Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

TheAnimargus

Male Dollfie Dreams?

TheAnimargus

It seems like Dollfie Dreams are popular amongst females aswell as males, however most of them are based on Shonen/Seinen anime or eroge characters, all mainly marketed at boys/men(although I know a lot of girls like them too)

However, I think male Dollfie Dreams could be interesting. Having a combination of really popular male anime characters, and bishonen would be an interesting expansion for DDs, and I can't see girls not liking them, especially since the male super Dollfies seem quite popular amongst girls.

would they work aesthetically?

I think absolutely!

A lot of people like doing custom face ups, there could probably be some cross over between genders too. I think it would be quite interesting to have some more androgynous head molds, that could make either strong fierce women, or bishonen men.

Kanu Unchou's head mould already stands out to me as making a pretty good bishonen, she certainly looks less 'cute' than most of the others and she absolutely works.

It would open up the possibility of having characters as sets from shows which have very significant male characters with large fanbases.

Imagine a code geass set. Imagine owning both a lelouch and a cc?

That would surely be an ambition of many anime and Dollfie Dream fans.

What do people think?

Which male anime characters do you think would make good Dollfie Dreams?

misskale

This is a difficult question. I don't know how Volks would go about testing that either considering they didn't do the DD's until after they'd done some really popular anime characters in resin first.

Also, weren't Volks' Super Dollfies a reaction to the majority of resin dolls being male in the first place?

PlasticFantastic

I've only ever seen one custom DD that was male. And it was an 03 head on an Obitsu boy body. He was a cutie though of course he looked a little feminine! ^_^

I'll see if I can dig out some photos later if I can remember.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

TheAnimargus
This is a difficult question. I don't know how Volks would go about testing that either considering they didn't do the DD's until after they'd done some really popular anime characters in resin first.

Also, weren't Volks' Super Dollfies a reaction to the majority of resin dolls being male in the first place?

I'm sure there are ways they could do it.

One idea is releasing a male looking option head and option body like they do for the regular Dollfie, or beginning with just one or two male characters to gauge peoples reactions.

I guess there were so many otaku types collecting Volks' anime figures that they knew there was a big market for it, but it seems like the market has expanded beyond the anime figure collectors, and is appealing more and more to the sorts would otherwise be interested buy Super Dollfies, males and females.

Admittedly, there is also the fact that women seem to like dolls of both genders, whereas adult men and teenage boys seem to be mainly interested in female dolls, so releasing male dolls might not make massive sales, especially if the Dollfie Dream market is mainly appealing to men.

At the end of the day, Volks do the market research and they are the ones most likely to have the knowledge of what would and wouldn't sell, but regardless if it ever did happen, it would be interesting and I find imagining which characters they would sell fun.

misskale

Oh, I know they CAN do it.

I just am not familiar enough with Japanese business models and how they decide on new products. But, I do know that they tend to keep doing the things they do well with less improvement unless it's needed. Like with the DD internal structure.

T-Rho

I would be really interested in seeing some male DD's

Like from Basara ... and Data Masumune and Yukimara Imagine the outfits!

There are also a whole bunch of the guys from Gundam that you could do, and since they are popular I think they would be great start

I just guess when you look at the animes out there, there are a lot more female main characters and female centred shows than the guys. I also looked at the nendos and figma from those series and there is probably only MAX 10% of the characters being male.

I would definetely pick up one if they did it though!

DD's: Aoife, Maeve, Sinead, Claire, Merida, Orla, Alana (arrived)

T-Rho

http://kaitekinamafura.wordpress.com - Blog

https://kaitekinamafura.storenvy.com - Store

milkytea

I'm not interested in male Dollfie Dreams personally, but I wouldn't be opposed to them. They seem unlikely given the general direction of the Dollfie Dreams...but who knows~

Nightmare Tea

I know LordNoir was on a project of doing a male DD, but the thread's name slips from me at this time.

misskale

Although, I do admit that this (yes resin I know...) doll has made me think more about how a DD guy doll could look.

ceba002.jpg

Ravendruid

I'd like to see more males, but unfortunately, that seems unlikely as Volks really only pays much attention to the Japanese market, which at this point is very largely composed of otaku males. Probably the only way to change that would be to grow the foreign market for DDs to the point that Volks would have to take notice. Still, customs can be done with the right surgery, although they'll always look a little bit "pretty-boy"ish or ultra-cute.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

PrettyCranium

I know I've said this before, but I'd give a lot of money to Volks if they made an Edward Elric DD, complete with auto mail. Swoon. Of course, with Ed he might have to be a mini Dollfie Dream . . . Don't kill me Ed!

Nightmare Tea
I know I've said this before, but I'd give a lot of money to Volks if they made an Edward Elric DD, complete with auto mail. Swoon. Of course, with Ed he might have to be a mini Dollfie Dream . . . Don't kill me Ed!

