist hands for these to work on Mirai. In this pic we have the new versions to the left and the old ones to the right. The openings on the newer hands are too big and will slide right off the frame in Mirai's wrists. So for kitty hands, you have to use the old ones.

14564867495_8b50744121_z.jpgDSC_2204 by balldylox, on Flickr

In using the old fists, you get great pics like this:

14564026542_f0fb288ca2_c.jpgDSC_2207 by balldylox, on Flickr

And lastly, the pointing finger hands work perfectly and the "Idol" hands kind of work. The set I have fits her but is a tad loose. It didn't fall off on it's own but it wasn't sturdy at all on her wrist. Still, it worked for this pic:

14564864645_d73d0be8bb_c.jpgDSC_2205 by balldylox, on Flickr

So there we have it! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about Mirai here. Thanks for looking!

Billy

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

AnimatorAR

Thank you, Billy. So that means if I use blue tak or double sided tape I can use any DD hands even if it has bigger openings. Also when you have time I would love to see photos of the DD L Bust compared with Mirai's L Bust. Do you also own Mirai's M Bust? Also can you use Mirai's hand peg on DDs to give them that extra hand 3rd joint?

baldylox
Thank you, Billy.

You're welcome!

So that means if I use blue tak or double sided tape I can use any DD hands even if it has bigger openings?

I would think you could yes.

Also when you have time I would love to see photos of the DD L Bust compared with Mirai's L Bust.

Sure, I can do that. I might have time this weekend so check back here to see.

Do you also own Mirai's M Bust?

Nope, sorry.

Also can you use Mirai's hand peg on DDs to give them that extra hand 3rd joint?

Nope, the hand peg for Mirai is WAY thinner and would slip in and out of the DD arm hole super easily. When I do my big post on the comparison of Mirai to a DD body, I'll show those parts off better.

Billy

• Like 1

Eiko82

That was really informative. Thank you. I look forward to the body comparison photos

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

baldylox
That was really informative. Thank you. I look forward to the body comparison photos

Thank you! Hopefully I can do that comparison post within a week or so.

Great post, thanks for the info! I'm amazed by how photogenic Mirai is...

You're welcome! Mirai sure is good in front of the camera, it's really easy to photograph her!

Billy

Ayuuya

^^ Thank you for sharing this information~ I'm also looking forward to your next comparison post.

Oni-Chan

Very informative billy, thanks so much for taking the time to share ♡ I Hope to get a Kizuna so this helps in future cost planning ^-^

I have more dollfies than my age in years *×*

Yami Usagi

Fascinating read just to learn more about Mirai. I know a lot of people have been waiting for a proper comparison like this!

And seeing a doll topless is nothing new to me, but there's something so realistic about the way Mirai's bust is shaped that I feel a little wrong looking at it O_O'

Pihlajakoto

Very nice and informative post I would love to see comparison shots between DDdy, DD3 and Mirai. I have a feeling Mirai is somewhere between DD3 and DDdy

Pity that I have carved the holes of old DD hands bigger, but will try what bluetack says about holding them in place for Mirai. As for the little magnets for Mirai's hand word Neodymium springs into mind. BJD people use Neodymium magnets a lot so I ordered bunch of them too. They're really small compared to the power the magnet has.

Btw, changing eyes on Mirai is fantastically easy Bluetack is so much easier to remove than hotglue. I've been using bluetack myself too, but about 1/3 of the amount Mirai had inside of her head ^^; Didn't take picture of Mirai's eyes after I changed them but they are wonderful resin eyes that have body! Some Resin eyes I've bought from YJA were of less than 1cm thick but Mirai's eyes were like fullbody Volks eyes. No hollow inside and big enough for easy use.

14558227154_047f4529eb_b.jpg

My blog Pihlajakoto

yokha

Really informative, and she looks lovely, Wow I love how her body looks, that ribs really sexy, and the large boobie looks natural as well, will wait for DD smart doll comparison.

Talolili

Thanks, Baldylox. This is very useful for those interested in purchasing a smart doll or just genuinely curious.

I really like the way the busts are sculpted and Mirai has the sweetest face.

baldylox
Really informative, and she looks lovely, Wow I love how her body looks, that ribs really sexy, and the large boobie looks natural as well, will wait for DD smart doll comparison.

Thanks! She does have a nice look to her body, the overall style is well done.

^^ Thank you for sharing this information~ I'm also looking forward to your next comparison post.

You're welcome! I should be able to get that comparison done within a week or so.

Very informative billy, thanks so much for taking the time to share ♡ I Hope to get a Kizuna so this helps in future cost planning ^-^

No problem! My GF really wants a Kizuna too so we're already trying to figure out saving up for her. I hope you can get yours when she first comes out!

Fascinating read just to learn more about Mirai. I know a lot of people have been waiting for a proper comparison like this! And seeing a doll topless is nothing new to me, but there's something so realistic about the way Mirai's bust is shaped that I feel a little wrong looking at it O_O'

That's why I did this post, to help people see what she's like and how she compares to DD's. Glad you liked it! And I agree that both busts have a very "organic" look to them.... more natural in size and shape than some like the DDdy ones. But don't feel wrong looking at her boobs, they're just a part of her charm!

Very nice and informative post I would love to see comparison shots between DDdy, DD3 and Mirai. I have a feeling Mirai is somewhere between DD3 and DDdy.

Thank you! I had planned on doing a comparison between the DD3 ( since it's now the Volks standard body ), the DDdy and Mirai so you'll be covered!

Pity that I have carved the holes of old DD hands bigger, but will try what bluetack says about holding them in place for Mirai. As for the little magnets for Mirai's hand word Neodymium springs into mind. BJD people use Neodymium magnets a lot so I ordered bunch of them too. They're really small compared to the power the magnet has.

Ah well, the bluetack should hold the DD hands in place well enuff tho. As for the Neodymium magnets, those will work well for her too!

Btw, changing eyes on Mirai is fantastically easy Bluetack is so much easier to remove than hotglue. I've been using bluetack myself too, but about 1/3 of the amount Mirai had inside of her head ^^; Didn't take picture of Mirai's eyes after I changed them but they are wonderful resin eyes that have body! Some Resin eyes I've bought from YJA were of less than 1cm thick but Mirai's eyes were like fullbody Volks eyes. No hollow inside and big enough for easy use.

Oh yes, I absolutely HATE hot glue on eyes! Drives me nuts! I always use a similar putty for my girls eyes, it's gray instead of blue tho. And I love the eyes Mirai comes with so I won't be changing them out. But that pic you shared with the blue eyed one is beautiful! I really like her with those eyes and wig.

Thanks, Baldylox. This is very useful for those interested in purchasing a smart doll or just genuinely curious. I really like the way the busts are sculpted and Mirai has the sweetest face.

You're welcome! I agree that the busts look really good. They have a more natural style to them for sure. I may get the M-bust in the future just to have another size to put her in if I decide to change her style some.

Billy

chun

Nice review billy!

I'm liking how we might be able to use some volks hands! I haven't tried swapping out the hands yet haha

^o^

MacaronTea

Thanks so very much Billy for the review! It may seem odd to ask, but will a DD head fit this new body's neck peg?

She has such a sweet face, I'm rather kicking myself for missing her first pre order. Thank goodness you've shared lots of photos to tide me over. Heh. I can't get over how nice her body proportions are! Especially the chest and waist shape. Totally have to keep an eye out now for more photo goodness.

Visit my Etsy shop

DDcom-Banner.jpg

Doll Blog ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

baldylox
By the way, somebody also has posted comparison photo of DD3 and Mirai both in large bust:

and in flickr, somebody also posted a clear photo and a comparison of Mirai body with DDS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whileimautomaton/sets/72157645349607851/with/14482849286/

I love how Mirai body is more natural than DD especially around the waist

Thanks for the links! The photos on Flickr are exactly what I had planned for my review.... but I'll be using the DD3 and DDdy bodies instead of the DDS. I'll also do other comparison stuff not shown in those pics that should help people understand stuff a little better about Mirai.

Nice review Billy! I'm liking how we might be able to use some volks hands! I haven't tried swapping out the hands yet haha ^o^

Thank you Chun! As soon as I got Mirai and saw how her hands mounted, the thought of using DD hands popped in my head. I'm glad you can now try some new hands with your Mirai!

Thanks so very much Billy for the review! It may seem odd to ask, but will a DD head fit this new body's neck peg?

You're very welcome! I'm told by Danny and Chun that you *can* use a DD head on this body but you have to add either putty or tape to the neck peg on Mirai in order to make the peg large enuff to accept the larger holes in the DD heads. I'll make sure to add this to the upcoming comparison post I do on Mirai and a DD3/DDdy body.

She has such a sweet face, I'm rather kicking myself for missing her first pre order. Thank goodness you've shared lots of photos to tide me over. Heh. I can't get over how nice her body proportions are! Especially the chest and waist shape. Totally have to keep an eye out now for more photo goodness.

She's VERY cute! Pics don't do her full justice either, in person she's just adorable. I hope to have more pics of her soon for you to enjoy! Work's been busy for me this week but this coming weekend I hope to get more cute photos of her to share. And I agree with you about her proportions, they look really nice overall. Her arms are a bit longer than I'm used to tho so that takes some getting used to. But you'll see that in the comparison post I'm doing soon.

Billy

macloud

While i must agree with everyone that she does look ADORABLE, there's still one thing about her design that gives me concern, and that's the this circled section:

miariframe_zpsb5c889f2.jpg

Its the peg connecting the thigh to the knee joints - i cant help but feel that this is seems like a disaster waiting to happen, with the peg breaking off inside of the thigh socket. As the newest adoptee of one could you could tell me if my fears are founded or am i worrying about nothing?

[sticks two danishes on his head]

Help me Baldylox Kenobi, your my only hope

Eustia

Having just put together the legs of my new girl (well, still in assembly) I have to say they look no more fragile than the DDIII knees. Danny has said he put a lot of time and effort in to designing the frame, so I imagine the "weak points" of such joints has been well tested and enhanced.

baldylox

Macloud, I've seen pics of that before but I haven't taken mine apart to inspect those joints personally. But in posing Mirai and bending her legs around a bit, they feel pretty sturdy. I'm not 100% sure on how long those joints will hold up on Mirai but I don't think they'll be an issue.

Billy

macloud

Much appreciated Billy - i still don't feel too sure about them though but if your happy about them on yours then that's all that matters.

...can i take these danishes off my head now?

baldylox
Much appreciated Billy - i still don't feel too sure about them though but if your happy about them on yours then that's all that matters.

...can i take these danishes off my head now?

Pretty much anything I've done with Mirai so far has been easy to do and hasn't felt "off" in any way. All her joints feel tight and sturdy. I'm hoping nothing happens to the ones you've pointed out but they're plastic and in the end, plastic can break. At least I can get replacement parts for her in the future if something does happen.

And yes, please take off the danishes, you're attracting flies and Wookies.

Billy

WoundedNight64

Hey there, have you tried any different clothes on Mirai? How did they fit? Particularly volks clothes.

Thanks,

At home; DDH-07 'Medea',

Saving for; A body and Saber Lily ^_^

Waiting for:

baldylox
Hey there, have you tried any different clothes on Mirai? How did they fit? Particularly volks clothes.

Thanks,

Actually, the outfit she has on at the end of the post is a Volks outfit. It's from the Marine collection from back in 2010. Everything fits her very well except the shorts. Her hips aren't quite as wide as a DD so the shorts fit a tad loose around her hips. But they don't fall off or anything.

I plan to try other outfits on her soon but it won't be for a little bit because she has photo stories to do as well as making appearances at doll meets.... gotta have her in default for her admirers and fans! But I'll take pics of her in various Volks outfits soon!

Billy

WoundedNight64

Thanks,

Actually, the outfit she has on at the end of the post is a Volks outfit. It's from the Marine collection from back in 2010. Everything fits her very well except the shorts. Her hips aren't quite as wide as a DD so the shorts fit a tad loose around her hips. But they don't fall off or anything.

I plan to try other outfits on her soon but it won't be for a little bit because she has photo stories to do as well as making appearances at doll meets.... gotta have her in default for her admirers and fans! But I'll take pics of her in various Volks outfits soon!

Billy

Thanks! Hopefully I can start planning for my own littleMirai-chan!

At home; DDH-07 'Medea',

Saving for; A body and Saber Lily ^_^

Waiting for: