Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

belpita

Injection vs vinyl

Panda_Dolliess

Mini Update: Danny responded to someone on twitter who had asked about a price and release date for the cortex

He said "No and no". But, you guys know how Danny likes to kid with us sometimes. However, he said that the price was supposed to be released in April and it's been May for over a week now. Lol

It's safe to say that we may not hear much about the Cortex for awhile. Especially with all the new releases coming out within the next few month.

On the bright side, it give everyone some time to save!

Panda_Dolliess

*_*

He's selling some of the Cortexes at 1000 yen (approx. $100 USD). The Twitter translation was a bit iffy, but it seems like they are some of the first products made with the finalized mold.

I don't want to be too optomistic, but I think the Cortext is going be to more than $100 but less than $300. Danny doesn't do heavy discounts unless something is faulty. We'll see....

Astraea

*_*

He's selling some of the Cortexes at 1000 yen (approx. $100 USD). The Twitter translation was a bit iffy, but it seems like they are some of the first products made with the finalized mold.

I don't want to be too optomistic, but I think the Cortext is going be to more than $100 but less than $300. Danny doesn't do heavy discounts unless something is faulty. We'll see....

Slight correction: 1000 yen is about $10 USD, which makes this seem like a marketing stunt (he said something like "if you get one tweet about it guys!!!"). It's a very limited run also.

The seams look good in some places and rough in others though. I can't help but wonder if the choice to make the material supposedly as soft/flexible as vinyl is a bad idea given that it's constructed like a model kit though, that seems like it would make misaligned/popped/warped seams more likely. Like, if you squeeze a thigh, will the seams pop apart? (I'm thinking "squeeze the kinder egg pod to pop it open and release the toy" kinda seam popping for reference but like probably less extreme?)

Kumi

DdW9KdrU8AA9yya.jpg

Zoom to see the parting line on the injection molded version of Smart Doll that we call Cortex. Still tweaking molds. To celebrate launch, a small amount will be sold at 1000 Yen each - folks who manage to get one at this price plz tweet about it to show off! No release date yet.

Direct english quote from DC, first comment in the Twitter status. Clickwar confirmed

Panda_Dolliess

Slight correction: 1000 yen is about $10 USD, which makes this seem like a marketing stunt (he said something like "if you get one tweet about it guys!!!"). It's a very limited run also.

The seams look good in some places and rough in others though. I can't help but wonder if the choice to make the material supposedly as soft/flexible as vinyl is a bad idea given that it's constructed like a model kit though, that seems like it would make misaligned/popped/warped seams more likely. Like, if you squeeze a thigh, will the seams pop apart? (I'm thinking "squeeze the kinder egg pod to pop it open and release the toy" kinda seam popping for reference but like probably less extreme?)

Whoops. I typed that post on my phone and added an extra zero. But, I still think the Cortex will be between $100 and $300. Someone on twitter asked if they would be available online. Danny didn't reply, but I have a feeling that this will be in-store only.

Eiko82

Someone attended Danny's lecture at Dokomi and this is what he said about Cortex:

Cortex:

- will cost a bit more than half of the current Smartdolls

- You can put Cortex Smartdoll heads on normal Vinyl Smartdoll bodies

- hands and Bust will be the same as the current that are available and you can still go on and use your current extra parts on the cortex version

- There will be apparel (dark apparel) that is only made for cortex as it would lead to staining on the normal Vinyl bodies but not on the resin cortex bodies

- cortex will also have more moveability as the current body. Especially when it comes to the legs

- he mentioned before on Twitter that he will be selling 10 cortex smartdolls for each 1000 yen as you know. I asked if this will only be a store only thing but he told me that they will be on the website.

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

jaderose
Cortex:

On one hand, that's still not terribly affordable, seems a tad bit fragile, and vinyl has a really nice texture. On the other hand, that's one hell of a deal compared to other dolls (both vinyl and big-name resin), and bonus points for less worries about staining.

... On the third hand, I had a medical scare today, have a difficult semester coming up, and will definitely have a few hundred dollars kicking around by the time the Cortexes are released (maybe 2025? ). Welcome to the Serious Potential Purchase section of the wishlist, Cortex! It looks like you'll be there for a while.

The post above this signature was probably TLDR, and I am very sorry.

Panda_Dolliess
Cortex:

On one hand, that's still not terribly affordable, seems a tad bit fragile, and vinyl has a really nice texture. On the other hand, that's one hell of a deal compared to other dolls (both vinyl and big-name resin), and bonus points for less worries about staining.

... On the third hand, I had a medical scare today, have a difficult semester coming up, and will definitely have a few hundred dollars kicking around by the time the Cortexes are released (maybe 2025? ). Welcome to the Serious Potential Purchase section of the wishlist, Cortex! It looks like you'll be there for a while.

Well, that price is affordable for Smart Doll considering the price points of everything he produces.

jaderose
Well, that price is affordable for Smart Doll considering the price points of everything he produces.

Good point, but my wallet is still crying

I got all excited when he posted this (translated) tweet

Injection molded version Smart doll. I promise to end the big doll market.

Original doll also copyright doll.

I wrote the rationale for this article.

but the article was just a weird rambling about how we have to use our time because we're all dying (he could really use an editor) and not the Cortex info that I wanted! Aaugh! Let me plan to give you money, darn it!

The post above this signature was probably TLDR, and I am very sorry.

Panda_Dolliess

Danny posted about the Cortext recently!

The mold is completed now and it seems that he's changed the design of the arms and legs. Before, everything was split in half. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. He still plans to offer some of these for only 1000 yen.

If you want updates, follow Smartdoll on twitter and turn on post notifications. I notice that Danny tends to post more in the mornings, so if you really want to be on the hunt, I recommend having a clock set to Japan time on your phone or something

Panda_Dolliess

We have finally have news on the release of the Cortex!!

