Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

TheAnimargus

Male Dollfie Dreams?

JChiibs

Seriously, this is not a modded head. Why keep insisting it is? Both Katnaper and I talked about it before she posted this thread, and if it was merely a modded head we would have been able to pick it out. There are more doll companies other than Volks, and other people able to make custom heads. The nose would have to be completely remade, the head stretched, ears raised/lowered, ect. for this to even remotely be a Rise head. I know this very well because of my current 3D design class project, 3/4 of which was done out of my head. Yes it looks odd in places because it's unfinished. I'm merely trying to point out that I know what I'm talking about.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

katnaper
Seriously, this is not a modded head. Why keep insisting it is? Both Katnaper and I talked about it before she posted this thread, and if it was merely a modded head we would have been able to pick it out. There are more doll companies other than Volks, and other people able to make custom heads. The nose would have to be completely remade, the head stretched, ears raised/lowered, ect. for this to even remotely be a Rise head. I know this very well because of my current 3D design class project, 3/4 of which was done out of my head. Yes it looks odd in places because it's unfinished. I'm merely trying to point out that I know what I'm talking about.

~Sister Kyoya

Wow, SK your project is really nicely done. Gosh, I wish I knew how to do 3D modelling then maybe I can just create my own custom male head *thinking of Tiger and Bunny*.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

JChiibs
Wow, SK your project is really nicely done. Gosh, I wish I knew how to do 3D modelling then maybe I can just create my own custom male head *thinking of Tiger and Bunny*.

Thank you. The best part about that project is the heads will be 3D printed. My professor calls it the shrunken head project since each head is about 6" tall. I cannot tell you how tempted I was to do a DD head since it would fit within those dimensions, but it wouldn't have been complete enough for the assignment. Everyone else (I think) is doing alien heads, because how can they be told they are wrong? And of course, I go for the difficult faux classical style, and surprise even myself.

As for doing my own custom DD heads... I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to do it. Sure I can have them printed on Shapeways, but will some sanding and blushing be enough? What happens to the material if you get it wet? What would it take to do my own resin casts? How could I get the color accurate? Would the color difference require a custom body as well? Oy! The questions could go on and on, but that doesn't stop me from finding the answers. My friend keeps bugging me to make her the sculpts from her two favorite Digimon boys, and I think they would look perfect on the Obitsu 45cm. If I can get this figured out I'd love to see if offering custom DD heads (especially boys!) might be an option. So much to figure out first, and I wish I had some sort of directions to go by for the best results. Currently I don't even know what getting one 3D printed head would cost.

Anime has so many tempting boys. My personal custom unicorn is Zelgadis Greywords from Slayers. Gotta love the mint green skin and lavender hair! Ak! How could I forget the Ouran boys! I blame school for frying my mind...

~Sister Kyoya

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Poofiemus

Unicorn boy! Heh, yeah, he does look a bit neo-classical.

I've been pondering Shapeways heads too. From my reading I'd guess the Polished Strong White Flexible would probably be my leading material candidate; the texture isn't hugely pronounced and it evidently takes dye really nicely. I do wonder if you could ask for small materials samples to test dying on though?

Is it warped that I kind of hope 3D printing a head will be a bit expensive so that I won't be quite so tempted to go crazy and make like a bajillion heads?

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

katnaper

Is it warped that I kind of hope 3D printing a head will be a bit expensive so that I won't be quite so tempted to go crazy and make like a bajillion heads?

No, because, I would be bankrupt if it wasn't.

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

JChiibs
From my reading I'd guess the Polished Strong White Flexible would probably be my leading material candidate;

Ditto.

I do wonder if you could ask for small materials samples to test dying on though?

They have some sample packs. They really should make that a lot easier to find...

Even though it is highly controversial in the BJD community, I really wish info on doing "recasts" was a lot easier to find. That would be a huge chunk of info I could use to do my own resin heads, but not recasts. Arg, so frustrating...

~Sister Kyoya

Yukamina

Even though it is highly controversial in the BJD community, I really wish info on doing "recasts" was a lot easier to find. That would be a huge chunk of info I could use to do my own resin heads, but not recasts. Arg, so frustrating...