I'd think of him being more of a DDS body type.

misskale
I'd like to see more males, but unfortunately, that seems unlikely as Volks really only pays much attention to the Japanese market, which at this point is very largely composed of otaku males. Probably the only way to change that would be to grow the foreign market for DDs to the point that Volks would have to take notice. Still, customs can be done with the right surgery, although they'll always look a little bit "pretty-boy"ish or ultra-cute.

Mm.

Just thinking about it.

If you got a DDdy, and put a DDII s-bust on it using the trimming method, you'd have something that would possibly fit the SD13 clothes very well. At least if baldylox's pictures here are accurate for pants fit. Also there are some sqlab heads that are definitely less feminine. Like Wakana or Ayumi.

Poofiemus

Mm.

Just thinking about it.

If you got a DDdy, and put a DDII s-bust on it using the trimming method, you'd have something that would possibly fit the SD13 clothes very well. At least if baldylox's pictures here are accurate for pants fit. Also there are some sqlab heads that are definitely less feminine. Like Wakana or Ayumi.

Downside of that is that the DDDy body's got huge hips, which don't look remotely masculine. ^^; Personally I'd be more likely to wait for Obitsu to finally get that 65cm boy body out and stick an SQ Lab head on it. (Or use the Obitsu 55 for a shorter guy. 3D printing a custom head may also be an option, as Shapeways' "polished white strong flexible" material apparently takes dye quite well.)

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

LordNoir

I actually made a thread where I experimented for science. ^^

It's int he Character Concept section, labeled a "Dollfie Dream prince." I've also tested and the Obitsu male chest can fit on a DDdy doll and most of the SQ lab heads can be fairly androgynous. ^^ It would be quite easy to make a male dollfie dream really.

A crazy fool with a house full of dolls, and ponies, and pony dolls

Now an Official Dealer for SQ Lab!

Nightmare Tea
I actually made a thread where I experimented for science. ^^

It's int he Character Concept section, labeled a "Dollfie Dream prince." I've also tested and the Obitsu male chest can fit on a DDdy doll and most of the SQ lab heads can be fairly androgynous. ^^ It would be quite easy to make a male dollfie dream really.

If you made a boy DD out of the DDdy body, he would have the ass of a champion.

JChiibs

It shouldn't be a surprise (from my name) that I would be deliriously happy to have a male DD to make Kyoya Ootori from Ouran High School Host Club. He kinda feels like my unicorn at the moment.

One idea is releasing a male looking option head and option body like they do for the regular Dollfie, or beginning with just one or two male characters to gauge peoples reactions.

This is what I want, desperately. There are bust pieces for all the girls anyways, so how hard would it to be to do boys? It's not like the Super Dollfies don't have boys.

6884098765_72ecb9f6b5_z.jpg

This is Tamayuki who is a boy (although he has a girl MDD s bust that was sanded slightly) but he would be much happier with a proper boy's body. His hips don't look too girlish either, and I have some pics that look fine when they are uncovered, but it's the chest that looks weird. I just don't get why the DD doll types don't have a boy body at all, is it the only set of Volk's dolls that don't?

I want boy bodies and I am an otaku!

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

mitsuki

Tamayuki is so cute! That is a great idea to use a MDD body with the S-bust. I agree that it would be great if they at least could make boy MDD bodies because it would maybe less work to change them versus the DD and DDdy bodies.

The Obitsu 65 cm boy looks pretty cool. I wonder when he will ever be released.

LordNoir

The obitsu male chest piece on the DDdy body doesn't have the issues that existed when I did it with the DDII, so I find it a much better fit. However, yes, he'd be a bit hipped, but I've found my DDdy girls have to wear the SD boy sized pants anyway since girl SD pants are too skinny, so I don't think it would be too much of an issue. SQ labs did mention at one point they were considering putting out male head sculpts as well, though a few of them ( Meyrin and Luka) already look androngynous enough that with a good face-up they could looks very male.

pandacornn

Hello everyone~ I saw something interesting and I think it has not been mentioned before.

http://www.alicescollections.com/kkb031-downcoat-p-3577.html?cPath=3_18

the model is a dollfie dream but it is a male! or at least in the male section ^ ^;

I think that with a very natural and simple face up, some sanding, the right wig, baggy clothes, and an S bust, a male dollfie dream is very much obtainable!

sig.jpg

LordNoir

The Dollfie Dream in that picture is a female with a medium bust ( you can tell from the way the shirt fabric sways around the chest.)

However, a small bust and nutarl face-up would easily make any DD head look more masculine.

JChiibs

The thing that gets me about not having an actual DD male bust (apposed to the s bust) is it looks really weird when they go shirtless, or even in a fitted tank top. I was honestly surprised when I got Tamayuki that I like him in the baggy look, because normally I don't like it at all. With him specifically it works because it makes him look more like a little boy. So sure, technically I could make a DD male, but even a tux wouldn't look right because boobs, even an s bust, still look like boobs, not pecs.

I would be perfectly happy to sculpt my own boy/male DD chest and faces but there is the issue of the texture/softness of the vinyl and making the skin tone match.

All I know is I want my DD Kyoya. (And no, the Obitsu is not the same IMO)

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram