Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Kitsune

Nier Automata x Dollfie Dream

cfx
3 hours ago, freakie-oppa said:

@cfx Do you mean his cupid's bow? It is very pronounced in the repaint.

I've never heard that term before but I guess that is it; I'm referring to the shape of the outside of the upper lip. The sculpt already emphasizes that thing between the nose and lip (I know that has a name too but I don't know what it is) and that faceup further emphasizes it. I know this is a common thing but it just happens to be a style I don't like. Otherwise that faceup is interesting, and I think it will be really interesting to see what some of the Japanese artists that paint DDs in a sort of hybrid of SD and anime-style like aki_aa do with these two.

3 hours ago, freakie-oppa said:

From what I can tell, both of their heads are probably standard large. From the looks of it, his head could be Kirito's size, and possibly a smidge longer. (It might be bigger than usual, some photos his head doesn't look too big, but others, it is noticeable broad) 😲

It might just be the egghead shape making it look larger, and the perspective if any of these are phone pictures, but I think it's at least sized like larger Volks heads like DDH-07. That in itself is interesting because I'm not sure about Rise but some of the other DD sculpts that are somewhat more realistic like Sheryl are some of Volks' smaller heads.

1 hour ago, Sister Kyoya said:

I would be extremely interested in knowing 9S' head measurement because I need to hunt for a blonde wig for him.

It's just the impression I get from those particular pictures, but I was wondering if he would use a SD wig i.e. 9-10". I'm most familiar with the DDH-07 head which is one of the larger Volks heads, and the usual 8-9" is often really tight to put on that head, and this one looks like it might be larger.

55 minutes ago, Sister Kyoya said:

With those two pics it seems to be that the direction of the lighting on 9S' lips makes a huge difference. If the upper lip casts a bit of a shadow on the lower lip it looks much better. When the light is straight on or a little below then the harsh paint line seems glaring.

I think that's exactly right, and since lighting at home and in the real world in general is usually from above, this probably won't be much of an issue. I'm not certain about 9S from the pictures, but I mentioned Sheryl's mouth somewhere earlier, and the way it is painted, part of that darker color is really on the upper lip, because the actual open gap in the sculpt isn't as much as the painting suggests. There's nothing wrong with doing this, but it does have the quirk of looking a bit odd from very low angles or direct head-on lighting.

Edited by cfx

JChiibs

Has anyone seen either of these two in pics with any other DD sculpts except each other? Frankly I find it hard to judge the proportion of 9S' head when they only seem to be visually referencing one another. It just makes me feel like I did when looking up a dictionary definition as a kid and it referred to another word. Looked that one up and it only referenced back to the word I started with. :lol:

~SK

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Beani

@Aliens_Of_Gold The outfit is lined but black is always a risk (and yes the fabric will be a dust magnet). Due to the placement of the holes in the outfit a normal body stocking would have looked ridiculous so it was very thoughtful of Volks to include this special one. They actually announced it very early on as well and all prototypes we saw were wearing them. It’s quite inconspicuous.

@Sister Kyoya I can’t help with 9S but here’s 2B with Rin Tohsaka. I feel 2Bs head actually seems smaller and all the size is coming from the wig. It has a lot of volume to it. 

I can try measuring her whenever I get to wig tests but I have to run to work now.

5B62B8D9-B774-4743-8650-B01CAD2F9507.jpeg

Edited by Beani
  • Like 3

cfx

Seeing them both together wigless, it looks to me like 9S' head is quite a bit larger than 2B's or at the very least, taller, though I think the angles are a bit different:

Aliens_Of_Gold

If I made an order whilst also waiting for 2B to ship, would that new order be put on hold to ship with 2B or are Volks Japan just really slow this time of year?

I put an order in for some items about 5 days ago and still waiting on shipping.

cfx

In my experience about a week is how long Volks Japan usually takes to process and ship an order, so it's probably nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe they're a little busier with the dolls too, but I don't think your order is on hold.

BeyondTime

I’m not at all surprised 9S looks that good as a girl. Definitely a face that can work well with short hair. 

2B is pretty cool too. Not surprised to hear she takes so long to dress.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Monty
2 hours ago, Aliens_Of_Gold said:

If I made an order whilst also waiting for 2B to ship, would that new order be put on hold to ship with 2B or are Volks Japan just really slow this time of year?

I put an order in for some items about 5 days ago and still waiting on shipping.

I’ve yet to hear of anyone from outside Japan getting a shipping email yet.

I knew it wasn’t gonna happen on the first day and they did say in advance it’d take a fair few days to complete the shipments but I’m going crazy here... I need to stop refreshing my inbox.

LynaLune

Wow, 2B looks beautiful in that long, white wig. I think she'd look good in a Lolita style dress. 😍

Edited by LynaLune

Aliens_Of_Gold
7 hours ago, Monty said:

I’ve yet to hear of anyone from outside Japan getting a shipping email yet.

I knew it wasn’t gonna happen on the first day and they did say in advance it’d take a fair few days to complete the shipments but I’m going crazy here... I need to stop refreshing my inbox.

I think one of the emails said it could be 2 weeks at least after payment before they start shipping. Not so much concerned about that than I am the new order I made that I would like to arrive before Christmas. Looking more and more unlikely as each day passes with no word.

I guess if it's late it's late and if not...

Beani

@Monty Man she looks absolutely stunning there. I need to learn to style wigs properly lol. 

