Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OtakuDepot

What is your limit?

Conuresans

Tbh over the years I've debated on what my limit is as my interests in different sculpts changed- But as of late, I feel my limit is going to probably stand at 6 or 7 DDs? As I have my current girls + 3 on my list- Those 3 being I absolutely must have them and am okay with paying the cost on them (Miki, Luka and Nero otl) whenever I decide it's the right time to bring one of them home. 

Though, even saying that feels like a lot as I have my Iris collect and Bobobie to include in the space picture as well- Plus the 2 resin girls I'm pinning after which brings my planned doll collection to a solid 11... Which as a whole isn't too bad I suppose given that I'm currently in the process of thinning my figure collection but still sounds kinda higher so Idk. Time will tell.

Home: Melt (DDH-09), Kano (Iris Collect), Kirika, Y'Shtola, Suzune (Iris Collect Petite)

limbimin

I have a ddp and want to get an mdd in the future to go with her. That's my current limit until I have more stable income.

qudoll

Before I got my first dollfie dream, I planned on stopping at one. How naive I was.. 😅

• Haha 4

Juxtaposition

Currently I have DD Miku at home along with several resin dolls. Although I haven't set a limit for myself, I like my dolls to be very different. So when it comes to DDs, I would rather have one of each kind (MDD, DDP, a DD boy, etc.) instead of just a bunch of DD's like the Miku I already have. 🙂

Gabriel

My limit is 2.

That's why I have 14 and I'm entered in lottery for another.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

MichelleAK
On 2/2/2020 at 10:16 AM, Juxtaposition said:

Currently I have DD Miku at home along with several resin dolls. Although I haven't set a limit for myself, I like my dolls to be very different. So when it comes to DDs, I would rather have one of each kind (MDD, DDP, a DD boy, etc.) instead of just a bunch of DD's like the Miku I already have. 🙂

I'm kind of the same. I have a lot of resin dolls, in all different sizes and types, and plan to add a couple more DDs to the three I have now (I'm counting my Icon as a DD). I'd like a DDP, but am only meh about the two standards, so will keep an eye out for future releases. I haven't decided if I'd like a DDS or a Dynamite, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other came to my home at some point. 

angelicore

honestly i don't know if i really have a limit, haha. my disposable income isn't SO much that i can really buy a ridiculous amount of dolls in a short time period, and since i'm the sort of person that just enjoys collecting things in general i feel like it would take QUITE a while for me to accumulate so many dolls that it felt like "too much." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

♡ (they/them) ♡

Gallye

My limit is shelf space aaaaagh. There are only so many places where a big ol' doll can sit safely! No wonder so many of my resin dolls are mature tinies. 😅

Juxtaposition
6 hours ago, MichelleAK said:

I'm kind of the same. I have a lot of resin dolls, in all different sizes and types, and plan to add a couple more DDs to the three I have now (I'm counting my Icon as a DD). I'd like a DDP, but am only meh about the two standards, so will keep an eye out for future releases. I haven't decided if I'd like a DDS or a Dynamite, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other came to my home at some point. 

I'm in the same boat about DDP! I was considering getting Coron when she was released, but I think I'd rather save for another doll instead. For DDS or DDdy, it depends on which characters become available. I really want to get 2B if she's rereleased, and I was expecting Sailor Venus as a DDS, but that hasn't happened yet. 😅

MichelleAK
40 minutes ago, Juxtaposition said:

I'm in the same boat about DDP! I was considering getting Coron when she was released, but I think I'd rather save for another doll instead. For DDS or DDdy, it depends on which characters become available. I really want to get 2B if she's rereleased, and I was expecting Sailor Venus as a DDS, but that hasn't happened yet. 😅

Oh, I forgot about the Sailors! I'd like Sailor Jupiter in DDS. I almost pulled the trigger for Mars, but I'd prefer Jupiter.  And I also want a boy, if the right one comes along (Tuxedo Mask would be nice).

• Like 1

Ui-

I know some people whose limit is the amount the distance from the earth to the moon. 630,000,000 DDs and 1 yoSD standing on each other’s shoulders.

As for me, I bought five in six months too, and two are totally custom. Like Cotton my MDD/Dollce head girl:

CE118322-477B-446C-90F4-E378BA0307BF.jpeg.75cdcbbdf72be71b75a0cfb372869d92.jpeg

I only have three finished at the moment. Towa was my first, then Rem, Cotton (see pic above), Ram (who is in the mail from Mandarake), aaaand...

image.jpg.9d9f454848c77719d76d5174c4be2379.jpg
My second custom. But I am making her totally different. Jibril from No Game No Life. I even have her eyes. Buuut no head yet. Thus, we await Ram and Jibril.

