Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

Mirai SmartDoll Info thread (UPDATED)

senyac

I am not surprised , Danny visited the Volks Store and workshop/production line to see how dollfies were made before he started making Smart Doll

LemonMeringue

Thank you for showing us how to change her bust and her hands!

I have just ordered her hands So, I will definitely be coming back to your post

Thank you again!!

thecollegefreshman

I have a quick question! I have ordered my Ebony Futaba and cannot wait to get her Also ordered her extra set of hands and might order her large bust...

Anyhoo, my question is if she fits any of the DDY outfits with her large bust? I would LOVE to get her the Volks Bunny Outfit, but want to make she if it will fit Any info would be greatly appreciated! Also, have any of you tried glass eyes on their Smart Dolls? Thanks!

Yumeiro

I read that Smart Dolls "does not like" water, could anyone clarify?

Is it a matter of damaging the doll or is it just because of the "may ruin faceup"-or-something reason?

senyac
I read that Smart Dolls "does not like" water, could anyone clarify?

Is it a matter of damaging the doll or is it just because of the "may ruin faceup"-or-something reason?

Don't worry it was a joke Danny made ,

Here is the joke/quote from the smart doll page :

"Folks may be intimidated by the apparent amount of care they need but there is nothing to it!

There are only 3 basic rules:-

(1) no bright light

(2) don't get them wet

(3) never feed them after midnight."

Its a Joke , the reference is from the Movie Gremlins

Yumeiro

@senyac, really..?! ಠ_ಠ

I have not seen that movie, for one. But I thought there was some "proper" reason to it. Same with the light.

I am not too invested in what properties the material has, so I felt it best to ask. But I am glad that it is a joke, I guess!

Mysha

I'm not really sure it's all joke... As far as I know, a vinyl would deform (swell ?) and stain if it get wet. As for the bright light, I'm sure Danny meant long exposure to sunlight that would at least ruin a faceup (or even a vinyl itself).

Don't all of this apply to DDs too?

37542208752_7cbdd8660f.jpg

- Kizuna [smart Doll] - Isabelle [saber Extra + Obitsu60] - Maya [DDS DDH-06] - Angelica [DD Sakuya] - Kitty [MDD Mariko] - Moonlight [smart Doll] - Emily [DD Miku] -

https://annasangels.capsel.org/

Jezrah

Vinyl doesn't get ruined by water or they wouldn't have made flooring out of it. I regularly rinse my DDs in water to remove zit cream during stain treatment. It's fine, it won't hurt anything. Clothing, wig, doll, all can be cleaned in water. I'm not sure about a Smart Doll's faceup being vulnerable, as I don't yet have one, but a Volks faceup is fine in just water.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Yumeiro
I'm not sure about a Smart Doll's faceup being vulnerable, as I don't yet have one, but a Volks faceup is fine in just water.

But this is about Smart Doll specifically...

Like I said, I am not sure about the material for Smart Doll. Is it the very same as Dollfie Dream..?

I thought that some property was different, so that is why they generally should not be placed in water - or get wet - as mentioned by Danny Choo.

Jezrah

Vinyl is still vinyl, chemical formula PVC. It is used as an outdoor material all the time, like for seat cushion coverings. I have never heard of anything made of vinyl being destroyed by only water. As with DDs, the only thing you have to worry about is drying out the insides properly so you don't get mold/mildew, because that would stain. And perhaps Danny would be worried about getting the metal screws wet, but again, as long as everything is properly dried and not left soaking in water for days it's not an issue.

Most likely it is just a joke referencing Gremlins, like was previously said. But if you're truly worried I'm sure Danny would answer for you.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Cauldroness

I do own a Smart Doll, so I can say for certain:

Water does not damage the vinyl or the face-ups. I've gotten my Smart Doll wet to wash off bits of dirt or dust or what not, and I've even used a mild soap, and nothing happened. You don't want water to get trapped inside of the body, because it can rust any metal bits or cause mildew, but that's about it.

