The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Monty

D'Coord Exclusives (DDH11/ DDH15 / DDH18 )

Gunter

I actually am starting to really like this head, which is funny cause it isn't exactly the kinda head I'd generally like.

And maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm just so, so, so used to the words "Volks" and "Exclusive" going hand-in-hand that these days I just have no real reaction to things being hard to get, or exclusive in one way or another. Do I think it is right? Not always (Sometimes I just don't care). But does it surprise me? Nope. Just seems like...that's just how it is? ^^;

Mimiyo3

I'm not saying it isn't the norm, it kinda is at this point. And tbh I have concerns that volks could even move more towards exclusive only in the future? Time will tell but I wouldn't be surprised to see that.

Just... Disappointed. Is how I feel about it. I really hope they open things up a bit more once they get a break in rolling out new stuff. Like, I get testing demand with a more limited market but it seems like they just toe dip too much.

Present!

Miku, Aria, Celia, Melody, Aveline, Rin T, Ted, Chi, Yumi, Melanie, Rin K, Len, Ea, Alter, Illya, Rachel, Aelia, Matt, Jace, & E.N.O.

W.I.P.

Rose, Tara

Waiting

Hannah, Lucy, Sonya.

Neemos: Yuki & Mimi

Resins: Mizuumi & Aiko

Gunter

Just... Disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I get that way too. It is just like a second of disappointment and then I just prepare to wait for them to show up everywhere or go hunting. Which if I keep liking this head that'll happen. XD

It's funny. I feel like since we've gotten more things that we wanted (our own ver. of FCS, tan skin, and DD Boy) we've actually lost a influx of actual standard items. Wonder if they've just really stretched their resources thin and so that's just how things are now? :< I dunno, just a thought.

Monty

You gotta remember a lot of it is due to the increased efforts to make Doll Point a super special DD Mecca, so having super special things you can only get there makes sense. It's like build a bear and American girl...I assume, because I don't know much about those other than the fact that they have stores in the US and the latter is particularly 'fancy' (at least, I hear it has a cafe/restaurant and there are AGs you can only get there, which begs the question if somewhere in Japan (or anywhere else, really)there is a group of people lamenting about how exclusive the AG company is lmao)

This is also because, recently, Tenshi no Sato (the SD headquarters/Mecca in Kyoto) stopped allowing DDs on the premises anywhere other than the bookable private photo rooms. (My chat group here says it's because too many horny guys were taking too many horny photos of DDs, in this place where it is 100% not appropriate. Note: I have no clue if this is true and I'm not saying it is or isn't, but whether it is or not the exclusion of DDs definitely plays a part in these efforts at making the DD version of Tenshi no Sato in Akihabara. It's hard to think of a good solution to this because it defeats the purpose of special store items - the only one that makes sense is to open stores overseas, which I can't really see happening outside the US due to market sizes. (Although another alternative could be online events where some of these items are available for a limited time, or even by lottery)

To be honest I kind of see DDH11 as a commemoration release for the new Doll Point. I imagine they'll will do more with her later but she's barely been around two months yet.

I agree that 8 and 9 should be standard by now...especially because they randomly made 10 standard (or was that only for a limited time?? There's still a few heads in the Fu kuoka store at least)

Mimiyo3

10 is still up on USA and international so yeah that went straight to standard. I get that they're trying to do this but the idea of that level of exclusivity to the point where you're basically screwed if you want these things but don't live there just rubs me the wrong way. Even more so that with the 08 and 09 situation I'm not entirely sure some things will ever become standard. It's too early to know for sure but the prospect of that is concerning to me honestly. I do hope things like tan skin and male bodies will become standard at least...

Present!

Miku, Aria, Celia, Melody, Aveline, Rin T, Ted, Chi, Yumi, Melanie, Rin K, Len, Ea, Alter, Illya, Rachel, Aelia, Matt, Jace, & E.N.O.

W.I.P.

Rose, Tara

Waiting

Hannah, Lucy, Sonya.

JChiibs

From first hand experience with the American Girls, there are similarities, but there are differences. Sure the AG stores have a few specialty items, however that is a very small percentage of what they offer. They have the Girl of the Year which is the most limited thing and her set of stuff, but it is fully available to anyone buying withing that year. They do discontinue and retire things but that's often after about four years. They don't make thing exclusive by limiting runs. And they entirely understand how important customizing the AG are and making them personal. It's one of their big selling points.

If AG/Mattel tried to pull the exclusivity stuff that Volks does, Americans would get pissed. (And I don't mean drunk.) American business seems to have the exact opposite mentality than Japan does in this area. After 5+ years being in the DD hobby, it is something I still can't get used to.

I'm not in this for Volk's benefit. They (unfortunately) just have the most appealing look for what I want. If I could get the same cuteness and pleasing ascetic bodies from Obitsu, I'd do it in a heartbeat. They have been such an utterly good company to me. Lucas would not be who he is without their generosity and allowing me to buy his bust that was no longer listed on the English site. I'm in this for my Kiddos and to make them right and happy. So the feeling that 85% of Volks' stuff is severely limited just guts me.

I'm a customizer. I could give a running flying leap for the 'full package' girls that Volks sells. Even my Preorder girls, only one of them is staying as factory because it was one of the shocking instances that she was already the way I needed her to be. Another one of the girls who will have to be a floating head is getting her faceup wiped, and the other needs some changes. Truthfully though, I wish I could have waited on them. Sure I was thrilled to be able to preorder them on my birthday last year, but I felt compelled to do it because I'd be punching myself later when they would be super hard to get and much, much more expensive. But it makes other projects that have already been started needing to be pushed back another year or two.

And I'm still cursing over missing the chance for Rin Tohsaka, who has been my grail for well over 2-3 years now. She is perfect for an OC I never intended to make, but her friends are dragging her over. [Alister, Azalea, Lillian, Rene, Pierce, Viktoria, and I wish I knew how to do their ghost friend Sadie.] Even her friggin' hair is perfect for a more realistic version of her cartoon hair.

Much of Volks' exclusivity is the reason why I've lost so much excitement in the hobby. They are the worst tease and my heart is getting worn out. It make me feel like I can't trust anything they say (announcements, etc.) because I already know that I can't have it when I see it.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Lore
10 is still up on USA and international so yeah that went straight to standard. I get that they're trying to do this but the idea of that level of exclusivity to the point where you're basically screwed if you want these things but don't live there just rubs me the wrong way. Even more so that with the 08 and 09 situation I'm not entirely sure some things will ever become standard. It's too early to know for sure but the prospect of that is concerning to me honestly. I do hope things like tan skin and male bodies will become standard at least...

I agree with this! ^ ^

I would buy that 11 head in a heart beat if they allowed the USA Volks site to sell it. I know I'm not the only one that would too.

When Volks has items readily available in the Doll Points stores that scalpers take full advantage of, Volks loses out on the international market base big time. Financially it makes no sense. I'm sure there are license agreements made where they can't branch out of course, but I still hold out hope they'll ditch this. It's gotten to the point where they hurt their own USA branch then wonder why it doesn't do as well. MAKE ALL THE THINGS AVAILABLE! *raises fist in the air*

Sidenote: Danny Choo is now the first to post about making high heel feet for his SmartDoll. He's doing things we all wish Volks would do and he's beating them to the punch. I'm hoping this lights a fire under their butts to get with the program.

At Home:

DD Snow Miku, DD Luka, DDS Makoto, DD Airy, DDS KizunaAI

Lore

Much of Volks' exclusivity is the reason why I've lost so much excitement in the hobby. They are the worst tease and my heart is getting worn out. It make me feel like I can't trust anything they say (announcements, etc.) because I already know that I can't have it when I see it.

~Sister Kyoya

Yes so much THIS! I agreed with all that you said too btw. It's gotten ridiculous now that Danny and others have given them healthy competition and they're still reluctant to change a lot of their old ways. (making tan dolls super exclusive and certain new molds only at Doll Point isn't enough sorry Volks...that's pathetic)

This is why I can't be sad they lose money, because it will be of their own fault.