I see no stopping in point for me. I likely won’t spend much money in 2020, but 2021 will be a different story. This year I’m saving for Emilia. Don’t want to be out of cash on the off chance she shows up somewhere (besides the scammer on eBay selling Ram for $3999.95 and Emilia for $4999.95. Trying to inflate the price for the uninformed. Glad his reviews show NO doll buyers. *wipes forehead* )

But stop? Definitely no. I need a vinyl Smart Doll. The cortex looks cheap to me... idk. I don’t like it. I didn’t like them. Didn’t know they had vinyl dolls until I checked the site. So when I saw a vinyl Smart Doll and instantly fell in love. The skin texture of vinyl is second to none. My next doll will be either a Smart Doll, Emilia DD if I can find her, or the v2 f3 frame Hatsune Miku. Yes, I have a problem

Someone whose name on here I can’t remember had a signature, and it was very wise.

"The difference between heroin and Dollfies? Heroin is illegal and Dollfies probably should be." Nobody sticks to their limits. 😂

Oh... and I have seven resin dolls. Two 60cm, two 1/6 scale, two 1/4 scale, and a Minifee Mio. Fairyland dolls feel way cheaper than Dollfies, but the thinner resin they makes for better posing than normal, thick resin. I’ve not noticed any significant yellowing. I leave my resin dolls out on display. I pack away my vinyl dolls in a white cushioned doll protectors. Has a little cover for the head and ties up. Then I put them in a dark drawer. I do take them out a lot, I love them, but I want them to avoid light as much as possible. I do take my dolls out for photos though. Even out to lunch:

69D78661-BC06-465F-A0D0-1E4AB89CB4BF.jpeg.99461a8415e9b2cde2f09788d3f61722.jpeg

Edited by Ui-
Man I typo’d.

BeyondTime
22 minutes ago, Ui- said:

I know some people whose limit is the amount the distance from the earth to the moon. 630,000,000 DDs and 1 yoSD standing on each other’s shoulders.

Yes, but Billy is a bit unusual. @onion9@

• Haha 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Ui-
27 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

You knew who I was talking about lmao. I’m envious of his collection. His girls are sooo cute, those I have seen. I’d love to go to his (literal) dollhouse and see all his girls. The ones one the banners, especially the one with the gray hair with that beautiful green background. Eventually, one day, I’ll have 100+ dolls; or 630,000,000 and 1 yoSD. 

(Adding the bust next to the DDS body was for @baldylox anyway haha. Maybe I’ll get a pat on the back. @onion9@)

EDIT: To everyone saying you don’t like the DDP dolls, is that just the head sculpts? Or the body? To me, it’s the body. I need a smaller doll with a large bust. Surprise surprise MDD has one. And it doesn’t look ridiculously big, even with the clothes off (like my DDdy). I only have two limited, Ram and Rem, but I have three DDS. I love the body type. I have a DDdy too. Some clothes really show off their beauty. And obviously an MDD

But as I was saying... if you look at that picture, my girl Cotton hugging my beer (lol) is a MDD with a Dollce type A head sculpt. Why not just get the DDP body, and change the head? The Dollce A heads look a little small and too much neck shows on a DD or DDdy, but on a DDS it looks just as good as an MDD. I’m pretty sure DDP girls are short, right? I’d think a Dollce custom head would work great. 

Edited by Ui-
Forgot to mention DDP advice
  • Like 1

cfx

About 10 for me. That's too many really, but the ones I need in my life come to nine so there it is. I'd actually prefer about 3 but that ship sailed already. I probably posted that number somewhere earlier in this thread...

@onion6@

When I hadn't been at this long, and didn't think I'd pay the money for aftermarket licensed dolls so was trying for customs of no-named characters before I figured out that this does not work for me at all, I also was trying for the a doll or two on different bodies thing, but I abandoned that a long time ago because I realized that the characters, and the face sculpts mean a lot more to me than what body it is. There's also the fact that I came to realize that I really dislike the DDdy body and so do not really want to own one, to the degree if there's ever a licensed DDdy that I have to have, I'll probably change the body, or at least swap the bust for a DD one. MDDs and other child-like dolls aren't my thing at all so I was never going to own one of those.

That's just my own idiosyncracies and preferences which aren't any better or worse than anyone else's.