Light does not damage the vinyl or the face-ups. Sure, it might after a decade or so because just about everything fades if it gets enough sunlight, but all of my DDs and my Smart Doll live in my second bedroom, getting full sunlight from the patio door. In fact, my Smart Doll is one of the closest to my window and is totally fine. (Yes, I do realize this will slowly bleach their clothes after several months, but I'd rather see my girls and get them new clothes than hide them away and have perfect clothes.)

Light is bad for most BJDs, but they're made out of resin, not vinyl. Smart Doll is made out of vinyl, and the material is not significantly different from the vinyl used for DDs.

So yeah, Danny Choo was most definitely joking (although don't try to feed them, certain foods might actually stain the vinyl).

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

senyac

yeah water is not a problem , I have Mirai and Kizuna and used Hot water to heat the hands to change them and it caused no problems , I have also wiped them down with a wet cloth without any problems with the vinyl or faceups just like DDs both are made from vinyl and direct sun light can cause yellowing or fading , so best not to leave in direct sun light for too long , but water is not a problem

As I said before its a joke about the Gremlins movie .

Gremlins are cute furry creatures for Pets but they come with a warning

(1) no bright light

(2) don't get them wet

(3) never feed them after midnight

Bright lights hurt gremlins

getting them wet causes a reaction which makes them to reproduce by the hundreds

and feeding them after midnight causes them to turn into monsters which will try to kill you

So I am glad its just a joke by Danny I don't want my smartdoll turning into a killing monster lol

Monty

However, I would really like to see someone draw a picture of how they imagine a 'transformed' version of a smart doll a la gremlins (I might draw it myself...)

Yumeiro

Thanks guys!

Glad to know Smart Dolls would not be a so-called special case in some way then.

However, I would really like to see someone draw a picture of how they imagine a 'transformed' version of a smart doll a la gremlins (I might draw it myself...)

Or they turn into the 1/2 sized model... Was there not talk about a flamethrower..?

LemonMeringue

LOL, yes, I asked Danny about this, and he confirms that it's just a joke. and it's about the Gremlins movie.

I would really really love to see someone draw a smartdoll turning into a monster? LOL

yeah water is not a problem , I have Mirai and Kizuna and used Hot water to heat the hands to change them and it caused no problems , I have also wiped them down with a wet cloth without any problems with the vinyl or faceups just like DDs both are made from vinyl and direct sun light can cause yellowing or fading , so best not to leave in direct sun light for too long , but water is not a problem

As I said before its a joke about the Gremlins movie .

Gremlins are cute furry creatures for Pets but they come with a warning

(1) no bright light

(2) don't get them wet

(3) never feed them after midnight

Bright lights hurt gremlins

getting them wet causes a reaction which makes them to reproduce by the hundreds

and feeding them after midnight causes them to turn into monsters which will try to kill you

So I am glad its just a joke by Danny I don't want my smartdoll turning into a killing monster lol

McKennachu

Sorry if this has already been asked (I tried skimming the pages of this thread for an answer), but how big are Smart Doll eyes? I'm sure they're either 22mm or 24mm since the heads seem pretty big but I'd like to know definitively before I try to order some new eyes in advance. ^^

Also, are Smart Doll heads close in shape to any from the Dollfie Dream line?

Cauldroness

Their default eyes are 22mm.

Heads are similar size to most DD; they wear 8-9 wigs.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Monty

On the topic of wigs - something I'm curious about:

Does anyone know if Smartdoll's vinyl stains easier, more easy or about the same as DD? I've heard dark colous stain vinyl very easily to the extent that even wigs can do this. However, I see plenty of DDs with darker hair anyway...

Mainly I'm asking this because once I get Eiji I plan to stick a blue wig on him (to turn him into Kaito), although if I had Mirai I'd probably want to try all kinds of colours. So if someone were to do this, are there certain types of wigs (brands?) that should be flat-out avoided for DD owners? (Because the style and colour I want seems to be really hard to find, and the ones I like best are ebay ones and I worry about them being cheap and more stainable)or do most wigs carry the same staining risk?

