Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

Mirai SmartDoll Info thread (UPDATED)

Weltfremd

It's super confusing. I always thought Ebony is just Mirai Tan ver. and I thought Futaba was a lighter skin but she is in fact "normal skin" color as mirai.. super weird..

court_baker

Okay so weird question, do you think its possible for a resin head to fit onto the smart doll body? I am quite fond of the iplehouse heads, but I hate strung bodies.

Kumi

It's possible, the same way as it was possible for DD bodies.

You either use elastic (fixed to skeleton shoulders) and S-hook, or use the peg and secure the head by something on it. Like plastic bottle cap with drilled hole in it.

court_baker

Oh thats right! I hadn't considered that! Does anyone know whether or not the mirai frame would fit on the inside of a BJD? Because otherwise I'm not sure why it exists, and it would be so cool if it did.

Kumi

The Mirai frame exist in case You totally break Your SmD or You want something to DIY.

Does anyone know whether or not the mirai frame would fit on the inside of a BJD?

It won't fit.

Did You ever looked inside a BJD? Because there isn't much inside apart from resin, resin and even more resin.

And only a hole for the elastic

Basically, the whole BJD is resin. It's not hollow, so there is no place for any frame, and it's heavy.

Aurora

Just a quick note to say hello. I went mad and bought a second-hand Mirai this week and am anxiously waiting for her to arrive. She's my first Dollfie Dream type doll since I bought an Obitsu Gretel (?) about 10 years ago, before I could afford a resin bjd, so she's quite a departure for me.

Error-Chan
Just a quick note to say hello. I went mad and bought a second-hand Mirai this week and am anxiously waiting for her to arrive. She's my first Dollfie Dream type doll since I bought an Obitsu Gretel (?) about 10 years ago, before I could afford a resin bjd, so she's quite a departure for me.

Grats on your new vinyl girl! I started with a Ob Gretel too (and I still have her head though shes hybrid with a DD body ATM.)

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Aurora

I'm waiting for my Mirai to arrive (she's out for delivery) so have been googling and watching YouTube videos. I still have some questions and thought you might be able to help.

• When was the very first (possibly limited - I have no idea) Mirai released?

• When was the first general release (if it was different)?

• How many versions of Mirai are there and what are the differences between them?

I've seen posts suggesting the eyes have changed from resin to acrylic and know that the default outfit changed this year but can't find the details.

Error-Chan

• When was the very first (possibly limited - I have no idea) Mirai released?

I'm not sure on the exact date they started being released but Bill posted this thread on Jul 03, 2014 so I would say June/July ish they were released. (i will keep looking for the date and edit this =p )

they were never "Limited" but the stock was limited. Once they sold them they would then start making them again and then reopen the sale post. so it was more of a waiting game rather then you cant get it again.

• When was the first general release (if it was different)?

same as above. it was more of a re-stock business. though the other girls came out one by one. i can look them up if you like ^^

• How many versions of Mirai are there and what are the differences between them?

Mirai her self has 3 different one. first is the original girl with jeans in her outfit, Second is the newer default outfit with the Cod trousers and then there is TAN Mirai.. you see her in Photos Danny posts BUT she is not for sale at this time.

the sculpt it self is used for all the Smart doll girls (but not Chitose Shirasawa) the difference is a face-up mainly (and the the skin colours for Ebony and Harmony ) then the items they come with like eyes and wig are different too.

I've seen posts suggesting the eyes have changed from resin to acrylic and know that the default outfit changed this year but can't find the details.

Eyes I am not sure when it happened I did not see the before just the fact they HAD changed them to acrylic to save money. Though the Eiji/Smart doll guy eyes are still resin.

This is the chat about the default outfit change (the trousers mainly) viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14073

If i have missed anything i am sure someone else can fill in the bits ^^

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Marilyn

Eyes I am not sure when it happened I did not see the before just the fact they HAD changed them to acrylic to save money. Though the Eiji/Smart doll guy eyes are still resin.

The girls' eyes changed to acrylic before the release of Kizuna, October 2014 to be exact. (ref:

)

Dollfie Dream Cheryl || Smart Doll Ebony Futaba

Order a doll… empty the bank account… feel like so.

Cauldroness

This might be helpful for newcomers:

Same Head Mold:

-- Mirai Suenaga, Mirai Kasshoku, Kizuna, Ebony, Ivory, & Harmony = same mold

-- Chitose Shirasawa & Chitose Kasshoku = same mold

-- Eiji & Crimson = same mold

Same Face-Up:

-- Mirai Suenaga & Mirai Kasshoku = same face-up

-- Chitose Shirasawa & Chitose Kasshoku = same face-up

-- Ebony & Ivory & Harmony = same face-up

-- Eiji = unique face-up

-- Crimson = unique face-up

-- Kizuna = unique face-up

Same Skintone:

-- Mirai Suenaga, Chitose Shirasawa, Kizuna, Ivory, & Eiji = "milk" skin

-- Mirai Kasshoku, Chitose Kasshoku, Ebony, & Crimson = "tea" skin

-- Harmony = "cocoa" skin

And then all girls share the same body (S bust, other busts sold separately) and all guys share the same body.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Aurora

Thank you all for the info. My Mirai arrived yesterday afternoon. She's second hand so not quite a full set (she has the shorter wig, grey beanie rather than brown and no clip) but I'm thrilled with her. I love the way she poses - I'm used to bjds which are posable but much heavier.