BeyondTime
9 hours ago, Monty said:

BIG fan of this 2B I saw earlier 🥰

I will say that images like that make DDDy feel like a good choice for the doll. There is just something about that face and her expression that really fits curvy.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

McKennachu

Hopefully that smooth-bust one piece torso that 2B comes with becomes a staple with the DDdy line as well. It'd be great to have one on hand in tan for cropped outfits and DDdy is pretty neglected in comparison to other body types.

cfx

Weird; I can see @Monty's picture now; last night and earlier today it was just a blank area in the post for me, both on this computer and two different phone browsers.

Personally I don't think I will ever find the DDdy body to look right on any doll and this doesn't change that.

38 minutes ago, McKennachu said:

Hopefully that smooth-bust one piece torso that 2B comes with becomes a staple with the DDdy line as well.

It's a smooth bust, but it isn't a one-piece torso; it's still the usual two pieces. I imagine the bust will become standard, though it'll be a bit weird that there's a smooth shapely bust and not one for the regular DDdy.

Edited by cfx

Aliens_Of_Gold
5 hours ago, cfx said:

It's a smooth bust, but it isn't a one-piece torso; it's still the usual two pieces. I imagine the bust will become standard, though it'll be a bit weird that there's a smooth shapely bust and not one for the regular DDdy.

Does 2B come with a new bust? It looked the same to me, but I've never really looked into DDdy before. Not really a fan of the odd shaped bust.

cfx
12 minutes ago, Aliens_Of_Gold said:

Does 2B come with a new bust? It looked the same to me, but I've never really looked into DDdy before. Not really a fan of the odd shaped bust.

It's a "flat" version of the existing DDdy shapely (push-up bra style) bust. In Volks terms, flat means no "headlights." On regular DD and DDS, Volks has a flat L bust, but not a flat L shapely bust. The smaller DDS busts have less prominent headlights anyway, but I do wish they had flat S and M busts for DD so you didn't get the pointy bits sticking out through clothing.

I don't like either of the DDdy busts; in my opinion they look unnatural and a bit ridiculous. Yoko Littner came with a different one that was more like the DD L bust and looked better to me.

Edited by cfx

McKennachu
9 hours ago, cfx said:

I could have sworn it said "one piece" at some point, oh well. A smooth bust is still something to get excited for. My overall sentiment still stands though- I really enjoy the DDdy body and would love to have the same selection of body parts that other lines have. 

cfx
17 minutes ago, McKennachu said:

the same selection of body parts that other lines have.

They're working on that, by discontinuing the one-piece torsos for DD and DDS (no f3 versions, at least not yet). :|

Nyx Whitestar
On 12/7/2019 at 6:37 AM, cfx said:

Some of the faceup changes are probably because of what can and can't be done with paint masks. On 9S, what I immediatly noticed is the dark brown to make the mouth look open has hard lines; it reminds me now of Luka's mouth but without teeth.

One of Volks pics of 2B for reference:

ddb-clm-0126_04.jpg

From @Monty's twitter link, the most immediately obvious change is the white highlight line on 2B's lower eyelids is gone. The inner eye corners also appear to be black or dark brown now, with the red only used as an outside highlight or eye shadow effect like often done on DDs. Edit: Pics on the other twitter show the lower inner parts are still red, but that corner has been changed a little. All of the eyelash lines stand out more because they don't have the soft effect. I suspect it's to balance that out that the lips seem to be brigher as well.

I never really specifically noticed that white line before now, but I think it being missing is unfortunate as she looks quite a bit better to me with it.

The eyes seem less striking, more blue with far less of the iris pattern visible, though maybe that's just lighting or photography.

I guess they didn't make her a special bust because they didn't want a non-standard part, though it's a bit odd because it isn't a current standard part since it's "flat" though they can now offer that as a normal part. Well, I posted my opinion long ago in the thread I didn't think she should've been DDdy, but that's probably just my dislike of that body talking.

For my part, I've noticed this white line on the promo pic and was glad it didn't disappear! Users pics has different lighting and resolutions and it may seems the white line is gone on some pics, but here I clearly see it on the third pic for example:

Like you said, I think it's the same thing with the eyes, on the promo pic the lighting is clearly directed in the eyes, in my opinion they are too much saturated and looks better on the owner pics, still with a "clear blue" faithful to the game.

2B and 9S really are stunning and I can't wait to received them, I find them even more beautiful than expected! 2B face seems more round on the promo pic, I like her even better on owner pic, narrower <3 

• Like 1

ig-log10.png ap10.png

Aliens_Of_Gold

2B has been shipped. I guess the smaller order will be in a few days.

Exciting and terrifying at the same time.

Edited by Aliens_Of_Gold
  • Like 2

cfx
1 hour ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

For my part, I've noticed this white line on the promo pic and was glad it didn't disappear! Users pics has different lighting and resolutions and it may seems the white line is gone on some pics, but here I clearly see it on the third pic for example:

I can see that now. It may be that that the color isn't as stark pure white as the prototype, so that it blends in a bit more. With pictures and lighting it's alwyas hard to judge.

Volks official pics seem to always make the eyes look lighter. These resins for these dolls are probably different in this respect, but I think with most DDs they tend to photograph them where the light reflections from the metallic are really strong.

Volks obviously uses a specific style of studio lighting for all their official doll pictures, but it's not the most flattering, and isn't really very much like the lighting we all see the dolls in, in reality.

• Like 1

Nyx Whitestar

I just received the shipping notification email too (shipping to France)! I'm SO glad! I'm a bit afraid too, as the Christmas period is always a bad period with a lot of packages being lost or stolen in France :( I will be stressed until they arrive!

Edited by Nyx Whitestar

ig-log10.png ap10.png

toppz1008

I also got shipping notifications email..but only 2b. I hope they both will arrive before Christmas. 

Nyx Whitestar

I didn't pay enough attention to the mail, indeed the mail was only about 2B!

ig-log10.png ap10.png