At Home:

Mimiyo3

I'm similar to SK here in that I wouldn't go for volks if it weren't for the aesthetic and sheer variety of sculpts they have out there. That's literally their only draw and if it weren't for that much more of my dolls would be smartdolls or something else. Danny has the business model I like but the aesthetics just aren't there for a lot of them. There's not a lot of sculpts and many of them are just rather... Dull? Not ugly but very generic and featureless, the mirai sculpt being the worst offender. I make my characters so if they look like an amorphous moe-blob face I just can't do much with them.

Back on topic before we get yelled at though, I do like this sculpt a lot and I may actually have a plan beginning to form for her as a character.

I'd take wonderful photos of my DDH11 girls...

6053954a3dd4ff104743099a1d7ccec3--cartoons-parents.jpg

Present!

W.I.P.

Rose, Tara

Waiting

Hannah, Lucy, Sonya.

Monty

Well, the only other thing I can say on the matter is that despite what people keep saying, making everything available all the time is -not- financially viable. Other BJD companies do it because the dolls are made to order, which is easier to do for resin sculpts than vinyl (and also easier to do in china, which is where more and more BJD companies have popped up) which need to be made in large runs.

People keep saying Danny Choo can do this and that, but he only had a fraction of the amount of sculpts and sheer overhead that volks has, and it makes sense to me that a smaller company can work faster when they've got less things to deal with.. (And it looks like he's realized that it's not possible to keep the same products in production constantly because his licensed character dolls are limited. I also think the reason 70% of his dolls have the same head sculpt is due to this too, so if you only count every doll with Mirai a sculpt as one doll, there's a lot less products he has. And let's not forget he had those super limited Isetan outfits)

I kinda feel like I'm the only one who finds it kinda exciting that there's a girl so rare because of the suspense around it (I'm weirdly excited about the possibility that someone from here could theoretically win her)...but then again I probably wouldn't buy her myself, and I imagine it'd be really frustrating if I did. But I just can't really relate to finding this method of business in a niche hobby built around limited editions 'crazy', 'elitist' or at all unreasonable or that they 'don't want to make money'. People describe it as though Volks are being intentionally malicious to them. I'm sad I couldn't get Arle but that doesn't mean Volks have wronged me. Maybe it's just a cultural difference thing to how people perceive businesses 'should' work? I would 1000x more prefer Volks to put their money and efforts towards more new things than making enough limited things to be non-limited - and I'm prepared to wait for these new things to take their time to be available because that's just how big companies with too much on their plate roll. I'm doing the same thing with Azone's new poseable bodies.

(Oh but the 'buy the item to enter the lottery and we'll refund if you lose' thing was complete and utter bollocks, I'll be the first to admit that. Understandable bollocks considering the amount of flakers but still ridiculous. So Volks isn't without its oddities as a company to me, I just don't really think the things people tend to complain about are odd)

Ie-Aster

This is also because, recently, Tenshi no Sato (the SD headquarters/Mecca in Kyoto) stopped allowing DDs on the premises anywhere other than the bookable private photo rooms. (My chat group here says it's because too many horny guys were taking too many horny photos of DDs, in this place where it is 100% not appropriate.

...That's really depressing. I mean, whether or not the reason for why is true, it's kind of sad, but if that's actually true...

I have nothing against people taking whatever kind of photos they like if they are doing it in private and not sharing them where they're not wanted, but surely it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a place that brands itself as Tenshi no Sato does, and where there'd be mixed company, so to speak, is not a place where that'd be welcome?

Anyway, more on topic: It seems to be generally the case that more exclusive = higher desirability within the Japanese collectors' market. Quite aside from the production cost issues that Torino mentioned, it's probably the case that they aim their marketing strategy at that market since it's the consumer culture they're familiar with; their marketing people probably are much less familiar with how things work outside of Japan, even if they do have the USA branch company.

At home: Mei (DDP Lucy custom), Aku (DDB Takane custom)

En route: L. (DD Matoi)

Lore

I'd take wonderful photos of my DDH11 girls...

6053954a3dd4ff104743099a1d7ccec3--cartoons-parents.jpg

At Home:

Suzuna

The exclusivity is appealing to Japanese people. I may not like it and you may not like it, but Volks is a Japanese company and Japan is their primary audience. I'm grateful they let international folks buy at all, to be honest.

• Thanks 1

Gunter
The exclusivity is appealing to Japanese people. I may not like it and you may not like it, but Volks is a Japanese company and Japan is their primary audience. I'm grateful they let international folks buy at all, to be honest.

Yeah, no matter what people say this is really what it boils down to and how I feel. I'm happy to have the chance at anything.

~~

Also while it may be an initial "oh well that sucks" sort of response I personally find "the hunt" to be very satisfying. It is part of the appeal for me with some dolls even. There is just something really rewarding about getting something that people find "hard to get." I love researching and locating hard to get things for friends too. It is just really fun for me, personally. I do realize I'm sort of alone in that opinion though. ^^;

Either way, disregarding how things will go I'll have myself a fun time trying to snag this girl once I've decided she's actually something I want for sure.

• Thanks 1

Mimiyo3

I don't expect everything ever available right at my finger tips. I don't think most of us do. It just feels like more and more of the things relating to this hobby, things we've wanted for years that really are a big chunk of what the hobby has to offer are decidedly out of our reach with no clue as to when or if they'll be more widely available. Naturally that just isn't going to sit well with people. I get they're a Japanese company and that that's a part of their culture but they still are dealing with an international audience by basically sidelining them. They made the choice to deal with more than just Japan by having operations outside of Japan.

I'm glad they're at least bringing some tan girls and an 11 D'cord to the L.A. dollpa, but that's still something not a lot of people will get a chance to go to ultimately. Hell even just doing a small lottery for a few girls like this on USA would be nice. I just kinda wish they gave some signs that we wouldn't be left as out of it as we seem to be.

Present!

W.I.P.

Rose, Tara

Waiting

Hannah, Lucy, Sonya.

littlebirdzoom
Well, the only other thing I can say on the matter is that despite what people keep saying, making everything available all the time is -not- financially viable. Other BJD companies do it because the dolls are made to order, which is easier to do for resin sculpts than vinyl (and also easier to do in china, which is where more and more BJD companies have popped up) which need to be made in large runs.

People keep saying Danny Choo can do this and that, but he only had a fraction of the amount of sculpts and sheer overhead that volks has, and it makes sense to me that a smaller company can work faster when they've got less things to deal with.. (And it looks like he's realized that it's not possible to keep the same products in production constantly because his licensed character dolls are limited. I also think the reason 70% of his dolls have the same head sculpt is due to this too, so if you only count every doll with Mirai a sculpt as one doll, there's a lot less products he has. And let's not forget he had those super limited Isetan outfits)

I kinda feel like I'm the only one who finds it kinda exciting that there's a girl so rare because of the suspense around it (I'm weirdly excited about the possibility that someone from here could theoretically win her)...but then again I probably wouldn't buy her myself, and I imagine it'd be really frustrating if I did. But I just can't really relate to finding this method of business in a niche hobby built around limited editions 'crazy', 'elitist' or at all unreasonable or that they 'don't want to make money'. People describe it as though Volks are being intentionally malicious to them. I'm sad I couldn't get Arle but that doesn't mean Volks have wronged me. Maybe it's just a cultural difference thing to how people perceive businesses 'should' work? I would 1000x more prefer Volks to put their money and efforts towards more new things than making enough limited things to be non-limited - and I'm prepared to wait for these new things to take their time to be available because that's just how big companies with too much on their plate roll. I'm doing the same thing with Azone's new poseable bodies.

I want to pop in here and say thank you. Sometimes when I'm lurking on these threads and reading the comments I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have the same opinion, but unwelcome to say it among the verbal heartache of others.

I truly understand why people would be upset, but I think people are speaking from their hearts and not their brains. Which again is completely understandable, but I will never understand the mentality of "this should be available to me!". It's a *very* Western mindset. A lot of discussions about Volks stuff usually leads into this heart ache :/ Part of me thinks it's become just an easy trend to love hate Volks hah. I personally dislike Danny's business model - but I have a lot of reasons why I dislike him. Volks and Danny are incomparable sometimes, but it's hard not to see them as direct competition since they're really the only two vinyl doll makers out there right now.

The DDH11 head is perfect and sucks that she is so rare, but some of us like the chase. So I'm glad I'm not the only one. The longing and the wishing and hoping and stalking sales sites and saving waytoomuch money for items is precisely why I like the exclusivity of some Volks sculpts (resin and DD). Finally getting my hands on the thing I was after is the best feeling. If that element wasn't here I probably wouldn't be as into the DD side as I am.

"Volks is doing all this weird stuff I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they lost money it's their own fault" You would be upset if they lost money. For reasons too obvious to say. I do think they're tip toe-ing around a little too much and I wish any of us knew exactly what was going on in their heads, but to choose the words "elitist" or "snobby" to describe it is so far beyond ridiculous. They aren't showing off their new dolls with a big middle finger as the third picture down - it's just a different mindset. Side note: I wish they would do that xD That would be great

All in all it's gonna be alright. It's okay to have the feelings we have but we have to be honest with ourselves and try not to get ahead of our own hearts and just admit that we don't *know*. We don't know their stats, numbers, how their company works, what they have planned, why they do the things they do. We can only guess. Volks is growing and growing and more is happening, more is at stake..... and they're pretty weird.

Nothing was meant to offend anyone or sound like it's "me vs you, screw you". I'm pretty upset about it too, but not in the way that would lead me to blame Volks for my feelings. It just sucks. But the hunt is on!! And honestly if it is anything Volks does pretty sneaky is that they come around. Popular limited things never stay tooooo limited.... we can dream

• Thanks 1

Waiting for eternity for Volks to release more Idolm@ster girls.

Mimiyo3

I'll be honest and say I'd have far less concern if I just knew that there was going to be a more general circulation at some point. I don't even care if there's an exact date or not. Just volks saying they would would be nice. I didn't get bugged out over the 08 and 09 thing because I assumed they'd be standardized once new stuff came in to take their place but it just looks like they're expanding on the limited stuff. Part of the thing is I'd rather just go to volks for it instead of going through scalpers (Who suck btw, I hope we can all agree on that at least...) or hoping someone sells something somewhere without the intent of scalping. It can be fun to find a good deal but I don't want that to be everything in the hobby because it's just something I get burned out on after a while. Sometimes it's nice to have something be more simple. Tbh I really want to get a few tan dolls at some point and I'm not wild about most of the sculpts danny has to offer so that's not an option currently. I could dye stuff I guess? But I'd basically be going in blind and even if it's all standard stuff that's still an expensive blunder if it goes badly, which it probably would because I just suck lol. Boy bodies will be awesome because I have a lot of male characters I want to make that aren't buff enough to go on a smartdoll body. I'd just like to know that these things would be accessible at some point instead of just being exclusive to a particular irl place or only showing up on occasional limited character runs.

Plus, volks really does neglect their international audience and I don't think it's wrong to say that doing a bit more on that end would be a bad thing for them. Like, I'm really not asking for everything all at once standard now or something, cause apparently that's how it came off? Just some sign that there would at least be some access in the future when it's starting to look like they're maybe even straying away from that, not saying they definitely are doing that either, because they may not, but it kinda looks like it might happen. This is also why I wish they'd say just a little more about what they're planning because it'd be nice to not have to try and guess their next move off of slight hints.

It is ultimately too early to know for sure what's going on but I don't think it's insane for people to have their concerns about it. I'm a bit of a pessimist so perhaps me speculating that they'll do what I'm afraid they might do is just a kind of disaster prep even?

Present!

W.I.P.

Rose, Tara

Waiting

Hannah, Lucy, Sonya.

Lore

Plus, volks really does neglect their international audience and I don't think it's wrong to say that doing a bit more on that end would be a bad thing for them. Like, I'm really not asking for everything all at once standard now or something, cause apparently that's how it came off? Just some sign that there would at least be some access in the future when it's starting to look like they're maybe even straying away from that, not saying they definitely are doing that either, because they may not, but it kinda looks like it might happen. This is also why I wish they'd say just a little more about what they're planning because it'd be nice to not have to try and guess their next move off of slight hints.

It is ultimately too early to know for sure what's going on but I don't think it's insane for people to have their concerns about it. I'm a bit of a pessimist so perhaps me speculating that they'll do what I'm afraid they might do is just a kind of disaster prep even?

^ Agreed. ^

I'll continue holding the candle for Volks to expand their international market and allow their USA site the same access to things that they offer in Japan. (Doll Point in particular) It may never happen, but I can still hope.

In the meantime I think we can all agree that at least Volks has decided to keep updating their inventory and venturing into tan dolls again. A tan DDH11 would be super cute.

At Home:

Tira
Volks and Danny are incomparable sometimes, but it's hard not to see them as direct competition since they're really the only two vinyl doll makers out there right now.

Obitsu has been making vinyl dolls for at least a decade, way longer than Danny, and they have both anime-style and more realistic heads.

I do like the 11, and I wish she was easier to get, mostly just because of her adorable ": 3" face. I'd take her over 14 for the DCH option... Well, I just want a head with a kitty smile for a catboy character.

SakuraRose
Plus, volks really does neglect their international audience and I don't think it's wrong to say that doing a bit more on that end would be a bad thing for them.

Unfortunately a lot of Japanese companies don't seem to care about their international customers. *coughs* Avex. *coughs* I'm not really sure why they'd make such decisions, and I do agree it'd be more of a bad thing for them...More money to the proxies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Poofiemus

Honestly, I'm not surprised Volks decided to make a Doll Point specific head. Limited and exclusive items have been their MO . . . well, for as long as I've paid any attention to them. I mean, I remember when they made the maid and school uniform sets that are ubiquitous now, it was unbelievable that Volks was releasing items that would be regularly restocked that weren't blank bodies and heads!

I'm frankly much more annoyed at how they decided the exclusive head would be numbered 11, and then the Dream Choice ones are numbers 12 to 14. It feels so non sequential, I'm just like, "Volks, I thought you would have figured out how to count after you released the 06 and 07 heads before the 05. Didn't you learn?"

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Monty

So there was a pink-haired DDH11 D'Coord in Doll Point yesterday just...there. Not lottery or anything. Anyone who wanted her could have bought her. I was actually tempted but she's not a must have for me. (Gotta admit a devil appeared on my shoulder telling me to think of the auction prices she could reach on her own but I can't bring myself to be that evil)

Anyway I'm mainly reporting this because that means the head dropped a level of exclusivity and is no longer lottery only. That might not mean anything in the long run and she might still be a D'Coord exclusive head forever, but it still means she's a percentage more easier to obtain than she was, and that's...something...?

x3Ashley

Hi everyone!

I hope this question isn't incredibly obvious but I've been really (REALLY) wanting the DDH-11 for my own collection since I saw photos of her (and am really wishing she was easier to get haha)

I will be going to Japan early next year and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's much of a likelihood I'll be able to find/order her (given I don't live in Japan) as I'm not sure how often she pops up in Volks stores, if what Torino experienced was a lucky find or if she is available there often.

Thanks

Lore
Hi everyone!

I hope this question isn't incredibly obvious but I've been really (REALLY) wanting the DDH-11 for my own collection since I saw photos of her (and am really wishing she was easier to get haha)

I will be going to Japan early next year and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's much of a likelihood I'll be able to find/order her (given I don't live in Japan) as I'm not sure how often she pops up in Volks stores, if what Torino experienced was a lucky find or if she is available there often.

Thanks

I would also like to know the answer to this! ^_^

At Home:

Monty

I can't answer that unfortunately. I assumed that every day they make sure to have some amount of D'Coords available, but I saw a pic of when someone on instagram went and there were no D'Coords at all.... I've never seen zero D'coords myself though.

It's worth a look of course, and it's worth going back another day if you're staying long enough. There is set days each month they change the D'Coord selection - but the tan ones never seemed to follow that schedule and just appeared 'now and then', so I dont know if DDH11 does either.

I don't know if DH11 appears in the Yokohama store yet (the only other Volks store that does D'Coords).

I'd like to believe that she's a little more common by early next year - even if that just means they make sure there's always at least one of them in the lineup, but that's just my own wishes. I'll be going there again in November, so will note if there's one there then. (This will also be after all D'Coords start to come in their own uniforms, so there's a chance that this will make them even more popular/sell out faster.)