@Ui-: Just to be sure, you found Mandarake's listing for "e Miria" so you can sign up to be notified?

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/DetailPage/item?itemCode=1105433211&categoryCode=020114&lang=en

Edited by cfx
  • Like 1

Ui-
24 minutes ago, cfx said:

About 10 for me. That's too many really, but the ones I need in my life come to nine so there it is. I'd actually prefer about 3 but that ship sailed already. I probably posted that number somewhere earlier in this thread...

@onion6@

When I hadn't been at this long, and didn't think I'd pay the money for aftermarket licensed dolls so was trying for customs of no-named characters before I figured out that this does not work for me at all, I also was trying for the a doll or two on different bodies thing, but I abandoned that a long time ago because I realized that the characters, and the face sculpts mean a lot more to me than what body it is. There's also the fact that I came to realize that I really dislike the DDdy body and so do not really want to own one, to the degree if there's ever a licensed DDdy that I have to have, I'll probably change the body, or at least swap the bust for a DD one. MDDs and other child-like dolls aren't my thing at all so I was never going to own one of those.

That's just my own idiosyncracies and preferences which aren't any better or worse than anyone else's.

@Ui-: Just to be sure, you found Mandarake's listing for "e Miria" so you can sign up to be notified?

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/DetailPage/item?itemCode=1105433211&categoryCode=020114&lang=en

You’ve really got my back, haha. Yes, I have that added as well. Thank you 🙏 

I even emailed the eBay guy trying to sell her for $5000, and he flips out on me when I ask to negotiate. Same guy who was selling Ram for $1600 then upped it to $4000. I offered him $1000 when she was $1600, and he denied it... so I got her cheaper elsewhere @onion9@  I almost don’t even know why I look there... on the off chance, I guess... I’m surprised you don’t like DDdy girls. I think they look ridiculous without clothes on, but I think my Towa is absolutely stunning in her dress and boots. MDDs I see as being able to be an adult or kid. Versatile doll. The dress Cotton has just looks better with a L bust. I tried with the normal and the chest is very flat lmao.

I have a few 1/6 scale childlike dolls. I take pictures of them hugging my 60cm dolls legs hahaha

This is the main one I use, even if I get emails about things I have. I do want to buy one more Rem outfit if it ever shows. Or even just Emilia’s head sculpt. That would be awesome lol. E8633643-1112-4FDC-AF16-E638496F3EC9.jpeg.670539cb18a8e60bf6b489ffe9780890.jpeg

Also, @cfx I am sending my hopes and wishes your way for the Ranko lottery. I didn’t enter as I said. 😛 (maybe I should’ve. Could’ve had two chances; when you get the payment back if you don’t win and I did, just give it to me and I give you Ranko 😂) Really though. Fingers crossed!!!! I didn’t get Rapunzel 😔 Don't really want to pay her aftermarket price either. 😕 Don’t let it happen to you. YOU’RE A WINNER!! Haha. Good luck!!

Edited by Ui-
Added the picture twice lol. I’m an editing fiend today x)

baldylox
17 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Says who?  😉  Besides, I don't have any YOSD dolls.  😛 

17 hours ago, Ui- said:

You knew who I was talking about lmao. I’m envious of his collection. His girls are sooo cute, those I have seen. I’d love to go to his (literal) dollhouse and see all his girls. The ones one the banners, especially the one with the gray hair with that beautiful green background. Eventually, one day, I’ll have 100+ dolls; or 630,000,000 and 1 yoSD. 

(Adding the bust next to the DDS body was for @baldylox anyway haha. Maybe I’ll get a pat on the back. @onion9@

Thank you very much but I'm well short of 630 million dolls.  😉  If you're ever in the area feel free to let me know and I'll see if Rei will allow you to tour the estate.  LOL  

And thank you for showing off the new boobs for Towa.  Everyone knows I love the boobies so it's always nice to get little nudges like that.  Good job!  ( There's your pat on the back.  😄 )

Billy

• Haha 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

MichelleAK
23 hours ago, Ui- said:

EDIT: To everyone saying you don’t like the DDP dolls, is that just the head sculpts? Or the body? To me, it’s the body. I need a smaller doll with a large bust. Surprise surprise MDD has one. And it doesn’t look ridiculously big, even with the clothes off (like my DDdy). I only have two limited, Ram and Rem, but I have three DDS. I love the body type. I have a DDdy too. Some clothes really show off their beauty. And obviously an MDD

But as I was saying... if you look at that picture, my girl Cotton hugging my beer (lol) is a MDD with a Dollce type A head sculpt. Why not just get the DDP body, and change the head? The Dollce A heads look a little small and too much neck shows on a DD or DDdy, but on a DDS it looks just as good as an MDD. I’m pretty sure DDP girls are short, right? I’d think a Dollce custom head would work great. 

