Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

belpita

Injection vs vinyl

K-2
Wonder what licenses he has/is courting, though?

Think superheros.

MVSig.jpg

Poofiemus
Wonder what licenses he has/is courting, though?

Think superheros.

Which would likely be Marvel ones then, since he's buddy-buddy with GSC, and GSC has already licensed quite a few Marvel characters.

I know it's a long shot, but out of the whole Marvel pantheon, the only one I really want is Squirrel Girl.

I also have to wonder if Overwatch is on the table, given the above GSC networking connection. I don't know beans about Overwatch though, so for any of those it would entirely be sculpt dependent.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

baldylox

Licensing is a lot different in Japan.... Danny talked to us about it when we visited him. I'm not allowed to say what he's doing exactly but since someone else brought up a company he works with a lot ( Good Smile Co. ) then I think it's ok to share another company he works closely with.

Kotobukiya.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Poofiemus
Licensing is a lot different in Japan.... Danny talked to us about it when we visited him. I'm not allowed to say what he's doing exactly but since someone else brought up a company he works with a lot ( Good Smile Co. ) then I think it's ok to share another company he works closely with.

Kotobukiya.

Billy

Oh snap. Smart Doll x Marvel/DC Bishojou? That. . . makes a LOT of sense for both companies to do. So much sense I'd be kind of surprised if this wasn't at least discussed between them at some point.

Suddenly the injection molded doll thing got significantly less baffling with that possibility on the table. I'm. . . still probably not considered the target market for most of the characters that could come out of that partnership, with the aforementioned exception of Squirrel Girl (and even then, I'd honestly probably fork out extra for a separate vinyl body to put her on). Still, should be pretty interesting to see what comes out of this.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Kalle

KAMALA KHAN SMART DOLL???

(probably not, but dang it, I can dream)

LAOiCdW.gif

Kumi
I think it's ok to share another company he works closely with.

Kotobukiya.

Not very surprising since Danny announced Gourai months ago, and the whole Frame Arms Girl line is a Kotobukiya product

I already said that Kotobukiya is probably the mentioned "leading plastic model maker" and the production facility for plastic SmDs.

sinclair

I was going to say Danny has mentioned Frame Arms Girls in the past (I was going to shorten that, but it comes out as a rather unsavory term.). I just might end up with my 1st SmD if he does a good Stylet.

Shailara

I thought about this for quite a while somehow ahaha... my opinion is that... while I love vinyl to bits and pieces, if injection type is half the price of vinyl, I'd be hella interested... it would save so much money to be spent on clothes and wigs... but if it's close to the price of kits and above, I don't see the point...

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

magique

If it lowers the price like by half or something, I'd be okay with a drop in quality, I think. If it's only like $100 off though, then no, that's lame, lol.

medalis

My hope for this line is that it's of reasonable enough price that I can buy one for my sewing modeling, thus allowing for me to not have to undress poor Mirai every day when I get the urge to work on a project. Also, not as prone to random stains for mock ups made from scrap fabric!

Not that I probably wouldn't get attached anyway, and give them names and nice wigs and stuff. But whoops, that kinda stuff happens. Oh well!

Amara77

I would kill for the Marvel shoujo girls

My biggest hope would be that Kotobukiya could help Danny with the sculpting.

He's improving but it can't hurt to have extra help!

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

belpita

There was a new photo on FB the other day.

I can't say this makes me more convinced. If anything, it turns me off even more. But I shall wait to pass judgement until we know exactly what these new models will look like.

19554966_10154675759391680_5071699749822501035_n.jpg?oh=5f82c91c021fb95a4cb4a2c758c4c745&oe=59C383C2

Daisy-chan
There was a new photo on FB the other day.

I can't say this makes me more convinced. If anything, it turns me off even more. But I shall wait to pass judgement until we know exactly what these new models will look like.

19554966_10154675759391680_5071699749822501035_n.jpg?oh=5f82c91c021fb95a4cb4a2c758c4c745&oe=59C383C2

Is that an injection mold bust I see among those parts? I don't know why, but I thought the busts would still be vinyl. I mean, what's the point without nice squishy breasts

I think I see head parts among those too...

Hopefully some injection parts would be interchangeable with vinyl. I liked the idea of cheaper dolls that didn't stain as easily, as long as the head and bust was still vinyl. I'm not sure how I'd feel if those were hard plastic...

belpita

It's also really strange how the bust part seems to be in two.

Kumi

For injection molded plastic parts this is nothing strange, it's standard.

Every part must be made in such way, that it can be removed from the mold, without much force, and every mold has at least 2 parts (halves). In most cases the parts just fall off from the mold after injection and opening the mold.

You cannot make anything hollow as one part, because then You could't remove the mold from inside, and the whole SmD exterior is hollow. So there isn't any other way (except 3D printing).

With vinyl it's different, because it's soft and elastic (especially when hot),the molds are different (one piece, cover the whole part), and vinyl only hardens in contact with the mold so it's always hollow inside.

And the makers literally pull the parts from the molds by force.

Mysha
Hopefully some injection parts would be interchangeable with vinyl.

1205464682_Zrzutekranuz2017-07-0222-07-29.png.b1a073b1abdd533285dfc9c42580512e.png

37542208752_7cbdd8660f.jpg

- Kizuna [smart Doll] - Isabelle [saber Extra + Obitsu60] - Maya [DDS DDH-06] - Angelica [DD Sakuya] - Kitty [MDD Mariko] - Moonlight [smart Doll] - Emily [DD Miku] -

https://annasangels.capsel.org/

Daisy-chan
Hopefully some injection parts would be interchangeable with vinyl.

[attachment=0]Zrzut ekranu z 2017-07-02 22-07-29.png[/attachment]

Thank you for asking Danny about that! It's nice to know that you could switch out busts and hands for their vinyl counterparts. I guess this also means that you can switch out for Peach Pai and other silicon busts for SmD too.

SakuraRose

For some reason I thought the heads would still be vinyl. Wouldn't it make changing wigs and eyes more difficult, or is it just like resin (don't own resin anyway lol)? Danny also said they will have the same softness...whaaat?

I hope we could buy things in parts in the future, like vinyl heads and busts with the injection body. But then CJ would lose out on potential profit.

Is there any final picture of how it looks with the seam lines sanded down...?

I don't think there's pics yet since they're still in the testing stage, as far as I know.

Shailara

Considering the way they are made, I don't think the seams -can- be sanded down, because it's just two parts put together and held together by pegs (think of how the headcap fits on the head and there's the line between the headcap and head).

As for changing eyes and wigs, there is no difference. I have resin dolls and ABS dolls (hard plastics), nothing changes. I honestly wouldn't mind a hard plastic DD, I mean, the vinyl boobs aren't peach pai- squeeshy, so there's not much difference there. XD

I'm also looking forward to final pictures and also want to know if he'll offer tan options, cause so far I think we've seen Peach and White skins...?

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Bellatrix
Considering the way they are made, I don't think the seams -can- be sanded down, because it's just two parts put together and held together by pegs (think of how the headcap fits on the head and there's the line between the headcap and head).

As for changing eyes and wigs, there is no difference. I have resin dolls and ABS dolls (hard plastics), nothing changes. I honestly wouldn't mind a hard plastic DD, I mean, the vinyl boobs aren't peach pai- squeeshy, so there's not much difference there. XD

I'm also looking forward to final pictures and also want to know if he'll offer tan options, cause so far I think we've seen Peach and White skins...?

Isn't there any chance for the parts to open randomly, if they are made that way???

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Kumi
the plamo version is same softness though

Well, it seems that it won't be ABS. I know that Smd are not that squishy (as DD at least) but it still isn't rigid material.

Interesting

Isn't there any chance for the parts to open randomly, if they are made that way???

I think no more than randomly opening LEGOs, ie. not really

Monty

The smaller obitsu bodies are like that (at least the 11cm one is) and that doesn't happen. Actually, it's a real pain to open it at all...you have to jam a blade in there to ever get those pieces apart. I thought I'd never be able to do it and was scared I'd break it the whole time. So I don't think that would be too much an issue.

I noticed he was calling it a kit. Does that mean it's going to be sold unassembled? I imagine it'd be easier to assemble than the vinyl version (especially feet). I'm also certain he's aiming this at the model kit crowd as well as people who dont want to spend $6-700 on a doll.

Edited by Guest

Monty

I doubt it. He's not aiming them at people who like vinyl dolls. His entire selling strategy is targeting untapped markets. I imagine that for the most part, if someone was satisfied with this as opposed to the vinyl version, they wouldn't have been going to buy the vinyl version in the first place. Therefore he gets a sale out of someone who wouldn't have bought a doll from him otherwise.

But that's just my opinion.