Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Dollfie Icon

marishade

Is is the start of lottery week! Good luck to everyone who enters!

• Like 3

baldylox

I just put in for Lilac!  I love how she looked before but this go around she looks even more amazing!  I sure I can get her!

And yes, I hope everyone who enters for one can get them!  Then we get to see alllll the pretty photos when they get home!  <3 

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

BeyondTime
14 minutes ago, baldylox said:

I just put in for Lilac!

Best of luck. @onion20@

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

moerunamida

So tempting to enter for Serra, but I'd have to sacrifice Sakura Miku in order to just be able to. She wouldn't forgive me. Good luck, everyone!

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Masteryoda1978

I’d like to see a pic of your Sakura Miku! Good luck to everyone who enters the lottery!!! 

baldylox
On 7/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, BeyondTime said:

Best of luck. @onion20@

Thank you sir!

Billy

Corgi

Good luck to everyone who entered! I put entry for both Serra. Hopefully I can get at least one of the two but look like chances are low. 😣

CrazyDollPerson

I just put in for Serra, I hope I get her! I have never had luck with the Volks lotteries, but I am hoping this time will be different because I want this girl so bad and no way I will pay second hand prices!

lardroom

I want at least one Icon, so I put in for any one of them. Here's hoping I'm not suddenly down $4K. Lol.

marishade

I entered for the Clover Romantic Glance. We shall see how it goes!

Starr

Good luck everyone who entered! ❤️

I keep fantasizing about entering every time they release the Icons!~ Someday I might be brave enough to enter the lottery. 

CrazyDollPerson

Is anyone else antsy to find out if they won? I will be driving 18 hours during the time they will let people know if they won so I am a bit nervous about it. I know they only give you a few days to pay if you win, and will only be able to check my email a few times during that span.

baldylox
On 7/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, lardroom said:

I want at least one Icon, so I put in for any one of them. Here's hoping I'm not suddenly down $4K. Lol.

I do hope you win the want you want most!  But don't worry at all if you get more than one.  You will be able to sell her EASILY just by listing here that you have one or more for someone to take over payment of.  They are going to be in high demand so getting one to another home won't be difficult in the least.  😉 

Billy

Courtmom

Good luck to everyone who put in for one! I personally didn't after I saw they STILL didn't fix the joint color match issue. But! Some of you guys are skilled enough to fix/hide that! So good fortune to the winners!

Miabird24

100% same, if they ever match the joints i'll be all over them like white on rice lol.

CrazyDollPerson
10 hours ago, Courtmom said:

Good luck to everyone who put in for one! I personally didn't after I saw they STILL didn't fix the joint color match issue. But! Some of you guys are skilled enough to fix/hide that! So good fortune to the winners!

8 hours ago, Miabird24 said:

100% same, if they ever match the joints i'll be all over them like white on rice lol.

I don't think they will ever match the joints going by their reasoning behind them not matching in the first place. I went for the only doll that has matching joints, I really wanted Lilac the most, but I KNOW the mismatched joints would bother me too much. Serra was my second favorite, so she is the one I went for.

Courtmom
13 hours ago, Miabird24 said:

Exactly.

5 hours ago, CrazyDollPerson said:

don't think they will ever match the joints going by their reasoning behind them not matching in the first place

Wait they gave a reason? When??

marishade

In 2019 with their first release I think a number of people complained about the joints and they released a response noting that it highlights the joints of the dolls and how they are put together or something like that. 

A few people here have noted that if the internal frame were to break, it is much easier to replace the parts as they are versus the custom colors as well.

Anyone else can correct me if I am inaccurate.

Edited by marishade
grammar
  • Like 2

Ui-
1 hour ago, marishade said:

In 2019 with their first release I think a number of people complained about the joints and they released a response noting that it highlights the joints of the dolls and how they are put together or something like that. 

A few people here have noted that if the internal frame were to break, it is much easier to replace the parts as they are versus the custom colors as well.

Anyone else can correct me if I am inaccurate.

Yep! It’s to show they’re still “ball-jointed” dolls. To stick with the tradition. I love it, because I love dolls. I’m buying a Queen Victoria doll for quite a bit from someone. Not BJD but a doll nonetheless.  

You can always dye them yourself (I could write up a method on how? I tattoo my dolls from time to time and you could take it to a hardware store or something and have them verify the color. Unless you have a good enough camera).

It’s much easier to replace the joints, saves them money—saves YOU money (Dollfie ICON would be SO much more expensive if they have to produce customers internal frame parts too).

and having that internal frame is what makes them a ball-jointed doll. Their skin is just a different color because that was modified. I think the modification of the ball joints should be a customization.

(I still think they should offer “ball-joint sets” in certain colors, releasing them in limited supply at certain times if not a regular release around sale time. Maybe a once every quarter lottery to see who can buy a pair of joints colored for their doll; or offer the option to have it shipped with them but for a premium price).

• Like 2

Courtmom
44 minutes ago, Ui- said:

Their skin is just a different color

But tan DD's are a thing, why isn't the "tawny" colored girl on a tan frame? Idk, I get what you're saying and all, but there are definitely ways they could have gone about it a bit better in my opinion than by just trying to be all "we didn't change the color because we're still ball joined." A lot of BJD have strung ball joints, but they're always the same color as the doll. I'm not saying the whole FRAME should be the color, but surely it wouldn't really have been too much of a hassle to do elbows and wrists. Honestly...

• Like 2

asianed
22 minutes ago, Courtmom said:

But tan DD's are a thing, why isn't the "tawny" colored girl on a tan frame? Idk, I get what you're saying and all, but there are definitely ways they could have gone about it a bit better in my opinion than by just trying to be all "we didn't change the color because we're still ball joined." A lot of BJD have strung ball joints, but they're always the same color as the doll. I'm not saying the whole FRAME should be the color, but surely it wouldn't really have been too much of a hassle to do elbows and wrists. Honestly...

The Volks Brown color (officially that's what the DCH dolls are) are much lighter in color that Tawny. 

IMG_20210712_174507.jpg.6c52829609b8569d8cf75c22cc43675f.jpg

Here's the hand from my brown MDD alongside the Tawny icon. Not even close... 

One potential challenge I see is being able to replicate the pearly glow of the vinyl in the hard plastic of the joints. Given that the Icons are probably extremely low volume production, it wouldn't make financial sense to try to build out 4 new joint colors to match the 4 vinyl colors. 

Courtmom
Just now, asianed said:

Here's the hand from my brown MDD alongside the Tawny icon. Not even close... 

OH WOW. Okay yeah thats a huge color difference I'll give you that. I guess I just feel like, for the price point, its not really worth it. I mean, even Danny made a blue frame to go with his blue skinned girls, and we don't even know how long they'll be around. Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, I guess I just feel like its kind of disappointing coming from Volks, because they've been around and doing this a lot longer.

marishade

You are right about Smart Doll's colored dolls, also remember the Icons were released prior and sell as they are.

I was a little annoyed with the joints when I first saw them, but got over it and I barely even notice it on my Lilac anymore. To that point, they still sell. The joints to do not match and they still sell! Why would a company go through the effort of R&D if the current product they have is selling?

• Like 2

asianed
15 minutes ago, Courtmom said:

OH WOW. Okay yeah thats a huge color difference I'll give you that. I guess I just feel like, for the price point, its not really worth it. I mean, even Danny made a blue frame to go with his blue skinned girls, and we don't even know how long they'll be around. Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, I guess I just feel like its kind of disappointing coming from Volks, because they've been around and doing this a lot longer.

The old frame for Kanu (truly tan dddy) might have been a good match for tawny, but that was a Dd2 frame. On the smart dolls, I don't know how many of the blue made it into the wild. They're also allegedly being discontinued, possibly because of high price for production?

With Volks being a well established player with lots of experience manufacturing vinyl, resin, and plastic (they make model kits too!), it might have been a very easy analysis for them to figure out what it would take to make pearly glow versions of the hard plastic joints. They probably quickly arrived to the conclusion that it would be too difficult and/or expensive to get a consistent run of 4 different new colors to match with a limited run vinyl product.

The Icons are likely priced the way they are because we are getting hand painted heads and low production run vinyl colors (though I'd venture to guess more of the premium is going into the faceup). In the Dollfie product line, they are marketed and sold more like the limited run resin products (also hand painted faces), rather than the mass produced DDs. 

Edited by asianed
  • Like 2

Courtmom
31 minutes ago, marishade said:

You are right about Smart Doll's colored dolls, also remember the Icons were released prior and sell as they are.

I was a little annoyed with the joints when I first saw them, but got over it and I barely even notice it on my Lilac anymore. To that point, they still sell. The joints to do not match and they still sell! Why would a company go through the effort of R&D if the current product they have is selling?

26 minutes ago, asianed said:

The Icons are likely priced the way they are because we are getting hand painted heads and low production run vinyl colors (though I'd venture to guess more of the premium is going into the faceup). In the Dollfie product line, they are marketed and sold more like the limited run resin products (also hand painted faces), rather than the mass produced DDs. 

You both make really good points on both parts. I guess they could at least offer tiny samples of dye or let the people who buy them know what the pantone color is so that if they want to dye them themselves they can. 

• Like 2