For me, it's the head sculpts of the standard DDPs. They aren't unattractive, at all; I'm just not drawn to them. I probably will get a DDP body for my Liliru in the future, as I like the flexibility of having her be able to be a tween or a young teen.  I do wish the DDP body had a medium bust, as I think it would balance out the figure better, but It's fine as is. And I suspect Volks will make larger busts for them down the line, provided they do well.  

cfx
23 hours ago, Ui- said:

I look there... on the off chance, I guess... I’m surprised you don’t like DDdy girls. I think they look ridiculous without clothes on, but I think my Towa is absolutely stunning in her dress and boots.

It took me a while to come to the conclusion I did. The biggest thing is I just really dislike the DDdy busts, in or out of clothing; it never looks natural to me but more like some kind of bad plastic surgery job. When people mod the DD busts onto the body that's better looking, but then you end up with a doll that basically no clothing you can buy actually fits. I also strongly feel like Volks should've given the body different shins because as it is you've got large thighs on these little stick lower legs, and that also looks weird to me. To a lesser degree I feel the same way about the arms.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:00 AM, Ui- said:

For the DDPs, I don't care for the heads on the standards, as Volks went again for the child-like dolls instead of the young teenager look. If I were buying a DDP it'd be Iori or Yayoi, who I did consider seriously off and on, but I like other things more and I don't want too many dolls. In general I prefer the more mature sculpts like Takane and Sheryl. A cuter girl like Ranko is about the youngest look that I really care to own, and I'm glad that Volks did the sculpts for iDOLM@STER in a way where most of the dolls actually look older than their character art does.

DDP is quite a bit taller than MDD, and doesn't have the tubby child-like body proportions. Edit: Hopefully @foo won't mind me linking his comparison picture; here you can see DDP is closer in height to DDS than it is to MDD.

Those Dollce heads are what I consider to be child-like sculpts as well, just like Volks DDH-01. Your Cotton to me comes across as a small child doll (to an extent I'm completely surprised that's not what you consider her to be!) which is the impression I get from most MDDs; it's not just the body, it's also that head style that's mostly featureless, and even the typical expressions. MDDs made with the Volks DDH-10 head, like the one @foo has look more mature to me, but there's always going to be a limit due to the small stubby hands and the overall tubby body proportions. I find the large bust on MDD to be a kind of bizarre combination.

So there isn't any misunderstanding: That's not meant as an attack on anyone; it's just my personal views and preferences. Maybe the fact I'm really old changes what I see; I don't know. Sometimes I'm not sure if write things in a way where they come across too blunt or somewhat forceful.

Edited by cfx
  • Thanks 1

shinkei

I only have one vinyl at the moment, but I have a number or resin dolls. I think I'm at my limit right now and I'm fairly content with my collection, I still have a few dolls on my "nice to have" list. 😄

Devonian

As long as I have space and am able to finance my hobby, I probably won't limit myself too much. There's a few ideas I'm set on but I'm trying to space them out a little.

Haruka

I don't have a DD, SmD, or an Obitsu. Even if I did I don't think I would set a limit on how much is too much. I have a lot of resin boys and I don't think it's too much. Sure I've ran out of space on where to place them but meh. If there's a will there's is a way, well for me to place them that is. 

CrazyDollPerson

My limit was ONE...I am at 8...I want more. I have no idea where I would put them, but if I creatively rearrange furniture, I could maybe squeeze in 9 more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sord

I thought I would have a limit, buuuuuut it looks like the sky's the limit.

• Like 2

dark_dollies

I relate to these answers. I started out wanting one DD, if I get one I will be happy. But very quickly that has changed. I guess my limits are space to display them, time to devote to them, and of course, $$. 

• Like 1

sunlightandtea

Hmm... I think my limit is three. Although I usually only have one doll at a time and truthfully, I found having two at a time was actually kind of difficult for me. I was constantly worried about staining, yellowing, making sure the parts were holding up. I would check them over weekly for stains and such and general limb testing because I pose and dress my dolls a lot.

But of course, we'll see how long my limit of 3 holds up. ; )

Edited by sunlightandtea