Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

belpita

Injection vs vinyl

Hoshiko_Blue
EEEE!

But I've been following Danny enough that when he says things like "not anytime soon" or "coming soon" I... have no idea what that means. I think the make your kits were coming soon a year ago

So true

I was pretty disappointed that he teased the diy kits so much and then he never released them and I really hope this won't be the case, but deep down I fear we'll be let down again.

K-2

Another thing to consider, if this injection mold project goes well it may lead to actual production of Pocket Doll.

MVSig.jpg

baldylox

I want him to make the Mannequin out of ABS so I can actually afford it. It would be so cool to have that big of a doll in the house if for nothing other than a conversation piece. But her being vinyl is gonna make her way more expensive than I want to dish out.

And K-2 might be onto something with the Pocket Doll idea. I know a lot of people who want one of those things....

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Kumi
EEEE!

But I've been following Danny enough that when he says things like "not anytime soon" or "coming soon" I... have no idea what that means. I think the make your kits were coming soon a year ago

So true

I was pretty disappointed that he teased the diy kits so much and then he never released them and I really hope this won't be the case, but deep down I fear we'll be let down again.

But last time it was supposed to be a vinyl DIY kit?

In the end, it is available - but only in store as a workshop... so yeah, a bit disappointing.

senyac

The vinyl DIY kits have also been available in limited numbers at some events that Danny attends around the world , I have seen a few people post about it on FB , Danny has said the reason for the delay of the DIY kit on the website is because he is making a DIY manual to make sure people who buy them online know how to put them together , so they are still coming but when is any ones guess .

I am Hoping the Injection molded version also comes in a DIY kit but he has not said anything about that also read on Twitter someone mentioned to Danny that there is a rumour that the Injection molded doll would be 30000 yen and Danny replied "it is " .not sure if that's the sport bar set or sports bar & apparel set.

kct

The DIY kits showed up at a recent local convention (Comic Fiesta 2017) for around 1,500 MYR (42k yen/380 USD due to weak exchange rates), and I have no idea where he held the workshop for that one.

Based on the current exchange rates, the so-called 30k yen for injection molded version would come at around 1,070 MYR (and 270 USD). That does not really sound much cheaper, but compared to the SmD sets being sold at a local Isetan which goes for 2,500 MYR, it was a pretty huge cut. I expect the price to go a little up if he opts to make it available at the same local Isetan, then again Malaysia is quite an important market for him in a symbolic manner.

Hoshiko_Blue

30K Yen would be around 225/230 € if the exchange rate is good, which is a bit more than what I was expecting but is still half the price of a fullset vinyl SmD, so that's cool

Regarding the Diy kits, I meant that I was disappointed because he talked about an international release and then he postponed it twice, so yeah... I know they had been sold in special occasions, but I was kinda sad anyway...

Also, it would be soooooo great to have the pocket dolls made in whatever plastic he's using

They would be in Barbie size but cuter and also a hella lot cheaper than the 1/3 size, maybe in the same price range of pure neemos and such I imagine... They would be so perfect to make dioramas for

sinclair
I want him to make the Mannequin out of ABS so I can actually afford it. It would be so cool to have that big of a doll in the house if for nothing other than a conversation piece. But her being vinyl is gonna make her way more expensive than I want to dish out.

I'm conflicted on this one. I'd love to have a girl this sized (Think, you might even be able to buy her clothes from Target!), but I think I'd rather have her out of vinyl as she'd be more huggable that way. But like you pointed out, then the cost will be extreme, which would make plastic a better option, but she wouldn't as fun to hug.

As for pocket dolls, those would be Barbie sized, or smaller? I've heard whispers of them, but don't really know anything about them. That size could be fun.

twinage
also read on Twitter someone mentioned to Danny that there is a rumour that the Injection molded doll would be 30000 yen and Danny replied "it is " .not sure if that's the sport bar set or sports bar & apparel set.

If this injection ver. is below usd 200, will definitely adopt one

But if the difference isn't that big with diy vinyl kit, I rather chose the diy kit, considering the seamline, etc.

Imo, its weird though the price is a bit for something that can be produced like 10x more than vinyl a month. Like Danny should think lower price, bigger sale volume for the injection compared to the vinyl sale method which is higher price, smaller sale volume.

But then I don't know how expensive this 'softer' plastic material with anti-stain so maybe that what's make the price 30000 yen? Its kinda worth the price though if the injection kit come with wig, eyes, underwear, shirts and pants set.

Still, I'm hoping they make it more cheaper like 20000 yen-ish or even lower, since after all we build it by ourself like gundam or tamiya kit, all Danny staff need to do is just quality check and packaging. More simpler than the vinyl diy kit, where they still have to do more stuff (cutting the vinyl edge, etc.)

Or even best, there is nude option without clothes and no faceup to justify the low price ~

Kumi

Well, to me the answer "it is" might as well mean just "yes, there is such rumour" but it desn't mean it's the truth. Hope so

Panda_Dolliess

One on hand, taking into account the price of everything in the SmD brand, the SmD Cortext being priced at about $270 is a great deal. But on the other hand, I think it is safe to assume that we will be putting the cortext together ourselves and $270 is a bit high. I think for manual assembly, $200 should be the max. Also, what are the possibilities that the Cortex kits are going to come with blank face ups? I'm honestly surprised that Danny hasn't sold blank heads head. Face customizing is a HUGE part of this hobby.

senyac
Well, to me the answer "it is" might as well mean just "yes, there is such rumour" but it desn't mean it's the truth. Hope so

I never thought of it that way lol

senyac

I think the 30000 yen cost would be for a completed cortex with face up ,eyes .wig and some clothing .

He has not stated if a kit version will be released or not

Kumi
I'm honestly surprised that Danny hasn't sold blank heads head. Face customizing is a HUGE part of this hobby.

Again - he did, but not quite (just like with the DIY kit...)

IIRC some time ago there was a possibility to order a blank Mirai type head when purchasing SmD female body.

But now the option is gone.

Yumeiro

Blank heads are often offered in the discount section in the physical store. Sure, they are there due to some sort of flaw. They sellout quickly, so I guess putting heads online at this point (where smartdolls are getting more and more popular/known?) it would be hard to meet demand.

But I get the feeling he does not want much customization of his dolls...

senyac

I got a blank head and body when they are for sale online , but I have yet got around to making a custom doll out if it

Hoshiko_Blue

So, Danny posted this picture of a vinyl and a cortex Melody asking which one was which model and is it just me or the Melody on the right has a differend head shape?

It looks shorter, especially if you look at the distance between the eyes and the cheeks.

Maybe it's just the camera angle, be I'm kinda baffled :/

(Also, I'll learn how to link the image directly , I promise )

cfx

The whole head looks smaller, but it could all be an optical illusion. The more visible cheek blush on the one could have an effect, and I think the wig is on further or further forward too.

The size could be slightly different. If the vinyl shrinks as it cools after being made (I don't know if it does or not BTW), the injection mold version likely does not. Whether that is accounted for or not it's probably an imprecise science.

Hoshiko_Blue

You definitely have a point. Maybe the shape is a little different because the Cortex doesn't have an head cap, but a faceplate kinda thing, so perhaps this changes something.

Or maybe it is just a very bad picture

Shailara

I'm going to say, the one with the jeans is the vinyl cause he probably had her already dressed to pose for the SmD protective stocking XD

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Youpla

wow it's impressive...

Left for the vinyl for me too, but honestly I'm not sure x)

Hoshiko_Blue

Yeah, left for me too, for the clothes she's wearing though.

If they had been both naked or with the same outfit I wouldn't have been able to tell honestly, which is quite impressive.

(Edited because my phone doesn't know the difference between they and the)

NeeP

I wish that Danny wouldn't hide the seam-lines with his creative dolly posing. I want to see them...

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

Shailara
I wish that Danny wouldn't hide the seam-lines with his creative dolly posing. I want to see them...

I imagine he will show them eventually, but he was trying to "prove a point" with this post... ? Hopefully... I also want to see how the parting lines will look, not that it will bother me if they're too obvious.

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)