I suppose a better question would be if anyone has had any issues with wig-staining and smart dolls?

baldylox
On the topic of wigs - something I'm curious about:

Does anyone know if Smartdoll's vinyl stains easier, more easy or about the same as DD? I've heard dark colous stain vinyl very easily to the extent that even wigs can do this. However, I see plenty of DDs with darker hair anyway...

So far, I haven't seen my Mirai get any stains at all. But I do try my best not to put her in anything that might stain her to begin with. But her vinyl feels very similar to the DD vinyl so while it may not be the same chemically, it sure looks and feels similar. I'm not sure if it will stain more or less easily than the Volks vinyl but as long as you try to keep very dark colors away from the vinyl, you should be fine.

Mainly I'm asking this because once I get Eiji I plan to stick a blue wig on him (to turn him into Kaito), although if I had Mirai I'd probably want to try all kinds of colours. So if someone were to do this, are there certain types of wigs (brands?) that should be flat-out avoided for DD owners? (Because the style and colour I want seems to be really hard to find, and the ones I like best are ebay ones and I worry about them being cheap and more stainable)or do most wigs carry the same staining risk? I suppose a better question would be if anyone has had any issues with wig-staining and smart dolls?

I've only left Mirai's default wig on her so I can't say I've seen other wigs stain other peoples. But wigs to avoid are the ones with dark colored inner caps.... those tend to stain easily on DD girls. Volks wigs stain and so do Leeke World ones. Most of the brighter or darker colored wigs I have that have dark inner caps have indeed stained my girls heads. But the ones with lighter inner caps have not. The best thing to do is to get a silicone wig cap and put a cloth wig cap on top of that to prevent staining. It's what I do and it works well.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

foo

In addition to dark wig caps, the other ways that a wig can stain is if they use powders to make the wigs multicolor. Like if some strands of hair have different colours.

Some wigs do actually use different strands of colour, but some use powders to do colour changes. If hair changes colour along the length of the thing, so that the tips of the wig are a different colour then than near the head like a gradient, then they're most likely using powders and they'll rub off onto vinyl and stain.

Mysha

For folks who would like to buy Kizuna

Also, its Kizuna Yumeno's birthday this Sunday Nov 1st! It was also the day that her Smart Doll was released last year. To celebrate, Kizuna will be 11% off ("11" as in "Nov 1st" ^^ ) from 11/1 11AM JST - 11/1 23:59 JST. Kizuna will only be discounted in this window only - no exceptions ><

37542208752_7cbdd8660f.jpg

- Kizuna [smart Doll] - Isabelle [saber Extra + Obitsu60] - Maya [DDS DDH-06] - Angelica [DD Sakuya] - Kitty [MDD Mariko] - Moonlight [smart Doll] - Emily [DD Miku] -

https://annasangels.capsel.org/

Yumeiro

Has anyone heard anything new about Genesis (namely a release window)?

I am tempted to mail and ask, but it would feel sort of rude to do so and I am not sure I would receive a reply either.

Otaku705

why is it called a smart doll just wondering???

Conuresans
why is it called a smart doll just wondering???

They're called Smart Dolls because Danny Choo(The creator)'s original intention was to create a 1/3 scale robotic doll that you could interact with. Unfortunately, for the time being he put that idea to the side due to lack of funds to create the electronics needed for that in that size. However if I do remember correctly, he's currently working on a manual 120cm girl (1/2 scale, right?) to possibly eventually begin working towards his original intention of making robotic dolls featuring his cast of characters from his company. The first doll he made for sale was Mirai, his mascot, followed by Kizuna and now Eiji, followed by Ivory and Ebony.

You can find more details on them here: http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/27274/Smart+Doll.html

Hopefully this helped! I thinkk I got most of it. Although if I missed something or didn't get something in my explanation quite right, please feel free to add onto this. >w>;

Home: Melt (DDH-09), Kano (Iris Collect), Kirika, Y'Shtola, Suzune (Iris Collect Petite)

Otaku705

i see but then he should not be saying that there better then a Dollfie right??