~Sister Kyoya

Are you familiar with the BJD artist forum The Joint?http://www.denofangels.com/joints/forum.php There's some info on resin casting there. I've tried my hand at casting myself, but it's not for me @_@ It's difficult, expensive, and without equipment like degassing chambers, your castings will have air bubbles in them. Its OT, but here is the head I sculpted and cast suna6

Another option is to go send your sculpt to a company that will cast it for you. Some companies require a minimum order of 40-50 pieces, you'd have to ask around. Last I checked, these companies will cast doll parts for you: Dollshe, Bobobie, Jpop dolls, Fantasy Doll

When I have time to sculpt again, I'm kinda hoping to do this

JChiibs

Thanks for the links! I'll look into them when I have more time. The head you sculpted is really beautiful.

I'm honestly not thrilled with the casting option because I can tend to have a short attention span at times. I hate to admit it but it's a reality I have to deal with. What I'd really love is, to just do the 3D sculpts and dye/blush them to the proper color. Part of the issue is trying to figure out how to consistently get the colors right so it would match the vinyl. Starting with a white head and a peach colored bust could be a very long disaster. A similar solution is also making the compatible body parts to use with the Obitsu skeleton, making it less of an issue because the head and body parts could be dyed at the same time. Oh man, this is so tempting... buff Obitsu men! Better yet the bodies wouldn't be OT. Mix and match body parts would be really great too. Plus one of the options that Shapeways would offer is to buy things in parts and allow for people to customize them too. One of my MDD girls I want to do has a false leg that would be made out of metal. Expensive as anything, but it would be awesome.

The reason I pointed out the Obitsu skeleton and not the DD bodies is because you can get the parts separately and not have a ton of expensive body parts leftover.

~Sister Kyoya

katnaper
A similar solution is also making the compatible body parts to use with the Obitsu skeleton, making it less of an issue because the head and body parts could be dyed at the same time. Oh man, this is so tempting... buff Obitsu men! Better yet the bodies wouldn't be OT.

~Sister Kyoya

Would the price be too prohibitive if the DDIII skeleton was used? Danny Choo already did a 3D sculpt of his girl, I wonder if he or anyone else anyone would do one of a boy using that Polished Strong White Flexible and like you were thinking maybe use either a DD or Obitsu skeleton instead of elastic. Mind you, if Obitsu would just hurry up mass producing the 65cm body, all we'd have to worry about would be 3D sculpting a male anime style head or a buffer chest/torso piece

Oh well, I will have just have to wait I guess.

One of my MDD girls I want to do has a false leg that would be made out of metal. Expensive as anything, but it would be awesome.

Gah, Edward Elric on an Obitsu 55cm body comes to mind. I'd love to have a 3D printed metal arm and leg for that one. And a specially sculpted Edward head. I really need to learn about this technology. Hmmm... maybe I can convince hubby it would be in his best interest as he is forever wanting custom parts for his Gundams...

JChiibs

I still don't know what the cost would be for anything from Shapeways, depends on how much material is used. If I had any meshes done I could find out, but I haven't gotten that far. Cost prohibited depends on where your budget is, but I personally get tired of having to buy 2 bodies to finish 1 male. Tama-chan's chest is pretty great, but I wouldn't say that it's perfect, and he still has the female torso... The other reason I lean more towards the Obitsu is from what I've messed with, they are a lot easier to get apart, yet I totally loathe the wrist joints. I would be totally sold on the Volks skeleton if only you could get just the skeleton and not the vinyl pieces.

I'm looking forward to doing the metal leg at some point because it would look more like metal lace than plate metal, and the reason why 3D printing would be perfect.

3Ds Max is great and easy to use! Only problem is it's $3,000. Even with my spending habits it's a killer. Mudbox is great too and is only $700, but at the moment it doesn't play nice with my computer.

Even with the 65cm body I can still think of boys that would need buffer arms and chest at least, like Gourry Gabriev. Knowing me I'd probably do it just because I could.

~Sister Kyoya

katnaper
I

3Ds Max is great and easy to use! Only problem is it's $3,000. Even with my spending habits it's a killer. Mudbox is great too and is only $700, but at the moment it doesn't play nice with my computer.

~Sister Kyoya

Now is a nice time to win the lottery. Seriously though, software is freakishly expensive still. Must be why lots of people still do customs good old sculpting methods and resin casting. Also, it takes a while to acquire the skills to learn the software. Oh well, waiting is part of the game. Will currently have to keep dreaming about the DD Boys for a while.

katnaper

With the 65cm having come out I wish Volks would seriously reconsider coming out with a male DD. I am so tempted to get a male anime head 3D sculpted just to start. My wishlist would be something along the lines of:

-Archer (Fate)

-Vash Stampede (Trigun)

-Bunny (Tiger and Bunny)

-Kakashi (Naruto)

-Sebastian (Black Butler) - I don't like any of the present sculpts

Sigh. Someday.

Kodama
With the 65cm having come out I wish Volks would seriously reconsider coming out with a male DD. I am so tempted to get a male anime head 3D sculpted just to start. My wishlist would be something along the lines of:

-Archer (Fate)

-Vash Stampede (Trigun)

-Bunny (Tiger and Bunny)

-Kakashi (Naruto)

Sigh. Someday.

If they did Sebastion, the gals at least, and a lot of guys, would be fighting over him.. He'd look so dapper in his butler outfit.. They'd might have to do a double run, the demand would be so high.. ^_^

PrettyCranium

Don't forget Edward Elric . . . Though he'd have to be 50cm (ducks)

Sebastian would be a dream, especially if MDD Ciel would be released as well.

katnaper
Don't forget Edward Elric . . . Though he'd have to be 50cm (ducks)

Sebastian would be a dream, especially if MDD Ciel would be released as well.

Hahaha. He would never forgive you for that. Make him at least 55cm. *hides*

crimsoncat
-Vash Stampede (Trigun)

If they ever made a Vash dollfie dream I would die from happiness. Dear Volks: Not that you'll ever see this, but TAKE MY MONEY AND MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

snooze_button_cat.png

Meu Meu

I think a male DD would be a fantastic idea

Amara77

-Archer (Fate)

-Vash Stampede (Trigun)

-Bunny (Tiger and Bunny)

-Kakashi (Naruto)

Sigh. Someday.

Me too Ive been thinking of doing this for years! I think Archer Kakashi and Vash would all have a similiar face shape.

There is also DIM and nobility doll that will make resin sculpts for you. The more you have for the Go the lower each head is obviously. Ive seen them made with a figure as a reference. They definitely have the right anime aesthetic.

Having decided to make my Naruto OC in DD I think I may sell my other Kakashi head, hes to realistic, besides I'd prefer more anime anyway.

Getting the heads made is definitely do-able!

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

JChiibs

I know I'm all for the male DD! With 1 finished, 3 already started, another one planned and talked about frequently, not to mention the embarrassing number of them on my DD plans wishlist... I might end up with more boys than girls, and so far I've got 6 girls finished, started, or preordered, and my husband as one and another preordered.

I never would have imagined that guy DD would become such a big deal in the last year but it's SO awesome to see!

~Sister Kyoya

PrettyCranium
He is so super cute! Any idea what head that is?

~Sister Kyoya

Looks like he is sculpted just for that character. I had a feeling that you would like him!

mangaemi

Man.. after getting an Obitsu body to go with my new boy -- I really wish Volks would put out a male vinyl doll. Not to say Obitsu bodies are bad, just I prefer the ease of attaching the head and having a closer skin match with SQLab heads.. and also, eh I dunno. They pose great but they're too squishy?? (does that make sense?) DD gals are solid *unless they have those peach pai boobies*.

They could make really bishie guy DDs - the yaoi market is huge, that could be the tipping point to get more gals buying DDs over males wanting girls with giant rocketcanon chests... XD

But that obitsu guy from the figure site... soooo cute XD is there a moe term for males? boe? (like.. boy-eh? badump pssh.)

♥ ★ ✮ ~ Amassing an army of Anime Cuties ~ ✮ ★ ♥

The Family: Sheryl, Ranka, Kirika, Arlex2, Yoko, Snow Miku, Haruka, Student Mariko, Prisma Illya, Akira, Maria, Cirno, Noumi, Asuna Titania, Sakuya

on the way: want: Sailor Moon, Miki, Yukiho

JChiibs

I couldn't resist the temptation when @volks_doll posted a pic on Twitter of all resin boys at the Dollpa. So I sent a reply asking why they don't have DD male bodies. Of course I couldn't resist adding one of Tama's cute pics from December when he was modeling his new clothes. (Thank you again Miss Kale!!)

I'm trying so hard not to giggle myself silly. I won't tell them that he has the Obitsu boy bust on in the pics if you don't. (Not like you can tell.) I really don't expect a reply, or even anyone to notice it, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

~Sister Kyoya

Bloodflower
He is so super cute! Any idea what head that is?

~Sister Kyoya

He's a Obitsu 02 Standard head with custom face-up. He'll be sold on Doll Show 37 and limited to 50 pieces.

Corellia(DD Marya), Sirius(DDS Sirius), Luka(DDdy OOB N-04), Alessa(DDdy Sakura Honya Head) Genma(Azone Kanojo)