[Twitter Translation]

I felt the limit of the mass production of soft vinyl at the beginning of Smart doll launch. The plastic model version of SMAD Cortex was finally able to develop in three years. Except for the dividing line, the appearance is the same as soft vinyl. Even more so once dressed.

This year's fourth quarter will be released in order to meet overseas Christmas sales.

I'm super excited! I really thought that the Cortex wouldn't be coming out until next year at the earliest with all the new stuff coming out. Hopefully the full range of girls will be offered in their Cortex versions.

Zaliayn

Danny has posted a short video showing the injection molded version of Mirai.

Edit: Clearer version (at least for me) of the video on Instagram:

Still on for a release during the holiday season at the moment and it does sound like they could be a LOT cheaper than the vinyl dolls. I can't wait to get my hands on one of them!

MegWesley

This would be perfect for my mom! She loves Mirai, but hates her price. I think she might be perfectly happy with the injection Smart Dolls. I'll have to show them to her when they come out.

I love that everything is still interchangeable. That makes me happy.

Home: Hatsune Miku ♡

Panda_Dolliess

More Cortex Updates!!

There's a few more tidbits on Twitter, but this Instagram post covers the bulk of the information. The estimated release is Late October/Early November for a pre-built Mirai!

He also mentioned that he will create a tutorial on how to remove the seams in the same manner that Gundam modelers do!

For people hoping for a kit version, Danny said that he wants to include a plier-like tool that is required to put the Cortex together, so there is still no update on when the kit version will be available.

The Tea and Cocoa skintones will be presented sometime next month (asked by someone in the comments).

Mizuumi-no-Otome
More Cortex Updates!!

There's a few more tidbits on Twitter, but this Instagram post covers the bulk of the information. The estimated release is Late October/Early November for a pre-built Mirai!

He also mentioned that he will create a tutorial on how to remove the seams in the same manner that Gundam modelers do!

For people hoping for a kit version, Danny said that he wants to include a plier-like tool that is required to put the Cortex together, so there is still no update on when the kit version will be available.

The Tea and Cocoa skintones will be presented sometime next month (asked by someone in the comments).

Yay, some good news! I won't hold my breath (Danny's release dates are...fluid to say the least) but I'm excited, hopefully the new sculpt will present in Cortex sooner rather than later, so that I can get one in Tea skin and finally have a custom Sailor Pluto made.

Yumeiro

And some more insight:

The future of licensed fashion dolls will be Cortex based and that future starts soon. I have already been approached by doll manufacturers who want to switch their vinyl/resin bodies to Cortex. With Cortex you will be able to buy your favorite game, anime or movie characters for considerably less than they are now. Mika will be vinyl as the contract for that was signed last year but the next Idol Master Cinderella Girls Smart Doll announced this Sunday will be Cortex based.

Interestingly enough I have had pushback from many folks in the doll community who do not want me to release Cortex saying that I will devalue the price of their expensive dolls and that the doll market will be destroyed. Ummm OK.... Cortex molds and casting is done in Japan under my supervision. It’s a project that I’ve worked on for three years with my team. A ton of engineering has gone into it and I can’t wait for you to have it. I want as many people around the world as possible to have one.

Panda_Dolliess

Yay, some good news! I won't hold my breath (Danny's release dates are...fluid to say the least) but I'm excited, hopefully the new sculpt will present in Cortex sooner rather than later, so that I can get one in Tea skin and finally have a custom Sailor Pluto made.

Yeah, he's really bad with deadlines/release dates. I am hoping for smooth sailing with the Cortex. I'm personally waiting for Cortex Ruby. I'm super excited as well

Misuka

I'm wondering if there will be the option to upgrade maybe fashion-doll collaborations to vinyl instead of cortex for those with those preferences? Cortex sounds great for those in that specific market, but I can think of maybe some fashion collaborations where maybe vinyl would be more aesthetic but would maybe block people out of that market.

Panda_Dolliess
I'm wondering if there will be the option to upgrade maybe fashion-doll collaborations to vinyl instead of cortex for those with those preferences? Cortex sounds great for those in that specific market, but I can think of maybe some fashion collaborations where maybe vinyl would be more aesthetic but would maybe block people out of that market.

I honestly think that the material of the doll will the be the sole chose of the licensing company and definitely not the customers. Some brands may want to price gate their licensed characters while other may not. We will have to wait and see.

Panda_Dolliess

For people wondering about whether or not they can sand of the seam (parting) lines on the Cortex, Danny has shown that is it very possible with some light sanding. On Instagram, Danny said that anyone with experience with Gundman models or sanding resin BJDs will be able to remove the seam lines on the Cortex. The tea and cocoa skin tones can also be sanded.

Panda_Dolliess

I wouldn't really call this an update, more of an affirmation of information we were already told, but Danny released a video on Instagram of him stain testing the Cortex!

It quite entertaining to watch and it shows that you can essentially draw on the Cortex with a sharpie without fear of staining as opposed to the soft vinyl version.

Eiko82

Wooooah, that is amazing O__O

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

MegWesley

Okay... That laugh at the end was a bit creepy. But, that is really cool that sharpie comes off! That is a big selling point for me. I love my Miku's soft vinyl, but I'm always a tiny bit hesitant of thinking about putting her in black or another darker, richer color without some sort of lining. This would be the type of dress up in anything doll.

Home: Hatsune Miku ♡

growcian

I'm disappointed Danny didn't laugh like this:

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

kk1030

Well, just my 2 cent. If cortex works anywhere close to material they use for plamod, then doing a face up on cortex can proof extreme difficult or annoying, as pastels and pencils dont stick on those very well.