Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

belpita

Injection vs vinyl

Hoshiko_Blue

This is true, I was thinking more about the approach he'll use towards the release. I mean, maybe he will release two/three girls to see how they sell and then, if the results are promising, he'll add the others or maybe he'll start with the whole line up at once.

I guess we'll see

Kumi

Well, the molds for all the body parts are already made. The Cortexes have to sell to cover the cost - the more the better. I'd expect all the heads in the product line (but maybe some combinations of color/faceup for preorder only, to keep the stock low) and a good price.

At least I hope so

magique

I'd be very happy if he released more dolls than just Mirai. But I feel like he'll probably start out slow?? Idk. If I'm wrong I'll be happy.

Hoshiko_Blue

Well guys, I don't know about you but I can't wait for more info

Danny mentioned a while ago that the injection molded version was meant to be used for the licensed characters, can you think about the possibilities here? *-*

Ahhhhh I'm so hyped *-*

Kumi

I don't think it should start slow. Injection molding is "by nature" meant to be mass produced at a low cost per unit.

I think the soft outer shell of a SmD/DD/similar doll is a major cost factor and very time-consuming.

Production is complicated (watch the videos) and done mostly "by hand" - one need to pour the vinyl, place it in the oven, then pull the still hot part from the mold. Then someone else have to trim the excess vinyl by hand. Manual labor is slow and expensive.

On the other hand, parts from machined metal injection molds are almost "ready to use" directly from the mold (watch the Frame Arms Girl ), the production is much faster and the injection is mostly automated.

Cut it from the gate (afaik that's the name) in 1-2 points, snap 2 parts together over the doll frame, done.

cirquemom

I'm also wondering if he will just sell them as fullsets, and not the base doll.

Hoshiko_Blue
I'm also wondering if he will just sell them as fullsets, and not the base doll.

Gosh, I kinda hope he will sell the base dolls because they'be even cheaper

Maybe he will sell the sport bra and shorts set alongside the complete apparel set like with the vinyl version.

Requiem Art Designs

I'm really looking forward to these! I got one of the Hujoo injection molded dolls and while it looked low quality out of the box, once I sanded it all over to get rid of shine & seams it looked very nice so I assume this will too, if Danny doesn't have all that done in production.

It's also handy to have a more rigid body to use as a dressing mannequin, where I don't need to worry about pins going through the vinyl or whatever. Easier to clean, harder to stain.

I don't think as a doll I'd like it better than a vinyl version, but it will be very handy to have one around.

Hoshiko_Blue
I'm really looking forward to these! I got one of the Hujoo injection molded dolls and while it looked low quality out of the box, once I sanded it all over to get rid of shine & seams it looked very nice so I assume this will too, if Danny doesn't have all that done in production.

Given how much Danny cares about Smart Dolls' overall appearence I don't think the process you went through will be necessary, plus in the pictures he posted on instagram the finish looks matte, which is awesome

cirquemom

It's also handy to have a more rigid body to use as a dressing mannequin, where I don't need to worry about pins going through the vinyl or whatever. Easier to clean, harder to stain.

I don't think as a doll I'd like it better than a vinyl version, but it will be very handy to have one around.

Yes, agree with Hoshiko Blue, I imagine Danny's product will be a big higher quality than Hujoo, but as you said, once you sand Hujoos and do face-ups they can look pretty good. Also to cut down shine after you sand if you give it a spray of MSC- that will also cut that shine down to a matt finish.

Would be super handy to have one as a fitting model- even better if Danny would just sell a torso on a stand for people who sew.

Requiem Art Designs

Would be super handy to have one as a fitting model- even better if Danny would just sell a torso on a stand for people who sew.

So much yes. In the meantime I was talking to a person who works with western fashion dolls and he was telling me how he makes trash bag/duct tape molds of his dolls to send off when he gets custom outfits made and I was like "That works on dolls?!" and I guess it does. I thought it would be too bulky, but he's gotten good results on dolls as small as 16". Look up "Trash bag dress form tutorial" if you want to try it. It's on my to-do list, but haven't gotten there yet!

cfx

I've seen someone's doll clothes making tutorials on Youtube that wrap their doll with cling wrap in a few layers and then tape over that, which I guess is the same idea. When I stumbled onto this I'd never seen the idea before.

kct

Here's my two cents on this.

Besides the cost savings of going with injection molding, this could also tap into another market: plastic model builders. Among these are the people who's more willing to put time (and money) into the finish of the model as opposed to the price of the kit itself, and given the size of the plastic model building scene in Japan (and certain parts of Asia, in the least), there's some potential to increase presence on that front. There are doll collectors who also happened to build plastic models (and vice versa).

Issues like seam lines are incredibly normal for them, there's plenty of seam line removal tutorials floating around the Internet. It is willingness to work around these issues that serves as part of the challenge in building these kits, and most of the investment would go into the materials needed to finish the kit (airbrush, paints, filler and so on).

Quality of material is of course an obvious challenge, at any rate it looks like he does have Kotobukiya to refer to when it comes to that department. Of course, the biggest yardstick(s) when it comes to quality of material used in the molding would be some of the biggest Japanese plastic model manufacturers like Tamiya (vehicles) and Bandai (Gundams). The real question is if Danny could go toe to toe with them.

Kumi
it looks like he does have Kotobukiya to refer to when it comes to that department.

Injection molded SmDs most likely will be produced by Kotobukiya, in their factory.

So it's not Danny vs Tamiya, but Kotobukiya vs Tamiya.

Afaik Danny doesn't have own production facilities.

magique

I really thought he'd do Mirai first, haha. Is that the sana mold? I really want one.

Zaliayn
I really thought he'd do Mirai first, haha. Is that the sana mold? I really want one.

I'm pretty sure that's the Mirai mold, although I've got to admit that sometimes the faceups throw me off!

She's cute, and I really wouldn't have guessed that she was injection molded from looking at her. And do I spy new design green eyes? Very nice.

magique

Hmmm, the dip in the lips isn't in the Mirai sculpt. Look at Sana's mouth for comparison.

Zaliayn

I figured the dip in the lips was down to the way they had been shaded on the faceup. Also, this girl looks to have a small, narrow mouth where as the Sana sculpt seems to have a much wider smile when you look at the distance from the corners of the mouth to the base of the nose.

I think it would be much easier to tell which sculpt she's using if she was facing directly forwards.

freakie-oppa

Pretty sure that's Mirai. The distance and shape of her eyes is exact. Sana's cheeks are fuller, and her face seems to sit a little lower. I think the mold is best scene when she was disassembled. I don't think Danny is gonna make any other line of dolls without Mirai first, she is his favorite, and the company mascot, after all.

Hoshiko_Blue

Soooooo excited

The model looks sooooo good, he also posted the pic on instagram with more technical details in the description. Here's the link:

kct
Injection molded SmDs most likely will be produced by Kotobukiya, in their factory.

Kotobukiya would be very hmmm.

I can't wait to see how big the box would be, would it be enough to surpass Metal Gear?

Requiem Art Designs

EEEE!

But I've been following Danny enough that when he says things like "not anytime soon" or "coming soon" I... have no idea what that means. I think the make your kits were coming soon a year ago

cirquemom

I love the new green eyes and I hope he sells them on the website. I'd like to replace my Ebony's with these. Plus, I'd love to see green eyes in Infinity.