Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

Mirai SmartDoll Info thread (UPDATED)

baldylox
Maybe it'd work better if they were naked and wigless like the Smart Dolls, since they'll be twice as heavy otherwise.

Funny you said that because it's EXACTLY the same thought I had after trying to balance three of MY girls like in that one photo. I successfully got two of them piggybacked with no problems at all using a DDdy as a base and a DD2 as the one on top. I tried to put my DDS on top of those but the DDdy hips kept giving out and moving left or right on me once I had them almost balanced. I think if none of them had on clothing or shoes or wigs like the SD girls had, I could get them balanced. Weight seemed to be more the issue for me than actual balance.

I took a couple of pics from various angles to show I wasn't cheating but I haven't uploaded them yet. I'll do so sometime today.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

baldylox

So here are the pics I took of two of my girls doing piggyback rides.

The first two show Aoi ( on a DDdy body ) and Akane ( on a DD2 body ) doing the Firemans Carry style.

23697010696_7b9962957b_z.jpgDSC_6416 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

23614575752_80cea54d37_z.jpgDSC_6417 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

I did different angles so people could see I wasn't cheating... the girls are standing all on their own. Both are also fully clothed which makes it a little harder to do. But as you can see, Aoi isn't leaning too far forward to carry Akane like she is.

The next two pics show the two girls doing a shoulder piggy back style.

23355119279_34a886536d_z.jpgDSC_6418 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

23427359810_9c017cb3e5_z.jpgDSC_6419 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

Here, I had to lean Aoi forward a bit more in order for Akane to stay put. But both positions were relatively easy to do and took less than 5 minutes to set up. I did try for 3 girls but had too many issues with Aoi's hips to make them stay put for more than half a second. I think since her body is older, it's not as stable under that weight so I may need to find one of the newer girls to be the base just to keep a more solid stand for the others.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Ron2andia

Thank you all for your contributions over the life of the this thread! Great info... I am pretty much set on a Smart Doll but have a few questions... 1. Does any body have a picture of what the DD L bust look like on the inside? 2. Can a resin head be made to fit a smart doll? 3. Do ppl resell these and do they hold value or is Dollfee more valuable because of the limited edition thing... Just wondering as I really do like the smart doll best so far...

cirquemom

So far I personally have only seen one Smart Doll on ebay, and she was listed for as much as a brand new one would cost. Don't know if it sold or not. I suspect they will hold their value- especially these early ones made in Japan because at some point they may be made elsewhere.

Monty

I think the reselling part is the main negative of smart dolls. It's great that Danny wants to make them always available because he understands the frustration of limited dolls, but it means that you can only resell them for less. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy someone's second hand smart doll for the same price as a brand new one you can buy online (unless it was in perfect condition and you lived close enough that the shipping was next to nothing) and yet I'm always surprised at he number of people I have seen trying to resell them on Facebook for either their RRP or in many puzzling cases more than their RRP. I don't get it.

(I don't get the people who expect to resell them for more or equal to their value, I mean. I get why Danny doesn't do limiteds.)

senyac

I think its great that Danny's Smarts dolls are easily available which stops scalpers ripping people Off .

Nothing pisses me of more with DD's than seeing people who have multiple emails and accounts so they can get around Volk's "only one per person " limit so they can win many DD's in the lotteries and then Rip collectors of by charging 3 or 4 times the original price ! Sure I understand that the Limited versions should be worth more because of they are limited in numbers But the way Volk's are turning a blind eye to scalpers is allowing the Cheaters to profit ,

I read on a FB where one person was bragging they had 10 emails and accounts with Volks to increase their chance of winning and in one lottery they won 4 dolls which they did not want to keep but just make a profit Volks should realize that this person is cheating when 4 dolls are being shipped to the same address .

So more Power to Danny! keep the smart dolls coming! I just hope he makes more face shapes from now on . or release the body only so we can add DD's heads

Mimiyo3
I think its great that Danny's Smarts dolls are easily available which stops scalpers ripping people Off .

Nothing pisses me of more with DD's than seeing people who have multiple emails and accounts so they can get around Volk's "only one per person " limit so they can win many DD's in the lotteries and then Rip collectors of by charging 3 or 4 times the original price ! Sure I understand that the Limited versions should be worth more because of they are limited in numbers But the way Volk's are turning a blind eye to scalpers is allowing the Cheaters to profit ,

I read on a FB where one person was bragging they had 10 emails and accounts with Volks to increase their chance of winning and in one lottery they won 4 dolls which they did not want to keep but just make a profit Volks should realize that this person is cheating when 4 dolls are being shipped to the same address .

So more Power to Danny! keep the smart dolls coming! I just hope he makes more face shapes from now on . or release the body only so we can add DD's heads

I agree with this. Volks could easily add some limits to their lotteries like a per household limit. This would at least make it much tougher for scalpers to get away with it as they'd have to have a network of addresses for the dolls to be sent to. Volks also keeps saying that they do not approve of scalping which makes their lack of measures against it all the more confusing.

This makes me wonder, since danny has mentioned doing character dolls like volks does, how would he handle these? Would they be preorders or would he do a lottery system like volks. I'd like to think he'd know better than to click war them. That's just asking for your site to keel over.

Present!

Miku, Aria, Celia, Melody, Aveline, Rin T, Ted, Chi, Yumi, Melanie, Rin K, Len, Ea, Alter, Illya, Rachel, Aelia, Matt, Jace, & E.N.O.

W.I.P.

Rose, Tara

Waiting

Hannah, Lucy, Sonya.

Neemos: Yuki & Mimi

Resins: Mizuumi & Aiko

senyac

I think that if and when Danny make Character Smart Dolls they will be just like how he did the Smart dolls

Preorders at 1st , then always available , maybe on a preorder basis , Just they will cost more due to having to pay a licence agreement for the character , Frankly if you make the molds for a vinyl doll why not make as many as you can sell to cover the cost and make profit ?

I cant understand why Volks keep making Limited numbers of Character Dolls? its only making money for the scalpers . If Volks have the molds why not do a second and third release ect and make more money for Volks and not the scalpers .

princesspink
Maybe it'd work better if they were naked and wigless like the Smart Dolls, since they'll be twice as heavy otherwise.

Funny you said that because it's EXACTLY the same thought I had after trying to balance three of MY girls like in that one photo. I successfully got two of them piggybacked with no problems at all using a DDdy as a base and a DD2 as the one on top. I tried to put my DDS on top of those but the DDdy hips kept giving out and moving left or right on me once I had them almost balanced. I think if none of them had on clothing or shoes or wigs like the SD girls had, I could get them balanced. Weight seemed to be more the issue for me than actual balance.

I took a couple of pics from various angles to show I wasn't cheating but I haven't uploaded them yet. I'll do so sometime today.

Billy

Thank you for the info and pics! Certainly very helpful!

I need to get a Smartdoll now!

Do you know if Smartdoll boy Eiji head fits on the smartdoll girl body? I am thinking of customizing

Eiji into Sailor Uranus/Haruka!

Jezrah

Question for those who have a Mirai/Kizuna home... how thick is the vinyl in her head? Does it seem as though modding by sanding can be done like with a DD?

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

SaraInJapan

I was thinking of opening a new thread but maybe posting it here will be more apropiate.

I have noticed there's Mirai and then there's Ebony and Ivory which are Mirai recolors (tan and white).

Is there no difference in the molds? Why name those that way? Is he not planning on making tan and white versions of the other dolls?

To be honest it makes me a little confused. Maybe there's something I misunderstood.

Error-Chan
I was thinking of opening a new thread but maybe posting it here will be more apropiate.

I have noticed there's Mirai and then there's Ebony and Ivory which are Mirai recolors (tan and white).

Is there no difference in the molds? Why name those that way? Is he not planning on making tan and white versions of the other dolls?

To be honest it makes me a little confused. Maybe there's something I misunderstood.

I think the names Ebony and Ivory are the Names not really meant for the skin colours. (The tan skin Eiji had a code name of Crimson thought he is identical to the Ebony skin.) Ivory also is the same skin as Mirai. atm there are only 3 molds done by Danny the main one is for the girls used by Mirai,Ebony, Ivory ect.. then there is Eiji's sculpt and last of all is Chitose she will be out in March i think.

Names are just there names i think nothing overly special for them just a name so he can call the doll something.

Yes he plans to make tan and other skin tones including dark skin (Harmony) and he also showed us a test of a bright red skin tone a wile back.

I hope that helped you a little =)

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Monty

Also, although I've said this in other threads but it bears repeating - Ivory isnt white-skinned, she's the exact same colour as Mirai and Kizuna. The 'difference' is her faceup, eye colour and wig. Ebony and Ivory both have the same faceup, wig and eye colour, but different skin-tones. (since their faceups are different i dont think they classify as mirai recolours) As far as I can tell Harmony has the same faceup as Ebony/Ivory too, but I don't think she's finalised yet. So technically there hasn't actually been a tan Mirai or Kizuna, nor a tan Eiji, because while the sculpts may be the same the faceups are different enough to be separate characters. I'm curious how he will change the faceup for the 'tan Chitose' he said he'll have eventually.

also they -are- just all names (I'm assuming 'Crimson' is referring more to his eye colour), but Danny does tend to make it a little confusing by sometimes using 'ebony' and 'harmony' as adjectives.

wally

Hi all! I just joined the forum and am new to this type of doll (should I say DD?). I have collected resin BJDs for many years and have just ordered the Smart Doll Mirai, which will be my first (DD?) of this type. This thread has been fascinating to read through, I've learned a lot from you all already, so I wanted to say thanks!

I'm afraid I'll have a lot of questions about my new girl, I will read as much as I can so as not to be redundant, but I hope you'll all bear with my newb-ness!

jazijaz
Hi all! I just joined the forum and am new to this type of doll (should I say DD?). I have collected resin BJDs for many years and have just ordered the Smart Doll Mirai, which will be my first (DD?) of this type. This thread has been fascinating to read through, I've learned a lot from you all already, so I wanted to say thanks!

I'm afraid I'll have a lot of questions about my new girl, I will read as much as I can so as not to be redundant, but I hope you'll all bear with my newb-ness!

Hi Willy!

Welcome to the forum! I'm pretty much a newbie like you when it comes to DDs and I also collected the resin babies for many years (and still do) but the people here are very helpful so don't be afraid of asking, PM me if you'd like! and congrats on Mirai! she's the most adorable girl she's my favorite of all Smart doll girls and DD girls so great choice!! . Btw, they're very similar to DDs but you can call them Smart Dolls or SMD. =]

Ajahli

Danny said they will be releasing the Smart Doll bodies soon, with an additional neck piece for different types of heads!

I hope he will release the heads separately at some point too

Monty

Bad news - apparently 'a certain person from a certain doll company' told Danny not to include the adapter to use other company's heads on the smart doll bodies. I don't really get it, but because of this he says he'll no longer be offering them with the neck tubing.

It shouldnt be too hard to mod but I'm still a bit perplexed about this.

Still, cant help wondering who this 'certain doll company' might be but I do have my guesses...

Error-Chan
Bad news - apparently 'a certain person from a certain doll company' told Danny not to include the adapter to use other company's heads on the smart doll bodies. I don't really get it, but because of this he says he'll no longer be offering them with the neck tubing.

It shouldnt be too hard to mod but I'm still a bit perplexed about this.

Still, cant help wondering who this 'certain doll company' might be but I do have my guesses...

sounds sad really for people that wanted the extra pieces. i certainly can think who the other was since i have heard things where company's have even refused to let a shop be a dealer due to them selling a rival company items also.

its stupidly easy to have a quick fix to keep a head on like my Obitsu head being kept on by a bottle cap XD buyers just have to get creative with it haha

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Eustia

A shame. I was looking forward to getting an SMD body to use my spare DD head on. Can't be arsed giving Danny money if it will be a bother to fit the head.

Kumi

AFAIK fitting a DD head on SmD body is rather easy.

The SmD neck peg is smaller in diameter so You probably need only a kind of tube to make it thicker.

K-2
AFAIK fitting a DD head on SmD body is rather easy.

The SmD neck peg is smaller in diameter so You probably need only a kind of tube to make it thicker.

Making the neck peg thicker can be done quickly and easily by wrapping it with some tape.

MVSig.jpg

Monty

Given how easy it actually is, it's strange to me that the ''''certain company'''' bothered to get testy about it at all. I mean, people are still going to do it, people already -have- done it, Danny just wanted to make it as simple as possible by including that tubing. And I somehow doubt this is going to decrease many sales for people who planned on doing exactly that.

(Now, if the ''''certain company'''' is who we all think it is, I'd like to be optimistic and hope its because Volks dont want everyone going off to buy the smart doll boy body to use their heads on before they debut their own one, but given that this optimism rides entirely on Kagamine Len having even a slightly masculine body, it's somewhat feeble optimism. Still, Good Smile's Orange Rouge line has exploded, Volks might have finally cottoned on to there being a market for plastic men after all)

Marilyn

I get why a smaller company might not want to pick a fight with a larger, older, well-established juggernaut, but if Danny doesn't offer the adapter someone else will. Scratch that, apparently the mod is super, super easy (see Puppy52's post about it; scroll towards the bottom) and doesn't even require a third party, just some 4mm surgical tubing or tape. "Telling" him not to include the adapter does not even delay the inevitable, and it's a potential PR debacle. Not good business strategy IMHO.

Dollfie Dream Cheryl || Smart Doll Ebony Futaba

Order a doll… empty the bank account… feel like so.

foo

Yea, I was surprised when he said he'd offer it because I was sure that's why the sizes were different in the first place...

Error-Chan

So I am REALLY bored today and been sat pining over Eiji XD (still got things to sell to get him. Damn you second hand market!! lol)

I have been sat here and thinking about the body's they will be selling.. and the price. this is all my working out but I wondered if this may be close to the real price.

Eiji Boxer shots only set 52,000 Yen

Wig - 5,500Y

Eyes - 3,200Y

Boxers - 2.200Y

(All prices for buying items on main site)

Take away from main price.

41,100Y

MY guess work on price

= head 10,000 - 15,000Y ? body 25,000 - 30,000Y ?

Faceup 1,100Y out for face-up work??

not to bad i think if its close to this. (of cores the business side i know nothing about so it may need extra added to cover the work done and so on.)

Would be cool if it is that good amount for just the body my hope for blank head and body at a nice price may be good =)

Also looking at the Crystal Eiji at 35Ky it may be a good pointer to the price too