K-2
I love the way she poses - I'm used to bjds which are posable but much heavier.

The "lightness" of big vinyl dolls surprises many first time buyers. They make perfect convention companions. They're very durable, easy to clean, and you won't wear yourself out lugging them around all day.

MVSig.jpg

cirquemom

How many versions of Mirai are there and what are the differences between them?

Mirai her self has 3 different one. first is the original girl with jeans in her outfit, Second is the newer default outfit with the Cod trousers and then there is TAN Mirai.. you see her in Photos Danny posts BUT she is not for sale at this time.

Also, remember the first Mirai/Kizuna/maybe Ebony(?) had tee shirts with three-quarter length (elbow length) sleeves, and then that shirt was changed to same shirt but short sleeves.

Joey eljaber

the smart doll currently has an 'extra small' bust, is that like DD's S or SS bust? it looks in between-ish

Yumeiro

I started wondering...

Are there magnets "installed" or embedded in Smart Dolls heads, or do you have to obtain and fix that on your own?

Pink-Yoshi
I started wondering...

Are there magnets "installed" or embedded in Smart Dolls heads, or do you have to obtain and fix that on your own?

When I bought my Mirai in November, she came with one in her head. It's stuck in there with eye putty and looks like a tiny pawn from chess. I'm not sure about the other girls, or even now since the apparel has changed completely

Aurora
Also, remember the first Mirai/Kizuna/maybe Ebony(?) had tee shirts with three-quarter length (elbow length) sleeves, and then that shirt was changed to same shirt but short sleeves.

That's interesting. I've just discovered from another thread that my Mirai was made early this year but she has the 3/4 sleeve 'red' t-shirt.

belpita

I know these dolls are sensitive to darker fabrics, but do you know if the clothes on Smartdoll's own website are safe?

I saw someone who had a sort of protective bodystocking on their doll. Any idea where I can get one of those?

Monty

I dont know what body stockings would fit a smartdoll because their limbs are thinner than a DDs while their legs are longer, so a DD specific one might not fit very well.

Danny actually stain-tests all the clothes, though, unlike Volks. He doesnt approve anything for sale if it stains. I remember months and months ago he posted a picture of some new fluffy material he wanted to make sweaters with that he was currently stain-testing (he does this by attaching fabric samples to vinyl chips/unused bust parts with a rubber band and leaving for a few days/weeks) but I never heard anything about them ever again so either he's just taking a while on them or they ended up staining. So basically anything that's been approved for sale will not stain - and if it does it will be over a long period of time and not excessively. I still do not understand how Volks can sell clothes that stain dolls to hell and back within an hour of wearing them :c

Crashrobot

This might of been mentioned in the thread before but is it possible for a DD head to be put on a SmD body?

Monty

It is. You just need to put something on the neck piece to make it thicker since the DD neckhole is wider than the SmD neckhole - such as a piece of plastic tubing.

fun fact: Danny originally planned to include this piece of tubing with the smart doll bodies sold separately but a 'certain company' told him not to.

fun fact 2: last time I posted that, some time later someone posted a confession about it on a certain bjd confessions blog, where some commenters indirectly accused 'the person on the DD forum who said that' (ie me) of making stuff up to stir up CJxVolks drama but here's the tweet about it:

(translation: yesterday a person from a certain doll company came to the store and asked me 'please dont sell the bodies with the tube that allows other companies heads', so I'm deciding not to include it, I'm sorry.')

fun fact 3: danny later announced he would include an extra piece of tubing that goes over the end of the smart stand as a 'spare', which may or may not be his way of including tubing anyway. I'm not sure if it fits over the neck though.

(yeah I'm still amused at the possibility that it's Volks who were intimidated by a goddamn piece of plastic tubing and still mildly salty at being indirectly called a liar over on tumblr but the bottom line is, it's perfectly possible)

Edit- y'know, if that actually WAS Volks, it makes them making their first male not a preorder even more silly. Volks maybe think about why people want your heads on other company's bodies first...

Crashrobot

Volks finally has competitor that can give them a run for their money.

Where can I get this plastic tubing from?

Danny Choo is awesome. He understands how we want diversity in the DD industry. I also think it's cool that he branched out and made his own line of Dolls. The bodies appear to be more natural looking. I wonder if he will start making mini bodies one day.

baldylox

You can find the tubing at just about any hardware store or home center like Lowes or Home Depot or Ace Hardware. I'd say clear tubing would work best since most of it has a grippy texture on the outside to help hold a head in place better.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.